Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Fantasy XII Composite Thread

1186 replies to this topic

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts
JT. STOP. STOP IT MAN. NOW. NOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
OK...

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

sephiroth lives:
JT. STOP. STOP IT MAN. NOW. NOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

You coulda at least let me have some fun with the newer people...

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts
:D

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
it was getting kinda lame JT

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
If it looks like X and X-2 that's fine with me, there's only one thing I want back...the world map!! The linear travel method they used in X was just boring for me, the world map method of travel is the way to go. I really hope its re-implemented.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
Mystic Quest was horrible!!!

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,795 posts
yes, after i have played through FFX-2, i will want the world map back...i will NEED the world map back.

i do see a little resemblance with yuna, but really, that's about it. i don't really see how this looks like the FFX series at all...but that's just me. honestly, i wish SQUENIX would go back to the FF9 graphical style...that would be AWESOME looking on a next-gen system. thumbs_u

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
Think about it from the technical side. How can it not look like X & X-2? It's still on PS2, and we all pretty much agreed that the graphics couldn't get much better.

Final Fantasy I - VI all looked alike, and VII - IX all had the prerendered stuff.

That XII would look like X should not be unexpected.

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
I was referring more to the designs rather than the graphics.

For example: that jungle looks kinda like Kilika. That beach looks kinda like it could be Besaid beach.

BTW: Generally speaking, I don't think that FFIV~FFVI looked alike. FFIV and V looked similar, but VI was a bit different. That was the first thing I noticed when playing it. There was also some differentiation between VII (SD), VIII (serious), and IX (silly SD)

From what I'm seeing above, even the battle system looks a lot like X (though its hard to judge from one pic)

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
the differences from 7-9 where all because they were experimenting with 3d since it was new back when 7-9 cam out. I feel they need to have a main character like Auron/Vincent who has a dark or mysterious past, not a kid who is destined to become great...

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts

sephiroth lives:
i want to see more!!! it does look a bit like a FFX spinoff, but the characters look TOTALLY different, imo, as in style. their eyes are bigger, their faces are more round. i just need more!

?!?! What do you mean the chars. look totally different? They've ripped off the Squall/Rinoa hero/heroine template except it looks more like Tidus/Yuna.

Well, I'll be honest. I'm a little let down. They look way too much like FFX. As JTBT said, the designs shoulda been different. And it's not like they haven't had time to try new designs because it would have taken them no time to use the old models from FFX.

They seem to have shield's on their left arms. Interesting..

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
The shield's may have something to do with the battle system like an extra command to be able to block in battle at will. I mean this is FXII, an even numbered game so here the battle/leveling up system would be something pretty different.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Come on people! Let us leave the assumption till we have more information. After reading over all these posts again just to make sure that I am reading them right, I have got to say something.

What makes you think that FFXII looks like a rip-off of FFX on five pathetic cutouts of screenshots?

If you are unhappy with it, why? Because you assume that the battle system will be a stand in line battle system? It could just as easily be a battle system that we have not thought about or one similar to that of FFX-2. I don't know how they could implement something like that of XI with a party in a single-player game, but who knows? Maybe that is exactly what it is.

As far as the characters go, it will have to be at least somewhat different. Even if these first shots of Van and Ashe are close to FFX/X-2, the character design is being done by Akihiko Yoshida (FFT and Vagrant Story) and the art director is Hideo Minaba (FFTA, FFV and FFIX). They will each bring their own style to the game, and in time we should see that.

Just remember that Nobuo Uematsu will still be working with the game's music. It is hard to say if he will do the full soundtrack or share and supervise like he did with FFX and FFXI, but he will have a hand in it.

Most of all though is the connection to FFTA. With FFTA's producer, Yasumi Matsuno heading up this project as producer along with Jun Akiyama (FFT and Vagrant Story), it will most likely have a different twist the story than other FFs have had. Whether this is good or not will be seen when it comes out. And there is also the fact that Yasumi Matsuno stated that players should play FFTA and FFXII to get the most out of the story. All of which lead back to my previous comment.

**Spoilers**

When you beat the game, you see Marche and Mewt and they say, "Well that was a fun game. I love Final Fantasy."

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
From what I've seen, and I stress that part, I still think the art style looks a lot like X. Now I'm not totally bumming out on that thought because 1, what we've seen so far is very, very small, and 2, I liked the art style of X, so won't be disappointed as long as the story and gameplay are different as with all FF games. With that said though, I'm still looking forward to XII way more than X-2.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Amen!

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
[quote] Macstorm:
I don't know how they could implement something like that of XI with a party in a single-player game, but who knows? Maybe that is exactly what it is.[/quote]Easy. Its still turn based, but you can actually move your character around in battle as each turn comes up like you can in FFXI. Each character has a limited amount of time to act, so if you're good you can move in to attack and then move them back out of range. Or keep them close to the fiend. I don't want it to be as action-oriented as Kingdom Hearts, because quite frankly that hack-n-slash battle system puts me to sleep. Or add a multiplayer option where friends can fight with you at the same time for an extra advantage.

Also, I'm tired of taking this into a seperate battle engine. Show me the enemies in the field, and let the battle happen there. There's all kinds of great tactics that can come from this. There is NO reason they can't do this. They had originally planned to do this in FFX, but they decided to go ahead and get the game out.

And they need to stop with the devastating, "destroy the world" ultimate attacks and then everything is ok after it happens. It looks cool graphically, but its unpractical. FFX did a good job of cutting down on this, though there were a couple of "ultimate" attacks like that. I'm not saying eliminate limits breaks, but keep them a little more sensible (like Tidus' blitz ace). Go for the aesthetic instead of the wow. Not some guy summoning a meteor to destroy the entire universe then we're all fine, or something that looks like a nuclear bomb wiping out everything on screen.

In way of character, I'm getting kinda tired of angst-filled teenagers. We've seen it in full-effect since FFVII. There have been some more mature characters littered along the way, like the very cool Auron. Characters who have different sets of self-problems.

quote:
Just remember that Nobuo Uematsu will still be working with the game's music. It is hard to say if he will do the full soundtrack or share and supervise like he did with FFX and FFXI, but he will have a hand in it.[/quote]See, this means very little to me anymore. I love Nobuo as much as the next guy/gal, but the new fresh composers coming in I think is a good thing. I really adore the original work that Hamauzu and Nakano put into FFX. They provided some of the best tracks in the full 4-disc set. Uematsu had very little contribution on the FFXI OST; Naoshi Mizuta's and Kumi Tanioka's work on that is very good, IMO.

Ultimately, the thing that gives me hope for this is the Vagrant Story and FFT design teams. I just hope they don't allow themselves to get caught up in the traditional FF formula.

However, there are some traditional FF elements I would like to see:

-Keep it linear. What? Not another linear RPG?! Yes. The strength of Final Fantasy, ever since FFIV, has been its story and characters. It wasn't that way in the beginning, but FFIV changed all that. FFXI is a bit of an exception, because its strength is gameplay. However, if you're good at "role playing", you CAN create a good character out of your own.

-Airships, Chocobos, and Moogles. These are all now FF trademarks. No new FF would be complete without them in some way, shape or form.

-FMVs. People complain about the load times (which are virtually nonexistant in FF games) and the differentiation between real-time graphics. But, IMO, no ones does FMV better than Square-Enix. They're epic, beautiful, and they serve to advance the typical strong FF story.

I'm sorry Mac. I'm not judging the game based on what I've seen so far. I am, however, judging what I've seen so far. And so far I'm not the least impressed like I was with the early shots of all the other FF games (FFI~FFXI).

I suppose its partially my fault for buying so hard into SE's line that this one was gonna be different and make us question if this is FF.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
remember that these are leaked shots, not first released shots, so you rae getting some probably crappy shots compared to the good stuff that will be released wednesday...

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
Well, the quality of the shots doesn't really bother me. Those graphics are probably as good as it gets for PS2. Heck, FFX is STILL one of the best looking games for PS2 (and IGN was saying that FFX-2 looked as good as some high-end XBOX games)

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Ok, I can understand the dislike of what we have seen so far. I just can't believe that people are saying that this is a FFX clone, when it is still to be seen.

Yes, it still seems to have teens as the main character. Maybe, just maybe, they won't be sulking characters like Cloud, Squall, or Tidus. Maybe Van will be a badass boy scout that is not troubled by anything. Kinda like Zidane. He just happens onto something, but has no past issues to deal with.

Your point about the destroy the world ultimate attacks, I couldn't agree more with. Those things just get stupid after a couple of uses. As of now though, we don't know if they will have them or not in FFXII.

Your point on having enemies appear on screen, I will have to wait and see on that one. Some games that have had this were fine (Wild Arms III) and some I irritated me (Lunar remakes, though that could just be because I had played both for SegaCD first). If it gets implemented well, then I would enjoy it. I will wait and see.

As for Nobou goes, I really enjoy his touch in the music aspect. Now I don't mind if he doesn't do the whole soundtrack, but I hope that he has a part in it. He did supervise FFX and FFXI, just not FFX-2.

Well I guess we will all just wait and see how it goes! Nov. 19th will give us more details.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
I am just saying that maybe SE released these shots just to taunt us for this week, and just unload on us with the good stuff

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
I hope they unload some kickass battle screens on us! :D

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Yes, some where you have ten people in the party at once.

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
Personally, I'd be happy with three or four. Just depends on what we can do with them.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
I want to see the battle system, how many playable characters you will have, and a plot summary... :D

Reply to this topic