Pet stories

monkeygirl

You guys with fireworks-sensitive dogs do NOT want to live in my neighborhood. The 4th of July fireworks start in mid-June, and last through August :p

And of course now it's gun season (or my neighbors are jumping the gun... er, heh), so there's even more explosions! :p

Cashmere - put things that aren't kitties in your cupboards! :p

I've discoverd that my kitty chases his tail....I guess he thinks he's a dog??

Small Boy did that!!!

My cat Meeko will probably pass on today. I cannot wait to go home after work and check on him. I am antsy as hell right now and I keep calling and leaving phone messages so he can hear my voice. He stopped eating food Sunday and his lips and tongue are pale. He doesn't focus his eyes really well. He still licks himself and he's a tad restless, but I know it's coming. The new cat never leaves him except to eat or go to the bathroom. She sleeps close to him and keeps him warm. I was worried about leaving her with him at first, but I think it's good. Anyways, send good juu juu.

I live in an apartment and I've asked a friend if it's possible I could bury him on his property. He once stalked a deer on their property and had a good time running in the tall grass there.

I tried to call in sick, but they couldn't find a substitute. I need my job and stuff. But let me tell you I'm a wreck. I did get a sub tomorrow. He will drink water and loves to be rubbed lightly. He doesn't purr and every once in a while he freaks me out with a death rattle like sound. I'm pretty sure he has pnuemonia and I've made an appointment tomorrow morning, like first thing to have him looked at. I seriously thought he had a hairball because he'd been running around playing with the baby kitty on Friday night and Saturday. He's sleeping soundly and I got him to eat two bites of tuna. IF he gets worse through the night I found an pet emergency room that will take him in.

The vet knows him. He bit him once hard enough to draw blood and he's caused a ruckus in the waiting room once when I let him get loose from his leash.

Anyways, I don't have many to share this with because the reaction I got on the phone with the secretary at school was 'it's just a cat.'

Meeko's been with me since the worst part of my lifeand some pretty traumic changes for me. He's stuck it through.

Anyways, I don't have many to share this with because the reaction I got on the phone with the secretary at school was 'it's just a cat.'

What a souless response, ggrrrr!

I hope the vet can do something for Meeko Mrs Spam, sending healing vibes his way! }}}}}}}}}

I have a little tea cup I bought at a gift shop at a museum once that has a dove drawn by picasso on it. Every time I vacuum I would check the house for loose Meeko whiskers. Today I found myself counting those whiskers. I have something like five hundred of his long white persian whiskers. He's not responding to anything and the vet says they're going to make him comfortable through the night. I can't spend the night at the vets, but tomorrow early in the morning they're going to euthanize him unless he passes in the night. I hate that word.

Yesterday at school I looked up all kinds of things about this online. I grew up on a farm and I'm no stranger, but still, I can cry at like the drop of a hat.

He passed on today at 6:25. I called the nearest pet hospital to me when this first started up on Sunday because I wanted to be near. I usually take him to someone who has worked on my Mom's horses, my goats when I raised goats and all the cats and dogs that ever passed through our ranch. They've known my family for years, charge a nice fee that is within my means and won't let an animal suffer. However, I in a panicked state wanted something near to the apartment and just randomly selected a hospital that showed up on my first google.

I have to say, these people at that hospital have been more than great. They didn't let me stay in the waiting room with my dying cat wrapped in a towel. They took him immediately without forcing a bunch of paperwork in my face first. The doctor that helped me make the decision to euthanize was patient and kind. She even stayed in the room with me stroking my cats fur after the drug had been administered. Originally they thought they'd get him rehydrated and then see where to go from there, but they called me and told me that even if I get him revived and spend the money to get him back, he'd live another few months. It's rare a Persian cat lives as long as he did.

We must be thankful. I want to thank you guys too for being there. A lot of my friends have kids and a billion things to do and I can't or don't feel like burdening them with something like this.

I will definitely be getting my kittens shots and her spaying done at this hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are great, MG.

I have a funny story about my new kitten, Allah akbar (I've not named the kitten yet but Holy Terror, Tarbaby and Momma are some of the names I've been testing on her along with Allah Akbar). I'm not home a lot during the day so my cats pretty much sleep and wait for me to get home and seem to get attack-active. They are so cheap. There's wadded up newspaper, a shoelace from a dead shoe and a straw that seems to occupy most of their activity. But that's just play acting for what really happens when the lights go out.

They let things settle down. They eat a little maybe make a nocturnal visit to the litter box. And then at two am it's destructo time. Little1 just watches idly. But the little kitten has destroyed a jade plant, eaten a bill, pushed my printer off the desk (I am partially at fault because I didn't have exactly on the desk. My work had slowly slid it to the edge of the desk so a corner was precariously hanging over an edge).

My favorite attack is the nose attack. I have a tall dresser next to my bed and the kitten she likes to get up there, push a few things off and then sit on the edge of the dresser peering down at me contemplating the best way to attack while I'm sleeping. Then suddenly she'll go all batman and stuff and jump off the edge of the dresser, her little paws akimbo, like a skydiver. THEN, POUNCE she's dead center in my face, licking me with her little pink tongue. I then get the love-bite on the nose. Then the final thing is to curl up and snuggle up next to my neck on the pillow.

I love the landmines she lives too as I get up to go to the bathroom and step on the trinkets and stuff she's pushed off the dresser.

She's starting to get a silver belly and she's got a long tail.

Oh and something else really sweet, the doctor that helped me with Meeko sent me a really nice condolence card. I've never gotten something like that from a vet. How nice is that?

MG, your cats are simultaneously handsome and hilarious! :lol:

Ms. Spam, I'm so glad you gave your fosterling a home! Even if she is a little **** :lol: My cousins are dealing with similar, they just rescued kitty #6 (not to be confused with their naming their new cat after our esteemed admin, this is their sixth cat), a teenage kitten that is tearing the house to pieces. My mom swears he's Small Boy reincarnated :lol:

Oh and something else really sweet, the doctor that helped me with Meeko sent me a really nice condolence card. I've never gotten something like that from a vet. How nice is that?

Our vet does that. It's very, very sweet and nice, tho I couldn't bear to read the one she sent when we lost Sweetie :(

So, on a happier note, my cat Pookie has turned into a little ****. Our alpha female is Daisy, a very venerable 15-year-old who has a basket. It is her basket, and damn anyone else who tries to sleep in it.

Pookie, the youngest at 5yo, wants the basket. Pookie also wants to terrorize the old lady. She lays in wait.

But Daisy isn't exactly frail or a pushover. It turns loud and rather hilariously ugly. We had to give Pookie her own basket :lol:

Pookie is such an ass anyway, she knows how to manipulate us. She knows she's not allowed on the kitchen counter, and she knows we'll put her outside in punishment... so she purposefully jumps on the counter and sticks her nose in everything until we put her out.

Nope, she's declawed in the front anyway. She might have launched herself from the water cooler that's against that wall and a little to the left of the ledge... but that's still a good 6ft jump, straight up, and she would have landed on the oil lamps. All of which made it through this unscathed :shrug:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.