Pet stories

monkeygirl

Raka, one of my German shepherds, has been staying with my dad at his farm for the past 4 days because he's absolutely terrified of the firecrackers- which were bad here since the 26th or so. My dad is staying at a nice farm hidden up in the mountains not too far away from me with Raka's mate, another GS. We moved them down here just about 6 months ago but they stay in separate places. They brought Raka back to my house today but I was telling them it probably wasn't good timing yet because my neighbors seem to have an endless supply of fire crackers. Anyway, he was here all day, then as it got dark my neighbors got their fire crackers and were at it again. He ran in the house and hid under the chair. I fed him a huge plate of spaggetti(sp) which is one of his favorite foods- but he refused to eat any and just kept following me and my dad all over the house. When my dad was getting ready to leave Raka started following him around, even to the bathroom- but when he realized he was in the bathroom he went back out and climbed in the car of my dad (the two doors in front were open) and sat there waiting til they got in. So anyway..my dad just ended up bringing him back with him. I thought it was hilarious. Raka had his whole plan going - no wonder he wasn't touching his noodles! Anyway, I sent them back with him so he could eat it when he got to the farm.

Is he allergic to something, Mara? Zoot does that in the fall, when her allergies kick in, I think it's a grass or leaf-mold allergy, something that gets on her paws. I put hydrocortizone on them to reduce the itching, which is why she licks and bites them in the first place.

Off for walkies in 3 degree temps...

I had to spray Murray's paws with Yuk spray because he licked them so much that he made a sore. Silly Murray! :(

Isis has done this before. You guys just got back from vacation, right? He might have been suffering from a little separation anxiety. Isis has done this when she's upset about something... like us leaving her at the kennel. Keep up with the Yuk spray and he'll be alright in a few days.

Well my hand is one of his preferred places to lick. :lol: Mara prefers my face or my feet after I put on lotion. What is up with that? She LOVES lotion.

Calli does this too! She follows me around after I get out of the shower trying to lick the lotion off my legs as I get dressed. It's adorable. :heart:

I think the lotion-licking is an attempt to groom you. After all, in the wild if a dog gets greasy, their coat won't function as well to keep them warm, and I'm sure it feels bad to them to be that way. So Oil/Lotion = evil grease to them, I think...they are trying to do their part to keep you clean and healthy?

Why we keep applying it must really confuse them...

"Dude, I keep licking it off, and yet every single day she puts oil on herself, WTF is up with THAT?? Stupid humans don't know enough to keep their coats clean of oil, and they VOLUNTARILY get in water every day and don't know enough to shake it off, you gotta go help dry them -- and THEN they stink themselves up with flowery crap under the arms and everywhere, so that prey can smell'em coming a million miles away. How they feed themselves is beyond me, but they must have some way of doing it, because they manage despite having ZERO hunting and survival skills. They so need dogs to survive!"

I wish I had audio for this, it made me LOLOL...

I think there's a flying bug in the house, the baby's sitting, looking up in the air and meowing, but that's not why I'm posting.

He just came running in from the living room; trotting, really, and he was doing a low, constant meow the whole way but he had some speed so every time his tiny pads hit the floor, it sort of jogged his voice. I didn't see him, only heard it. I thought Katherine Hepburn was coming at me from behind!

It's getting cold tonight, below freezing and it's affecting my Burts. I opened the door and one of them trots out and goes all the way down stairs. Then I go in put my crap down and go down to chase him. I catch him stretching out in the grass and take him back upstairs, only to let the new one out. Repeat. Now they're chasing each other pell mell around the house and begging me for left over ham.

I think the lotion-licking is an attempt to groom you. After all, in the wild if a dog gets greasy, their coat won't function as well to keep them warm, and I'm sure it feels bad to them to be that way. So Oil/Lotion = evil grease to them, I think...they are trying to do their part to keep you clean and healthy?

I think part of it is that something about it tastes good to them, too. I gave myself a pedicure last night, that ended with slathering my feet in Burts Bees' Peppermint Foot Lotion, and then putting on a pair of socks. Foozle, who is NOT a lotion licker, sat in front of the tv with me and proceeded to lick my socks. When I asked her "WTF?" she gave me a very contented and grateful look that I put delicious things on my feet. At the same time, I had B&BW coconut scented lotion on my hands that she completely ignored. And she only licks my feet when I put certain products on them, not all products.

Awww, Cabbage has her own little house! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so who else here has a cat that lays "cute traps" around the house?

Luca has now conditioned us: she jogs five or six paces in front of whoever is walking, turns around to make sure they're watching, then crumples to the floor in an adorable, purring mat of fuzz. Seeing this, you simply can't help but stop and give her a petting. It's irresistible.

Now, I'm sure it's good for all parties involved: I don't mind scratching her behind the ears, and I'm sure her furry little back provides some sort of orthopedic benefit for my foot when I'm too lazy to bend all the down and pet her... but these cute traps are starting to get out of hand. She'll be sleeping on the back of the couch, and as I come downstairs, one eye will snap open, and -- POOF -- she's jumped down and has positioned herself at the base of the stairs in full fuzz-mode. Or we'll be watching House and she makes a point to plop down in plain sight, one eye open like a periscope, searching for potential petters. I think this is becoming an addiction for her.

:eek:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.