Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Orange Blue

7 replies to this topic

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Edited by Antilla, 28 November 2009 - 12:47 PM.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Well.

This is quite simply amazing.

I always forget how much I truly enjoy your writing until I read it again. Then I simultaneously think WANT MORE and how much I hate you for your beautiful sentences.

One question: I can't really tell if the narrator is female or male. I'm inclined to think male just because of the relationship, but in the beginning the narrator snaps gum and adjusts their pony tail. Those are both very feminine things to do. So that makes me feel like it's a girl.

Some gems that deserve repeating:

I marveled at your thin wrists as I spoke. Your bones were like pipettes of glass, blown delicate and fragile. Your ulna and radius had grown hollow like a bird’s. You could fly if you wanted. You could live in the clouds. For you, swimming should have been a breeze.

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read in my entire life. no word of a lie.

Close your eyes. Remember it all. Let the moon pull you back.

This is exactly right. You managed to to wrap up all the longing of the narrator for this woman in three tiny sentences that hit you low in the gut.

Excellent job, Trevor. I hate you.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• 11,556 posts
April's been pestering me to read this since you posted it and now I see why. AWESOME work. :thumbsup:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
it's true. i'm antilla's pimp.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Just stop hitting me. I mean. You know. I'll get that money to you.

But yeah.

I wrote about lesbians. Just because. Actually, this isn't fiction as much as it is an amalgam of letters that I've written to other people. Serena Gatto ... yeah, that's actually Meg Gatto. I didn't find where she lived, but did track down her Myspace. "I'm not sure if I'm in the right place," is the exact thing I said when I first talked to the receptionist entombed inside her glassy cubical at the VCSB. The girl with the hollow bones is real. I used her for the character of Polly in Flutterby, too.

Also:

I don't know how to swim.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• 11,556 posts
Do you get that line "how can you live your whole life and not know how to swim?" a lot? I know I've said it to my boyfriend, who also doesn't know how, he's even taken lessons but he's horrified of the water. Good for him I went through lifeguard training I suppose. :lol:

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Mostly people don't know. Swimming opportunities don't really abound here. But. I am very afraid of drowning. And water that is deeper than I am tall.

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
This was amazingly lyrical, though perhaps a bit too lyrical for my personal tastes. I decided they were both women very early on, so I read it as such ;) There are some brilliant images in there - one that stood out to me was the spilling of the water and the broken clock.

I can't even remember before I knew how to swim!

Reply to this topic