Pet stories

monkeygirl

Isis had a rough weekend. Took her for a doggy bath on Friday since my dad was coming into town and we couldn't handle the stink anymore, either. Friday evening she started acting mopey, lethargic, and her tail was down, which never happens. Brad took a look at her butt and it was totally swollen. Called the vet Saturday morning and took her in. She had 2 impacted anal glands. Poor baby. The groomers claim they don't express anal glands on big dogs, but I think whoever bathed her did and screwed it up. The vet had to express them for her and she was sore all day yesterday. She is finally feeling better today. I feel so bad for my baby.

And Tami thinks baby poop is gross!

Oh, ew, poor Isis. I had no idea dogs had to have anal glands expressed.

So, Mr. Fat tried sharpening his claws on the armchair which he neverever does because he is not allowed, and I think he was NOT ALLOWED in an abusive way in a past life because he has never tried it. But he was all doped up on catnip earlier today, and we didn't realize this was happening until we heard all of these pathetic squeaks, and discovered him hanging from the chair by his claws, because he got his claws in the chair, but just couldn't figure out how to get them out. I had to pick him up and untangle each claw.

So, what does he sharpen his claws on? One of the wooden slats on the deck. They're cheap and easily replaced, so we let him. But he doesn't just sharpen his claws. Oh, no. He attacks the slat with a running leap. Mind you, he's fat and jiggly, so this is something to behold. At least we know he gets some exercise!

That is actually nice. I hate to think that they spend their last moments in an unfamiliar, scary place, even if we stick with them to the end. I want to go in my own bed, why wouldn't I want that for my cat.

Will they do the same for a dog? Also, did you find this out because you lost a pet? My condolences if so.

Will they do the same for a dog?
It's $105, plus mileage... though a cat cremation is only $10 -- I assume it'd be more for larger dogs.

Also, did you find this out because you lost a pet? My condolences if so.
Nah, just checking it out. Thought it was a nice service, since Luca haaaaaaates going to the vet's. But it was only a "just in case" call. She's been having a lot of little FHS seizures, but because all her canines were pulled two years ago, she can't really hurt herself during her attacks. Convenient! As long as it doesn't get any worse, she should make it through this winter just fine -- aside from arthritic hips, she's in excellent health for her age. Heart, kidneys, liver all check out fine. My concern about her FHS has more to do with the fact that it's been linked to chronic pain than the fits themselves. From the way she moves her hindquarters, it's obvious she's uncomfortable -- and considering the length most cats will go to hide pain, it's got to be really bothering her. But given how she acts toward the veterinarian, it's no surprise they haven't been able to diagnose anything more specific than "Hips, arthritis," so it's only a best estimate. She sleeps 90% of the time and seems perfectly happy when not moving, though, so her quality of life isn't at a point where I'd consider it a kindness to put her to sleep.

Copper, do you actually have hoarfrost, or is the grass in your area just really, really white?

Actually, the photo is just washed out. It's more tan. All the grass is dead right now because of the summer heat. Usually by now we have some green stuff coming up but we haven't had any rain for more than a month so it's just dead dead dead.

We do get frost in the morning, though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.