Pet stories

monkeygirl

I used to own a goat that would lick urine from its' own pee stream while it was peeing.

Also, I've started giving meeko pet treats laced with hairball remedy and it seems to work pretty good.

Man, I miss my cat. I can't wait to get home and cuddle them. If they even remember me. I dumped them out in the country with some friends who live on a big pile of acreage and no cars zooming by. My friends tell me that the auxillery cat, Little1 follows meeko out the dog door in the morning and they stay outside until super time and come in and hide under the bed. The real question is how many times have these dingy cats used the litter box? I left it outside in the garage and there's two options that have been probably used by them. They either pee somewhere in the house. Or they've been using the litterbox in the garage while the wild cat colony stares at them and wonders about city slicker cats that need a box to poop in.

OK, so Luca's cut ear wasn't actually that bad (she was mostly spooked and angry about being shut outside for the night), but she refused to stop picking scratching picking scratching picking at it, which led to it getting infected a few days later.

After it got infected, she continued to scratch it, and would cry out in pain each time her claw hit it... then she'd forget about the hurt, remember the itch, and scratch it and cry out again.

So we resorted to a clown collar to deny her ear-access -- but this only led to her tripping, flailing, and running into walls at far too high a speed. We didn't want broken bones and torn tendons on top of her preexisting discomfort, so the collar was removed as soon as it became apparent she would NOT get used to it.

Treated her ear with warm water, hydrogen peroxide, and more neosporin before bed, and it miraculously began to heal overnight. The only explanation I can think of is that she knows what the word "vet" means, and controlled her scratching picking scratching accordingly.

Aw, poor Luca!

Sunday, when I got home from church, Java kept barking, but it was a really funny kind of bark. Different from her usual "I'm barking because I saw another dog" bark, or her "I'm barking because I want attention" bark, or the "I'm barking because they're kids running by and I want to play" bark. So I went out to check on her and she was in the corner of the yard jumping in and out of some overhanging bushes and kind of bark/whining at something. When I got over there and stuck my head under the bush, I realized she was snapping and pawing at a poor painted turtle that had somehow gotten into the yard. She was so funny, she didn't know what to do with it and each time she snapped at it, she actually just snapped at the air, it was like she was afraid to put her mouth on it. Meanwhile, Syd is sitting there, just enjoying the show Java's putting on. She completely ignored the turtle. I had to pull Java out from under the bush by her tail, crawl under it, and grabbed the poor turtle. I ended up dropping it off at a nearby stream.

I know, poor turtle!!! I wonder if he parachuted into the yard or something. I put him in a box and had it in the passenger seat while I drove to the stream and it didn't take him long after the car started moving for him to come out of his shell. He almost made it out of the box a couple times too. I've never see a turtle move so fast though, when I set him by the water. It was cute. Then when I dropped him off at the stream, there was a man at a nearby house who yelled at his kid to "see what that ladie's dumping!". Turns out that they've had people drop off cats there too. :( I reassured him that it was just a painted turtle and he said that it was a good place for it.

Mr. Turtle was in full turtle defense mode when I found him, completely tucked into his shell. I'm not sure how long Java had been harassing it or how long it had been there. It seemed pretty dried out actually. I was afraid it was dead at first, but figured she wouldn't be acting like that if it was. If it was dead Sydney would have tried rolling on it. :rolleyes: That dog will roll in the NASTIEST stuff. lol.

I was tempted to keep the turtle for my 6 year old nephew, he's totally into frogs and turtles. I may have if it had been a little one, but this was one of the bigger painted turtles I've seen.

It's probably a good thing it was a one of these...

and not one of these... :lol:

Java would have had her paws full with one of those!

You know speaking of Sunday turtle encounters, one day driving home from church there was a HUGE snapper in the middle of the road. It was easily a foot wide and a couple feet long. Joe stopped the car, got out, grabbed it by the tail and carried it to the swamp on the side of the road. I was pretty impressed - he came back with all his fingers! lol.

If it was dead Sydney would have tried rolling on it.

:lol:

OK, I gotta ask if this is some kind of breed specific behavior, because I've been around dogs my whole life, and not once have I owned or cared for a dog that would willingly roll around in excrement or dead stuff! Yet, in popular culture, Far Side cartoons, and your above post, rolling around in nasty stuff seems to be regarded as something dogs just do...

I've been around Border Terriers, Dalmatians, Goldens, and Rottweilers mostly (a few Dobermans, too). Of the breeds, Goldens are the worst, because they tend to get stuff caught in their fur, but they're not filthy. The Border Terriers dig like maniacs, but don't seem predisposed to digging in, well, poo. Rottweilers are drool-demons, which is kinda gross, but it's not the same as rolling in dead things, either. Dobermans, despite looking mean, are prissy-clean. And Dalmatians are very clean, too, though horrendous shedders (doesn't matter what color your clothes are, since they're black and white).

So... I dunno, either I've been really really lucky, or this behavior can be correlated with specific breeds? What do you think, HANFAN?

:eek:

My toy poodle LOVED raccoon crap. She would be trolling around the yard and then all of a sudden she'd leap into the air, flip onto her back in midair and divebomb it. Damn dog was white, too.

Isis (black lab mix) hasn't really rolled in anything so far. But Brad caught her eating cat crap once, and he let her have it.

I am well acquainted with a Beagle that rolls in poop, dead animal remains, and anything else that makes you say "yuck." I talked to my dad about it and he said his Beagles growing up did the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with their predisposition for hunting. It's scent camouflage!

Destiny, how does Isis do in crowds? The game sounds like fun to me.

As for dogs and rolling - I think labs definately have an affinity for eating and rolling in all sorts of nasty ickiness. When we go for walks Syd will always find something to roll or munch on. I have to keep a close eye on her and whenever she starts to put her nose to the ground and make a beeline for a little mound of something, it's a sharp "No!" from me and a tug on the leash. lol. Sometimes she'll drop and start rolling before I can catch her though. And dude, that dog LOVES horse manure. I swear she thinks it's about as good as a Milkbone treat. lol.

Java on the other hand will generaly only sniff at something a little and keep going. She'll only roll in it, if it's something that Syd is really excited about.

I've always wondered if the rolling was to cover their scent or if it was just to carry the wonderful, interesting, smells that the pooch found with them all day long so they can remember what fun they had exploring. :lol:

Destiny, how does Isis do in crowds? The game sounds like fun to me.
Sounds like fun to me, too. But no matter how well-balanced and behaved my pooch is, I tend to worry more about other peoples' dogs!

Doesn't matter what the rules and leash requirements are, some bonehead always lets their dogs run wild, sure they'll behave (though they rarely do, due to all the excitement), and makes things uncomfortable or even dangerous for other pets and people!

Hmm... I know a lot of people who act like that with their kids, too ;)

I've always wondered if the rolling was to cover their scent or if it was just to carry the wonderful, interesting, smells that the pooch found with them all day long so they can remember what fun they had exploring.
If it's the former, it's probably a trait bred into them for hunting (it's amazing how fast you can create or extinguish a behavior in a breed of dogs!), if it's the latter, it might have something to do with the way dogs remember and smell things "in color." It could be both, too, of course.

Though I question dogs' taste; if I were blessed with the ability to smell in color, I'd stay as far away from dead things and poo as possible!

OK, I work with a few dog experts, and according to current theories, the answer I gave was only half right: rolling in poop or on carcasses is a trait that has been bred out of many dogs, but it's instinctual (for masking, as HANFAN mentioned), and a trait that remains in many dogs that still have strong hunting tendencies.

In wolves, it goes a step further: scent-rolling is theorized to be a form of communication for a wolf who is returning to the pack ("Hey guys, there's prey there -- I found it's poop! Oh, and there's dead stuff over there!").

We took her to the Seattle International Beer festival and she did really well. Other people had their dogs there as well. She is ridiculously friendly with dogs AND people, so I'm not worried about her as much as other dogs. Sometimes a more dominant dog will bully her at the dog park, and some little punt-worthy dog snapped at her at the beer festival. But it's never something that hasn't been resolved by removing her from the situation or asking the owner to watch their dog.

I think there's a strict leash rule at the stadium, and if there is, I'll have no problem notifying security if someone's not abiding by it.

I think it'll be dogs sniffing each others butts. End of story. At least while the dogs are sniffing you can have a beer and watch a little ball.

I'm debating about going to Potter tonight. It's like a hundred billion degrees here right now and a cold movie theater sounds awesome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.