Pet stories

monkeygirl

My baby has an infected bladder! THAT's why he sprayed me!

Roy started acting odd yesterday-pacing, whining. He tried to pee on the living room carpet in front of me and when I took him to his litter, he yowled and walked away. Vet was already closed so I called and left a message for an appointment.

The 2nd ex-husband woke me an hour into sleep, saying something was wrong, so I boxed him up and drove like crazy to the ER vet. Four hours and almost $400 later-he has some sort of infection and this vet said she saw 2 types of crystals in his urine-one most associated with anti-freeze. We don't have any and the cats never go beyond our yard and are never unsupervised, so I'm hoping my regular vet has more insight later today.

SEE, Cashmere! You'd have gotten rid of him-FOR BEING SICK. This is why I tolerate bad behavior from my babies; it usually means something is wrong.

He acted totally normally outside the spraying, though. I'm hoping the 3 week delay in getting him treated won't be a huge problem.

Am SO tired and non-happy today. SO.

OMG!! I had a cat with this same problem. He didn't spray, but he got some kind of crystal buildup in his bladder and urethra. I paid over $600 in vet bills trying to take care of him, fed him expensive food, tried a raw food diet, but he never got better. The vet said there was a surgery he could do that essentially involved removing the penis to shorten the urethra, which would reduce the chance of crystals building up; but there was no guarantee it would really work. My cat was only 4 years old. The vet had never seen a cat so young with such severe blockages. I couldn't stand seeing the poor cat in pain, so I made the decision to euthanize him. I never want to go through that again.

Yeah, I've learned to make that vet trip whenever something seems amiss-especially with boycats.

Roy seems fine now-although I need to call my vet to make sure I don't have to do any follow-up.

Also-it turns out the emergency vet has state-of-the-art equipment and that equipment 'sees' the crystals too well and what are normal, infection crystals resemble the anti-freeze crystals-my regular vet told me that. That guy is GOOD.

• 2 months later...

So, a few nights ago on our walk through the field, Ripley's entire body went stiff and he began growling as we approached the big cedar tree. I couldn't see anything in its branches, but Ripley was adamant that something wasn't right, and I had that uneasy "We are so being watched" feeling that I thought you only get when you're in Predator.

I decided not to walk under the tree, and changed course. Not that Ripley would have let me get any closer, anyway. Eh, he's a protective dog, and there was probably a small animal in the bushes or something. Big deal. I forgot about tree freakage before I was back home from our walk.

But then again last night, in the same field, the same thing happened with a different tree. He froze and started growling. Again, I couldn't see anything in the tree -- odd, since this tree had lost most of its leaves, but he was not letting us get any closer.

Suddenly, he unfroze, barked and lunged, and two round, tan, furry objects dropped from the tree in unison. With the round shapes, I thought they were extremely fat raccoons* or possums or something. But once they hit the ground, and burst into running mode -- exploding, really -- to the other side of the field, it was obvious these were a couple of huge-ass cats. They covered 250-300 feet of moderate vegetation in a few seconds. Holy **** they were big kitties, and of course Ripley is barking like a maniac and wants to kill them!

Past my field is a road leading to some farms. They ran across it and ducked into the ditch. A few seconds later, one of them popped its head out of the ditch and began pacing back and forth beneath the street lamp, looking directly at me and Ripley the entire time.

My dog is 45lbs soaking wet, and would have been eviscerated by one of those guys, let alone two, so I tried to quiet him down, and began backing us out of the field against his noisy protests. You're not supposed to turn your back or break eye contact with a cougar (especially if it's making little or no effort to hide), so it was a bit awkward on the uneven, muddy ground.

It was kind of cool seeing two cougars together (they are usually solitary, so probably a nearly grown cub with its mother), and I'm super impressed with Ripley's keen senses and bravery. Definitely not impressed with his desire to brawl with something that could easily kill both of us** if it wanted to, though!

:eek:

*shaddup, I know raccoon aren't tan. It was just my first thought -- was late and I was surprised!

** I realize that statistically, death by bees is more likely!

• 3 weeks later...

Do your pets have friends? Do they come over to visit?

Our cat, Shadow, and our next door neighbor's cat, Blackie who is not actually a black cat, are seriously like best friends. Blackie is always coming over to visit and play with Shadow. He will meow at the door until we let him in or Shadow goes out.

Today, Blackie had to go to the vet to get fixed, and every few hours Shadow has gone next door to meow at the neighbor's garage (where Blackie spends most of his indoor time since their dogs won't leave him alone). I keep telling him that Blackie won't be able to play for about a week, but I don't think Shadow understands.

We actually just found a dead bird next to their garage door. I think Shadow killed it and brought it to Blackie.

So not only are the kids next door constantly coming in and out of my house to play, so is their cat. To play with our cat. And sometimes Noah, but mostly to play with our cat.

I have seen firsthand the suffering of a pet that wasn't put down until well after her quality of life suffered beyond what I would ever allow. I know it's the hardest decision to make, but it's also the most compassionate, and it takes a lot of strength to make that call. I applaud you for making the hard choice because it was the right thing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Do your pets have friends? Do they come over to visit?

Our cat, Shadow, and our next door neighbor's cat, Blackie who is not actually a black cat, are seriously like best friends. Blackie is always coming over to visit and play with Shadow. He will meow at the door until we let him in or Shadow goes out.

Today, Blackie had to go to the vet to get fixed, and every few hours Shadow has gone next door to meow at the neighbor's garage (where Blackie spends most of his indoor time since their dogs won't leave him alone). I keep telling him that Blackie won't be able to play for about a week, but I don't think Shadow understands.

We actually just found a dead bird next to their garage door. I think Shadow killed it and brought it to Blackie.

So not only are the kids next door constantly coming in and out of my house to play, so is their cat. To play with our cat. And sometimes Noah, but mostly to play with our cat.

Now Blackie has a favorite toy in our house. It's this long green yarn-string thing on a stick. Blackie will come over when our door is open, go get the string thing, and bring it outside to play with.

So every day at about 3:30, my next door neighbors get home from picking up their 5 year old from school at the same time that the school bus drops off the little girl down the street. The kids and cat will all run into my house to get toys from Noah's room:

Mason,boy, 3 - a weapon of some sort (sword, nunchucks, shield, whatever)

Maggie, girl, 5 - Noah's guitar

Karlee, girl, 6 - a different instrument, usually bongos, or Noah's bike from the back

Alayna, girl, almost 2 - Disney Infinity figures

Blackie, boy cat, 6 months or so - the green string thingy

Every day. Same stuff. All 4 kids and the cat. Is this normal?

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.