Pet stories

monkeygirl

This is a true story of what happened to an older friend of mine last week. Bruce is in his mid 60's and has diabetes. They have a rot/pit bull cross. (Not my first choice) Anyway the dog was taken outside later the night before and had food and water available to her. About 5am the dog was whinning and pacing around the bedroom. The wife woke up to see if she had to go out or needed something. She cound't figure out what was wrong then Bruce woke up and felt very strange. He took a blood test and his blood sugar was just over 2 (normal is 6) which is dangerous. He was able to correct his problem but who knows what would have happened had the dog not woke then up.

I feel like a bad puppy mom today.

1. Went to Petsmart and decided not to get Isis her usual giant bone for Christmas. I blame that one on puppy dad.

2. Went to specialty pet store for special doggie treats instead. Saw adorable fleece. Saw $40 pricetag. I wouldn't even spend $40 on a fleece for myself. Walked out with doggie cookies and a bully stick. Not as exciting as giant bone.

3. Decided to take Isis out to play in the snow. She had a great time... until my husband realized her pads were bleeding. She had some hot spots on them from licking them at the kennel while we were in Florida (anxiety, I'm guessing). Turns out running around in the cold opened them up. :( Now she is wearing Brad's socks on her feet attached with those velcro zipties. She looks like she's wearing 80s legwarmers.

This is a true story of what happened to an older friend of mine last week. Bruce is in his mid 60's and has diabetes. They have a rot/pit bull cross. (Not my first choice) Anyway the dog was taken outside later the night before and had food and water available to her. About 5am the dog was whinning and pacing around the bedroom. The wife woke up to see if she had to go out or needed something. She cound't figure out what was wrong then Bruce woke up and felt very strange. He took a blood test and his blood sugar was just over 2 (normal is 6) which is dangerous. He was able to correct his problem but who knows what would have happened had the dog not woke then up.

Your friend is very lucky that the dog woke them up!! Dogs of any breed are usually very good at letting you know when there is something wrong, either with yourself or someone else. Especially if the dog is very bonded to it's humans. It is amazing what these animals can do. I guess that is why we treat our pets just like family members, they are invaluable to us for so many reasons!

Poor Isis!! Gold Bond powder is really good on hotspots Destiny, helps to dry them out so they can heal. Since you got her wearing socks, you could put some on her pads and she won't be able to lick the powder off. And a little powder goes a long way. I hope she feels better soon! :)

I feel like a bad puppy mom today.

Now she is wearing Brad's socks on her feet attached with those velcro zipties. She looks like she's wearing 80s legwarmers.

Poor Isis...but LMAO!!!

Mara and Murray had their first puppy training class yesterday....they love their Pupperoni treats! So far they've learned "sit," well almost at least! We've started taking them out separate doors to potty/play. And we've learned that a squirt bottle is the best way to keep them from chewing on stuff/jumping on the furniture! :D

I got a persian pain in the butt and a auxillary cat. I woke up today with both of them under the covers and at the foot of the bed. I lifted the covers to actually get out of bed and go pee and both of them kinda growled-meaowed. Cats!

The persian pain the in the butt likes fresh water recently. He cries and cries until I refill the bowl. If no clean water is available he's figured out how to get some from the toilet. With the lid down.

Aww... that sounds so adorable in such a sad way, Destiny. I hope she's feeling better soon.

I haven't posted any stories yet because my pup makes me laugh at least a couple times a day, but half the time it's just subtle stuff that wouldn't be funny to anyone else. Just a minute ago, though she had me giggling so hard (silently of course--wouldn't want to offend her!)

She was carrying around her stuffed pheasant toy, which drags on the ground when she holds it by the tail. She was carrying and shaking it around and it hit a tennis ball that was on the floor. Once the tennis ball moved she started to chase it and kick it around with her front paws. Eventually she'd trip on the pheasant, which would remind her that it was in her mouth and she'd start shaking it. Then it would hit the tennis ball and she would go back to kicking it will dragging the pheasant. This went on for a good ten minutes! :thumbsup: She's so entertaining!

I'd also like to add happy birthday wishes to my little pup! Calliope is 1 (human) year old today. :D

I'd also like to add happy birthday wishes to my little pup! Calliope is 1 (human) year old today. :D

Happy Birthday Calli! I hope your mommy bought you lots of yummy treats! :D

We've been practicing "sit" with the dogs. We're only using hand signals, and they do VERY well when we actually have treats in our hands, lol. But they've done it a few times without treats as well, they are so smart! :D

I keep singing, "She works hard for the money" every time I see her

OMG, this made me choke on my coffee!

I'm fairly certian that slag next door has stopped feeding him completely in the hope that he'll just disappear

Well, GOOD. He's home now.

Jesus got locked outside in the snow last night. The second ex-husband and a friend went to the Seahawks game and came home drunk. I was in the basement doing lauundry. I made dinner and was surprised Jesus wasn't around as we ate (he's a beggar for food). After, as the friend was rinsing his bowl, he said "Hey, there's a cat meowing, is it OK if I let it in?" !!???? I wasn't even certain it was my little muffinhead but it was 27 degrees out so, whomever, you know? But it was him and he was just panicked! He made a kitty nest among the presents on the Christmas tree skirt, curled up and didn't move all night.

post-3847-1229962374_thumb.jpg

Alright, so I'm not a cat person, but those little pink pads are adorable.

If we needed further proof of why I am not a cat person, my mother-in-law has been volunteering at a shelter (I think I mentioned this earlier), and she's pretty much decided to open her own satellite branch of the shelter at her house. She's fostering 3 adorable baby kittens until they are old enough to adopt (this week, I think). As much as I am not a cat person, kitties are still pretty adorable. The day we were leaving, she brought them out to "play" on the couch and I helped her keep an eye on them. They were totally adorable, especially this little tiger-striped one who kept trying to get into mischief. But within 15 minutes, I was snuffling like I had been nailed with bear spray and my left eye looked like someone had punched me. My husband had to run to the store for some Benadryl so we could leave for the airport without looking like a domestic violence victim. Sorry baby kitties, but I can't even be friends with you anymore!

I am so packing Benadryl for this trip. My in-laws have this evil cat who picks on my poor dog. Isis is a total wuss.

Aw, teach her to stand up for herself! Safe travels! I'm headed to work, I'll wave to you on I-5. We'll be the only ones doing 5 without chains.

Jesus is EVUL, I tell you! He divebombs the tree skirt. He gets up on the kitchen counter, wiggles and goes flying into the presents, hands-first, as if he's body-surfing. Then he tries balancing on the lower branches so he can play in the tree water. I went out to warm up and clean off my car and he was totally distressed when I got back in, whirring and chirping at me! I think he believes I got locked out in the snow like he did last night!

Aw, teach her to stand up for herself!

Yeah, Isis is big, she can take on a nasty cat! ;)

It's the same way with my puppies. Mara is smaller than Murray, but she gets so rough with him! She'll take food out of his mouth, too. We figure that eventually Murray will snap at her and let her know what's up, so we're letting them sort it out. :)

I think Brad went a little overboard in dominating her. I mean, it's good for us because we can even pull food out of her mouth (which has come in handy recently). It's definitely a pain in the butt when it comes to other animals, though, because I either have to ask owners to get their dog off of mine or I have to intercede because she just doesn't know what to do.

The cat even picked on my mother-in-law's formerly feral cat, though. I don't know what that cat's issue is. It's not like they're a mean family. The cat is pretty much allowed to do what it wants and no one mistreats it. (Brad's dad does call it a stupid cat when it's doing absolutely nothing wrong though, LOL.) The first year, the cat took a swipe at Isis and Isis made like she was going to let her have it, but Brad called her off, so now she won't do anything. Personally, I would have let the cat have it and then pulled Isis off, but Brad is a much kinder person than I am!

He gets up on the kitchen counter, wiggles and goes flying into the presents, hands-first, as if he's body-surfing.

My Pookie has been doing similar to the presents! Especially the ones my great-uncle brought up. We think it's something about the smell of the stuff he brought, but she climbed right into the gift bags! And I have a wrapped gift from him that pretty much won't have a bow by the time it's present opening time :p She's been racing around the house like a bat outta hell, too. I think she's excited for Christmas, don't you? ;):p Thing is - she's four years old. Not exactly a hyperactive kitten. She never did this even when she was a kitten. She's been climbing on top of the kitchen cabinets and playing with the (fake) poinsettia garlands, messing them all up. And my mom caught her nomming on the real poinsettias. Our cats aren't houseplant eaters, so we have no idea what's gotten into her.

I went out to warm up and clean off my car and he was totally distressed when I got back in, whirring and chirping at me! I think he believes I got locked out in the snow like he did last night!

Ha, ha, Small Boy (RIP, poor little guy) did similar last summer when we opened the pool - I was swimming, and he freaked out a little. First he walked around the edge of the pool trying to get to me, then he climbed the mulberry tree next to the pool and edged his way out along the branch that stretches out over the pool. He was Siamese, too, so he was yowling up to high heaven the whole time. He just couldn't understand why I would allow myself to be in so much water :lol:

Jesus is EVUL, I tell you! He divebombs the tree skirt. He gets up on the kitchen counter, wiggles and goes flying into the presents, hands-first, as if he's body-surfing. Then he tries balancing on the lower branches so he can play in the tree water. I went out to warm up and clean off my car and he was totally distressed when I got back in, whirring and chirping at me! I think he believes I got locked out in the snow like he did last night!

but he's sooooo cute! well he and Pedro can be brothers trogether 'cos my lantern xmas lights on the patio have mauled to death and trashed.....

I know, isn't he??? I think his cuteness is directly relative to his evilness. He's also the softest kittah EVAR. His fur is like down or angora. And he has the sweetest disposition! He's very charming as I haul his tiny fur body out of the bag of corn chips. What IS it with the boycats and the destruction? He has to chew on everything.

MG, that picture of Jesus Christmas is ****ing priceless. PRICELESS!!! Poor little bloke being outside in the cold!

Boy cats just have to know about everything and anything around them. Females are true Queens, not giving a **** about much other than a clean litter box, fresh water, food and importantly, their own thrones! :lol:

And I would have let Isis have at it with the nasty cat, now that cat has free range to bother Isis as much as it wants, which is sooo not fair to Isis! :(

Icy, Pookie did not get sick from eating the Poinsettia, right? Silly cat. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.