Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green Hornet

34 replies to this topic

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,120 posts
This news is a week old but thought it was worth noting anyway.

Set for release in 2010, Rogen's latest will be a 're-imagining' of the cult classic best known for introducing many of us to one Bruce Lee. Not only will Rogen co-write and star in the film, but Empire is reporting that directing the film, and playing the part of Kato will be none other than Stephen Chow!!!
Posted Image

Yes, the Chinese genius behind the magnificent Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer is set to bring his Looney Tunes sense of humour and kinetic, thousand-miles-an-hour visual sense to his first American movie – as well as playing the role made most famous by perhaps the most famous movie martial artist of them all, Bruce Lee.

"I'm excited to be taking on 'The Green Hornet' -- obviously I've been a huge fan of the show since I was a kid," Chow told The Hollywood Reporter. "The idea of stepping into Bruce Lee's shoes as Kato is both humbling and thrilling, and to get the chance to direct the project as my American movie debut is simply a dream come true." Lee, of course, played Kato in the 1960s TV show.

Frankly, we can’t wait for this one. Rogen and his writing partner, Evan Goldberg, showed with the excellent Pineapple Express that a) Superbad was no fluke in the funny stakes and b) that they knew their way around an action sequence. Expect to see sparks fly, in a good way, when their droll comedic sensibilities and feel for genre collides with Chow’s wonderfully demented directing style.

"Stephen was always my and Evan's first choice for director and to play Kato,” laughed Rogen. “We just hope that he never finds out we're not the Wachowski Brothers."

Could they have gotten that casting any more perfect?

Edited by Darth Spoon, 22 June 2010 - 03:17 AM.

Primbud

Primbud

Good For You

• Members
  • 72,824 posts
This'll probably work because the show was bad enough. Oops.
The show is still on the air.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,120 posts
I know there were many despairing about Chow dropping out of the director's chair for this. But I think they've found a suitable replacement

Michel Gondry

I approve :thumbsup:

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,745 posts
:hmm:

That's all I got. Other than a little sadness at the confirmation that this'll be a comedy. (Just a little. I'm not, like, a hardcore Hornethead or whatever.)

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
Wow. This is certainly turning out to be a worthwhile project. Seth Rogen, Stephen Chow, and Michel Gondry are all geniuses in their own way. It'll be interesting to see them come together.

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts

:hmm:

That's all I got. Other than a little sadness at the confirmation that this'll be a comedy. (Just a little. I'm not, like, a hardcore Hornethead or whatever.)

I don't know if I'd call myself a hardcore Green Hornet fan; but I do like the character so I'm very disappointed that Sony is letting Seth Rogen turn the movie into a comedy. It's a real shame, since Sony could have had a movie that was in true and direct competition with Warner Bros. Batman Begins + The Dark Knight.

Not to say that a good GH would ape the "dark" [for lack of a better descriptor] tone that BB + TDK have, but since the Green Hornet (1936) and Batman (1939) share some pulp hero elements in their creation a good movie for either character would use those pulp hero elements.

Too bad Rogen won't deliver anything close to Aurlien POITRIMOULT's 2006 Green Hornet fan film...

One of the problems I see with Rogen turning the Green Hornet into a comedy, is that it'll be fighting all along not to seem like a poor man's Pink Panther. The comparison wouldn't be much of an issue if there hadn't been a Pink Panther movie in years; but with Steve Martin having already finished one and with another one upcoming Sony's advertising team will have their hands full.

gescom7

gescom7

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

I know there were many despairing about Chow dropping out of the director's chair for this. But I think they've found a suitable replacement

Michel Gondry

I approve :thumbsup:

I'll sign up for anything Michael Gondry does. Genius.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,120 posts
I think perhaps people are focusing on Rogen too much. Did I mention MICHEL ****ing GONDRY??? :hmm:

Darth Dude

Darth Dude

terminal crazy

• Members
  • 13,972 posts
Meh. Tony Jaa should've been the guy they called first.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,745 posts
Big news for fans of Basterds:

--> Christoph Waltz signs on to replace Nicolas Cage

Christoph Waltz, who is generating raves for his role as a Nazi in Inglorious Basterds, has signed on to play the villain in Columbia Pictures' action comedy The Green Hornet.

Waltz will play Chudnofsky, a Los Angeles crime boss who tries to unite the city's various gangs in order to form a supermafia.

The Austrian actor replaces Nicolas Cage, who had been in talks to take the role but walked away from negotiations last week when a contract couldn't be finalized.

Haven't seen Waltz yet myself, but the reviews all seem to love him. Personally, I'm still grappling with the "action comedy" tag on this. Hmph.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
YES!

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Thank GOD! Nicolas Cage dropped out. I can't believe that douche still has a career. The one Coppola I could do without!

Edited by Wally Q, 14 September 2009 - 08:20 PM.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,120 posts
That is BRILLIANT :thumbsup:

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,120 posts
New trailer

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
Looks Jonah Hex kind of horrible. Cool Concept but poorly executed. Rogen is just so wrong for this part.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Does not look good.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I'm going to wait for a second trailer before I judge it. It looks fun but the trailer is too gonzo.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
I read a few weeks ago that Sony almost pulled the plug after seeing some of this and then they kept it going but moved the release date until the MLK weekend to get it out of the crowded winter holiday line up of films. These are all bad signs.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Sony is easily the worst studio in Hollywood as far as I'm concerned so whether they were squeamish on the dailies or not, I'm still giving Gondry a chance.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,495 posts
I want to agree with you, but from the looks of this... well.. I don't see Gondry anywhere. I just see the usual blockbuster/cgi/post-Matrix actiony stuff I see all the time. I worry that the studio was so hung on making sure this was a franchise-ready hit that Gondry didn't have any freedom.

I was going to give my usual complaint of Hollywood making something silly when it didn't need to be-- but when I think about it pretty much every version of Green Hornet is already campy. Don't quite think the mythos has enough weight, plus, you can't out dark the Dark Knight. I'm not shocked at all they've decided to go with a tone similar to Iron Man.

I'm not ready to hate on it, but I'm not exactly excited either.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

I was going to give my usual complaint of Hollywood making something silly when it didn't need to be

Go right ahead!

Reason:

but when I think about it pretty much every version of Green Hornet is already campy.

eh....not at all. The radio dramas were that--dramas, plus using the period edge of seriously played mobsters as villains. The two GH serials were played fairly straight, with no humor, or "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" at the audience.
The 1966-67 TV series was deliberately played straight according to all involved--with the majority of antagonists coming from the mobster/terrorist/high crime influence, with only one villain (the 2-part series finale's "Dr. Mabuse") crossing over into the slight sci-fi zone with a stolen missile threat, but even that premise took more of its inspiration from a real world notion than camp-shaped fantasy.

Some often make the mistake of considering the TV series "camp" for no other reason than its producer (William Dozier) being the same person behind the Adam West / Burt Ward Batman series, and the famous one-shot crossover episode of the latter series. Aside from that crossover, the two series have little to nothing in common--the very reason many are so pissed at Rogen's slob/geeking-up/destruction of the GH concept (via numerous style influences from the TV series like the Black Beauty), due to the series reputation for being played straight--unlike Batman.

Hopefully, this film will be the major disaster the trailer screams that it may be, and crush the idea of geeking up serious concepts along the way.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,495 posts
I meant in retrospect they seem camp. They may have been played straight at the time, I just meant that, unlike say Batman which has a book like Year One, there's no official modern "dark" version of Green Hornet.

Not that I am defending this movie before seeing it-- I just see why they went the direction they did.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

I meant in retrospect they seem camp. They may have been played straight at the time, I just meant that, unlike say Batman which has a book like Year One, there's no official modern "dark" version of Green Hornet.

?

Posted Image

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,495 posts
That's new! I haven't read. Anyone?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
^I remember seeing the cover and thinking the mask was silly. That's all I got.

As for the tone of the film, I don't mind. I just hope it is a great mix of action and comedy... like my beloved movies of the 80s; ie Beverly Hills Cop, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Golden Child etc. etc.

All of those films had strong comedic elements that blended seemlessly with legit action. So I would be in favor of an adventure styled in their shadow. I haven't seen this trailer yet, BTW, so I don't know if my POV is already invalidiated by horrid Scary Movie like satire being displayed in the trailer or not.

Edited by The Human Torch, 29 June 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Reply to this topic