Pet stories

monkeygirl

QUIT MAKING FUN OF MINNIE! Sleeping under covers isn't a sign of idiocy!

I don't know, Foozle does it... yeah :lol: It sure is cute, tho!

I hate to bring the thread down... but Sweetie crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Monday. It was really weird, she went from being just fine to having really severe seizures and being partially paralyzed, among other horrors.

So... not a cute story, but you guys have been following her story, so I thought I'd share.

Thanks MG :) I waited to post that here in part because I thought it might upset you...

I'm going to have to learn to love tortoises. I hate this pets dying before pet owners crap.

Or parrots! They live absurdly long lives as well!

Unless it's the Monty Python parrot. Or Ovid's Corinna's parrot. Better stick with a tortoise.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Icy. :( Is she the one you just rescued? (Sorry if I missed the naming thread.)

A friend of mine just rescued a dog from a shelter. She was perfect and wonderful and loving and totally chill, but she had a nasty virus that took effect about three days after she came home. Due to a series of misdiagnoses and miscommunications at the veterinary office, she died a week after Lily got her. :( And the worst part is that when Lily called to see if she could get a refund for the medicine that led to her dog's death, the owner of the vet practice berated her and chewed her out for "harassing" his receptionist. (Lily is one of the most laid back, polite people I have ever met. I'm positive that despite her high emotions and frustration, she did not harrass anyone.)

This is the vet that I've been taking Calli to. We have had only good experiences, but I can't imagine being treated that way if they killed my pup. I am going to take Calli for a booster shot tomorrow, and have prepared a short speech, which I will deliver to the receptionist or owner if possible about why I will be taking my pup and my money elsewhere. I hope I can make it through without crying.

Cashmere, that's such a sad and scary story.

So I just put the dogs outside so I could take a shower without having to worry about them destroying my house. While in the shower I heard a really loud scratching noise and it totally freaked me out. But it was obviously the dogs doing something outside. Sure enough, when I got out of the shower and investigated, I found a lizard on the outside of the bathroom window. Mara LOVES to chase lizards. She obviously saw this one and jumped up on the window to try to get it. Silly dog!

Beware of Mara, Destroyer of Lizards! They run at the sound of her name.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Icy. :( Is she the one you just rescued? (Sorry if I missed the naming thread.)

A friend of mine just rescued a dog from a shelter. She was perfect and wonderful and loving and totally chill, but she had a nasty virus that took effect about three days after she came home. Due to a series of misdiagnoses and miscommunications at the veterinary office, she died a week after Lily got her. :( And the worst part is that when Lily called to see if she could get a refund for the medicine that led to her dog's death, the owner of the vet practice berated her and chewed her out for "harassing" his receptionist. (Lily is one of the most laid back, polite people I have ever met. I'm positive that despite her high emotions and frustration, she did not harrass anyone.)

This is the vet that I've been taking Calli to. We have had only good experiences, but I can't imagine being treated that way if they killed my pup. I am going to take Calli for a booster shot tomorrow, and have prepared a short speech, which I will deliver to the receptionist or owner if possible about why I will be taking my pup and my money elsewhere. I hope I can make it through without crying.

Yeah, Sweetie is the one we just rescued a couple of months ago. She was doing so well, too, or at least we thought :(

And OMG, I'd change vets as well! That ridiculous, and I feel so sorry for Lily! I wish you lived around here, you'd LOVE the office we take our cats to.

• 1 month later...

'Kong is getting really old. He's started to walk funny in his hind area and he doesn't sleep in his normal spots. Lately he's taken to tumping over the laundry basket and sleeping in a pile of my dirty clothes. This is a picture of 'Kong, the primary cat and the auxillery cat in training, Little1.

So, when this girl at work said she had a little black kitten she could not take to an apartment she was moving into, I said I'd take her in. I really meant to take the little kitty out to a friends house in the country who has a ranch and let the little girl kitten grow old chasing butterflies and sleeping in the sunshine. But I can't seem to let her go. I'll have to take her out there soon though because I have two male cats and the transition has not been pleasant for the Little1.

This is her with primary cat:

Shes a little pistol of a cat. She is sorta long haird and black with longer white hairs and a undergrowth of dark brown underfur. She's still growing into her paws but she towers over other cats her age. I think she's 9 weeks.

Even though our dog trainer reassured me that it was just Mara being dominant, it always bothered me whenever Mara would try to hump Murray. So, I felt a bit better when I saw today's Daily Chuck photo from Dooce.com.

http://dooce.com/daily-chuck/2009/11/05/business-time

Yes, the humpee is her boy dog and the humper is the girl. :lol:

And SOMEONE didn't take photos of my dogs in their Halloween costumes, although I was told that they were a big success.

cute Kittah Mrs Spam :)

And SOMEONE didn't take photos of my dogs in their Halloween costumes, although I was told that they were a big success.

We are highly displeased! SOMEONE needs to be punished.... :whip:

Bob is in the doghouse. While I was grooming him this morning (so far I've collectd enough fur to knit a sweater) he turned on me and savaged my arm. It bled like a mother****er and I'm going to have a scar methinks, so you're sleeping on the floor tonight you little ****er!!!

I got a kitty! She's a teenager, not a kitten. Someone found her with no collar at my new apartment complex and turned her in at the leasing office. One of the ladies that works there took her home and got her food and a collar and litterbox, etc, but then found out that her daughter is allergic. So she's Calli's little sister now. :)

Calli is super, crazy, over-the-top excited to have a kitty to play with. Thank goodness this cat is really chill or I think she'd have to live behind the couch permanently. That or die of terror.

This morning the kitty was on my pillow just relaxing and Calli ran into the bedroom at least ten times with various different toys, each time barreling over to kitty to sniff/prod/whine/jump/play. Kitty pretended she was asleep every time Calli got close. It was so funny.

I've discoverd that my kitty chases his tail....I guess he thinks he's a dog??

He was laying on the rug this morning and the very tip of his tail was twitchiing, so naturally, he stared at it for a few seconds and then attempted to pounce it. He did this repeatedly for about 5 minutes, then decided to stop. Two minutes later, i look over and he's leaping into the air trying to grab ahold of his tail.

He also enjoys running and hitting the area rug just right, he makes it go sliding halfway across the floor.....I always thought cats were supposed be highly intelligent....I think mine was sick the day that was handed out....

This morning the kitty was on my pillow just relaxing and Calli ran into the bedroom at least ten times with various different toys, each time barreling over to kitty to sniff/prod/whine/jump/play. Kitty pretended she was asleep every time Calli got close. It was so funny.

That is way cute.

Isis loves cats... ok, really she loves anyone or any animal. I keep telling her that just because she loves them does not mean they love her back. She got swiped once for running into a cat fight because she wanted to play. She got bapped on the nose and just sort of stood there in shock like she couldn't believe someone would do that to her. When my mother-in-law adopted her feral cats, Isis was in love. That's where I got the picture of Isis giving the kitty kisses/sniffs. Teeger couldn't give 2 craps about Isis and she was just up his butt following him everywhere.

bonfire week this week, that means fireworks =(.

I spent the whole evening on Thursday sat on the foor with Weaver (Border Collie Dog) on a lead on the floor next to me.

As soon as a firework goes of he runs up to what ever window the firework is in barking, then runs up and down the room ... barking continuously. Shutting curtains doesn't work ... it's mostly the sound he reacts too.

When there's lots of them going off (Which will probably happen tonight as it's Saturday) he actually starts throwing himself at the window .. barking. It's horrible, and once he's set off it takes about 2 hours to calm him down. So pretty much the whole night is spent with a dog none stop barking.

Weve tried everything we can think of in this order over the years:

Ear muffs - He just pulls them off.

Kennals - Mum felt extremely guilty as he would still he aggitated there ... and he would also be in a strange enviroment so he wouldn't even be able to attempt to relax.

Tranqulisers perscribed by the vet - No effect, he slept untill the fire works went off then he was as bad as ever.

Last year we doubled the dose of tranqulisers and also got a femerone thing round his neck which was suposed to keep him calm, Spent £170 and the drugs and neck thing had no effect at all.

This year we have given up attempting to stop his behavour and just attempt to live with it. Which means little sleep as some idiot's decide to let fire works off early morning.

I just took him out for a walk on the field, got him on his lead ... was walking back when someone let one off close by. I didn't expect it, so I got my wrist jared pretty hard. I'm glad I decided not to walk round the field a second time though, last year someone set one off when he was off the lead and he just ran off towards the fireworks. Once we get him back all he want's to do is get home.

Does anyone else have bonfire night pet problems?

My dog hates loud noises like fireworks too, EotW. Just try to get her to sit still at a parade when the firetrucks go by. Fortunately she is small enough that it's easy to control her. We generally try to know what's coming up that could scare her and remove her from the situation. Usually my bf or I sit with her and hug her and whisper calming things in her ears, or try to cover her ears. She usually tries to run away from the sound rather than toward it, though.

As for my pets, I thought they were going to drive me crazy this morning. Every time I entered a room (including the bathroom) either the cat or dog followed me in. When they didn't I knew something was up. Calli was trying to eat the kitty litter, and the cat was taunting her from on my desk. I shooed them both out and they proceeded to chase each other through the apartment (including the room with the litterbox.) The cat decided she needed to explore behind the blinds in the dining room which made Calli whine because she couldn't get at the cat. Then the dog downstairs started barking, and Calli wouldn't stop answering him. I finally managed to quiet the dog down and shut her out of the room with the litter box but still allow the cat entry, and went in to make my sandwich. Every time I opened the fridge or a cupboard, the cat jumped in. She also tried to walk on my sandwich as I was putting it together.

When it was time to head out the door, I opened the closet for literally 10 seconds to go in, pick up my shoes, and put them on, and the cat ran all the way to the back behind some boxes. After I fished her out, I said goodbye to the dog, and as I locked the door, the dog downstairs started barking. I heard Calli start up as I was walking to my car.

I'm going to be surprised if the place isn't trashed when I get home. :lol:

And of course, kitty looks so sweet and innocent when she wants to.

cupboard_kitty.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.