Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green Hornet

34 replies to this topic

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

That's new! I haven't read. Anyone?

I've read a couple issues. It's not bad.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
Saw the trailer... Pass.

I keep waiting on news for The Brown Hornet.

Doze

Doze

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
So is Seth playing the son or grandson of the original GH or what? I know his character's name is the originals name but that trailer implies this isn't the first go around for the Hornet.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts
Not that the following is a surprise, but some very negative reviews are in...

Ebert's one star review:

"The Green Hornet" is an almost unendurable demonstration of a movie with nothing to be about. Although it follows the rough storyline of previous versions of the title, it neglects the construction of a plot engine to pull us through. There are pointless dialogue scenes going nowhere much too slowly, and then pointless action scenes going everywhere much too quickly. Seth Rogen deserves much of the blame. He co-wrote the screenplay, giving himself way too many words, and then hurls them tirelessly at us at a modified shout. He plays Britt Reid, a spoiled little rich brat who grows up the same way, as the son of a millionaire newspaper publisher (Tom Wilkinson, who apparently remains the same age as his son ages from about 10 to maybe 30). After his father's death, he shows little interest in running a newspaper, but bonds with Kato (Jay Chou), his father's auto mechanic and coffee maker. Yes...

Click the link for the rest of Ebert's interesting analysis.

Meanwhile....

San Francisco Chronicle:

"The film's insurmountable problem is that Rogen and Goldberg are committed to the comic notion that Britt is an idiot. This becomes a box that the character and the movie can't escape. At no point does Britt's strategy of doing good while pretending to be evil ever reveal itself to be coherent. On the contrary, Rogen's Green Hornet doesn't do anybody any good, not even by accident he just wreaks havoc. Britt is a joke, a parody of a fatuous rich heir. That provides the occasional laugh, as when Britt comes on to his secretary (the long-suffering Cameron Diaz), who loathes him. But when the violence comes, who cares if this fatuous, ineffectual, trouble-making idiot survives?" Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

Ouch.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
I liked it for what it was, an action comedy with typical Seth Rogen. He plays a rich version of his Knocked Up character basically. Really funny at points and Kato is great. It did seem to pace too fast over the Hornet's rise though. I enjoyed it and the 3D was impressive in the action scenes.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Middle act seemed to drag a bit, but saw this on opening weekend with a full house and it was a fun experience. Beginning and end were excellent, but again the middle was kind of long. That would be my only complaint to an otherwise funny movie with some really fun action.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts
Smells like a flop in the making:

According to the released information, the production budget was $120 million, but after a holiday weekend, this sloppy geek experiment coughed over the finish line with $57,297,080 (worldwide). With no significant holiday breaks in the near future, and the palpable resentment toward Rogen for stuffing himself in the historically dramatic role, there is great doubt each new week will do anything other than earn far less than the previous week's showings.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
This movie is more of a comedy then it is a superhero movie. Funny in spots but it is no Dark KNight or Spider-man 2.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I enjoyed the **** outta this movie.

Exceeded my expectations for sure. Well done all around, but especially impressed with Jay Chou.

Reply to this topic