Pet stories

monkeygirl

OK, so who else here has a cat that lays "cute traps" around the house?

What kind? Foozle "cute traps", but the trap is really to get you to play chase with her, because she bolts just before you can touch her. Jack "cute traps" right where you'll trip over him.

Meanwhile, Mr. Fat has to have his belly rubbed whenever he comes inside. Well. The other day he came in rather disgruntled. He stomped in, sat down, glared at me until I scritched his head (the belly was NOT offered), "hrumphed" at me, and stomped off to eat.

Yeah, female.

She's become strange in her latter spinster days. Used to hate being touched, and hated everybody but her owner, but started becoming more tolerant of people after age 10 or so. Now, she can't get enough pettage -- and yes, has no qualms about crawling up and waking you in the middle of the night if she feels a need for affection.

:eek:

• 1 month later...

We went to Hawaii for a week and Isis missed us so much! She has been extra snuggly since we got back, and exceptionally well-behaved. Apparently, we need to go on vacation every once in awhile to keep her on her toes! :lol: Boarding cost $300 though, ugh. None of our local friends can or want to dog-sit.

We got her a bandana on the trip. It says "Mahalo for a belly rub." (Mahalo = Thank you)

Awww, that bandana sounds so cute.

I love it when my puppy is snuggly post separation, but I can barely stand to be away from her overnight, let alone for a whole week.

Also, that really stinks that your friends won't help out with the dog. $300 is a crap load of money.

Most of them have legit reasons, like pet deposits. I understand that it's inconvenient for them to stop by our house twice a day to let her out or feed her. But some of our friends are just kind of the type that you don't ask for many favors from. You just accept that they're fun to hang around and nothing else.

We have a friend who is sporadically employed (he works for the Parks service and most of the parks are closed in the winter), and he is usually glad to help us out, but he actually managed to snag a job up in Alaska through April. He really enjoys Isis, and we know he takes good care of her, so we prefer to use him when possible.

Cutest Bandana EVER! Three hundred wasn't too bad. Someone wanted 800 for my Persian when I needed to board him for a week. It would have been good care, but Meeko didn't care. He wanted to be close to me or he'd sleep and eat and poop. That was it.

I had Mamalama fixed. I feel so bad. She had gone into her first heat and it was full blown, but female cats stay in heat until the get fixed one way or another. She eats but very little right now. I am so worried about her. Her belly furs all GONE!

Guest REVROSWELL

What did Bogie do today? Sleep eat and pout and now I am taking him to the mountains for an hour or two...what a spoiled mutt, but he is my bud. In this pic he is in the four wheel drive telling me to get my butt in gear....RR;{>

ps pics took last summer and fall (I think)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest REVROSWELL

And he (Bogie) farts, some so bad that turning the fan on and sticking my head under the covers don't work, because he roots under the covers when he sees me doing it....yuck they are god awful....

I came in from my walk today, and Pookie was waiting for me. I think she figures that she likes to be held and cuddled when she comes in from the cold, so I would want to hold and cuddle her when I come in from the cold, right? Anyway, I went right for the smoothie makings, not her. She hopped onto the counter. Now, the kitchen counter is one of the few places in the house that the cats are NOT allowed to be. So, I yelled at her, picked her up, and relocated her. She hops right back up on the counter. Usually, loud noises works as a punishment, so I yelled POOKIE GET DOWN NOW! She obliged by laying down on the counter. I smacked the counter right next to her. She purred. I finally had to beat on the counter really loudly on either sides of her before she'd budge.

Weirdo.

We took Isis to the dog park this weekend and she had a good ol' time. She's still kinda socially awkward, so when some dog jumped at her looking to play she got this wide-eyed look like, "WTF is your problem!??" Then another dog came up to her later and wanted to play fight, she kinda knew what to do. The only problem is that she had a good 20 lbs on this dog, so when he put his paws on her chest and she reared up, he bounced right off. :lol:

This particular area of the dog park had a large hill, so Brad hiked up there and we watched her from up there for 2 reasons: 1) you can see the entire dog park, and 2) she likes to check in with us, so it made her run up and down the hill to see us and it wore her out. She's lost 10 lbs in 6 months, and the vet still isn't satisfied. :rolleyes: But she was on top of the hill when 2 dogs came in, and when she saw them, she got all the way down on the ground and laid flat (the tail, of course, was straight up and wagging like mad) until they got much closer, and then she bounced off toward them. I couldn't figure out why she did this, but Brad thinks she thought she was hiding. No idea if that's what it was, but it was really funny.

We took the dogs to the state park yesterday. I took them for a walk through the hiking trails and they enjoyed it. I really need to get Murray out in public, though. He's so scared of everything and it makes me sad. :(

This morning they were playing in the backyard and I opened the sliding glass door to say goodbye to them. I yelled "Are you guys fighting with each other?!?" and they both looked at each other, then looked back at me completely in unison. It was like they were talking to each other and saying "what should we tell her?!?" Haha, I love them.

• 4 weeks later...

So, we got Mr. Fat neutered a few weeks back, which involved cornering him, and pouring him into the carrier kicking and screaming (literally). He Didn't Speak To Us for a good week after that.

But now, he's discovered laps. It used to be that if you wanted to hold him you had to catch him, lift him up yourself, and this lasted for maybe five minutes. Now, if you sit down, you get a companion Fat. And that's just the way it is. If there's something like a computer on your lap, he'll lay on your ankles. If there's another cat on your lap, he'll still try to wiggle his way in. And he'll stay until you kick him off.

But after having him for 4+ years, we just discovered that he's deathly afraid of whistling. I was watching Doctor Who the other night, and whistling along with the theme song, and he freaked out. He bolts whenever there's whistling on tv, too.

How does he bolt? By going from laying down to bolting straight up and out by a few feet :eek::confused:

Cats are all SO wtf? There are some things they share but the rest is utterly random.

I wonder sometimes if they're aliens that have been dumped here because they're, like, the retards of their planet.

I love how Fat has just NOW discovered laps and he's like a 9 year-old with a Nintendo DS.

My boys are fighting/licking each other/trying to pop each other's heads off. Long peroids of silence, punctuated by sounds of furious claws, trying ti gain purchase on the vinyl floor and elbows hitting the cabinets.

Mamalama has gotten so big. I hate it when they start lose their Kitten qualities, but I love her for the crazy things she does. She can be found squished in a drawer. Or batting the leaves off my jade plant.

I would check Mr. Fat for an ear mite problem. Sometimes ear infections can bother a cat like that.

And AW to MG's kitties!

I wonder sometimes if they're aliens that have been dumped here because they're, like, the retards of their planet.

YES :lol:

I would check Mr. Fat for an ear mite problem. Sometimes ear infections can bother a cat like that.

As much of a cuddlebug as he is now, checking his ears is still terrifying... he may well have mites, but he's not displaying the usual symptoms. This is more being spooked. The first time I whistled, he was looking over my head trying to find the source of the noise, and then he retreated to his hidey-hole. Just now there were whistling fireworks on tv, and he just tensed up until they were over. Current theory is that someone set bottle rockets off around him or on him when he was a kitten. We know he was really badly abused, we just don't know details.

Aw, poor Mr. Fat. :( That's hilarious that he has totally become a lap cat though after how long?

So my pooches are starting to get pretty old, Syd is 12 this spring and Java is 11. Sydney has starting to collapse every couple of months. It's only happened about 4-5 times that I know of, but it's really scary. And it often seems to happen when she gets really excited. Her legs will get wobbly and she'll fall over, her eyes will be open, but she can't focus, and she lays there panting hard for maybe 60 seconds, and then slowly gets back to her feet. She'll often loose control and pee or poop too. When she gets up she takes a few seconds to get her bearings and then she's back to normal and you would never know that she collapsed a couple minutes earlier. It doesn't seem like a regular seizure either, she doesn't really stiffen up and her limbs don't shake. And the vet says there's really nothing they can do for her. Especially, since it's so infrequent and random. :(

So anyway, last night I was putzing around the living room and so Syd laying in the front yard and Java walking around her body and sniffing and licking her. I watched for minute and when I didn't see Sydney moving, I started to get really scared. I ran outside and as soon as I opened the door, Syd jumped up and ran over to me. DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!!!!! I don't like this pet of pet ownership. :(

I'm giving both dogs and Syd especially lots of loving.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.