Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spider-Man 4 a go

95 replies to this topic

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

Carnage: Hell no. Enough with the idiot era of Marvel Comics.

What's wrong with Carnage?

The Rhino: Has potential--if used as orignally created, and not written off as a dumbass. He needs to be a brutal killer on screen--not suggested through the Daily Bugle, or bystanders.

Rhino has always been something of a dumbass to create a fair balance. You can't be too smart if you've got such enhanced strength and speed. Maybe if part of any potential plot took elemants from Flowers for Rhino, then maybe you've got the premise for him being so dangerous as for Spider-Man to be needed to stop him.

As far as your brutal killer stuff goes, I'd say that's perfect for our ole' buddy Carnage who, in the Ultimate universe, must kill for sustenance. Plus his origin is tied in with Connors very well here and is partially established.

Original or not, if it has been penned then it's fair game as far as I'm concerned. The "ultimate" story involving Spidey/Connors/Carnage is perfect.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Venom I can handle, in fact hes one of my favourite Spidey villains, but someone like Carnage, nah, hes just a lame rip-off who detracts from Venom. No more symbiotes, who was it after Carnage in the comics, Toxin? Where do you stop, each symbiote just spawns an even worse off-spring and it gets silly. Keep Venom unique.

I'd go for:
Posted Image
He'd be quite a different villain to those that have been in the previous films.

sithlordvaderoctober

sithlordvaderoctober

• Members
  • 134 posts
Thats what I said before stay with "old school" villians.TDK had the Joker and Two-Face and look how that movie did. Spiderman has some very good villians still,I like to see a old villian like (Electro or Mysterio team up with a "new" villian like Morlun,Kraven or Ezekiel...than have a quick appearance Bruce Banner or Tony Stark to set up the Avengers movie...

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• 8,403 posts

I'd go for:
Posted Image
He'd be quite a different villain to those that have been in the previous films.

WTF is that?!?!?!? Super Psychic Man? Miss Cleo in disguise?

I'm sorry but I would completely laugh my ass off if the villian walked around with a crystal ball as a head.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Two movies/one story? That would be sweet. Still gotta go with Ultimate Spider-Man stuff here for proposed ideas...

film 1: Connors uses symbiote studies to become Lizard, unintentionally creating Carnage. Film focuses on (main plot) Spidey vs Lizard with the usual stuff going on with Peter and Connors when they aren't in their dual roles, meanwhile (subplot) Carnage cuts loose and begins killing for sustenance. It ends either with Captain Stacy dying by the hand of a criminal in a Spidey suit (or for a beefier story, Carnage in the form of Spidey) to create the Spidey/Gwen conflict or with Carnage killing Gwen and Peter feeling responsible (which in this story, must happen at some point either here or at some point in the next movie)...

Posted Image

film 2: Spidey struggles with his guilt over Gwens death while tracking down Carnage and, unlike most villains he faces, kills Carnage out dually out of revenge and to prevent his evil from causing any further damage

--

Whatever they do, I WON'T be hating it before its even made or before I see it simply because Spidey 3 wasn't the greatest.

Thanks for reminding me where Ultimate Spider-Man went oh-so-wrong.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Just out of curiosity, where exactly do you feel the wrong turn took place in relation to this and how do you think it should have been different?

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts

WTF is that?!?!?!? Super Psychic Man? Miss Cleo in disguise?

I'm sorry but I would completely laugh my ass off if the villian walked around with a crystal ball as a head.

That's Mysterio. He's a sort-of illusionist, by which I mean he uses lots of holograms to drive Spidey batty. Sometimes there're chemicals to make the illusions seem more realistic and frightening to his victims.

So he's like the Scarecrow wearing a helmet that looks like a giant-sized unpopped bubble-wrap bubble. I thought he was cool when I was seven.

Just out of curiosity, where exactly do you feel the wrong turn took place in relation to this and how do you think it should have been different?

Not speaking for sol here, but I personally gave up on Ultimate Spidey after the 27th time that another second-string super-hero guest-starred in his series and treated him like a kindergartener. This would've been one of those "Marvel Knights" arcs somewhere after #100. It was irksome enough when Nick Fury talked down to him...but it was getting to the point where every other hero except Kitty Pryde acted like he was Jimmy Olsen. Screw that.

For what it's worth, I actually didn't mind the way that the series handled its Spider-Clones. At least Bendis didn't try to milk a dead horse for years like the original "saga" did. (Mangled metaphor absolutely intentional.)

t-spoon

t-spoon

• Members
  • 295 posts
Perhaps the thread should be titled 'Spider-Man 4 a go....maybe'

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Y'know, I'm not even sure. The way they handled Gwen Stacy's death just pissed me off so badly that I was reading the book angry for several arcs afterward. I knew that there was no way they were going to top her original death, but man...just to have her come home one day and get killed by a random freak attack was a total waste of what was becoming probably my favorite character in the comic.

For all I know the comic could have been just as good as it was before (probably not because the villains had been pretty anemic for some time), but I was just reading out of habit after that.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
If Carnage's attack on Stacy was random, then yeah...kinda wasteful. But really, it takes a lot to top the original in most cases.

So if that's the case, it could have been (and could be in an on-screen adaptation) easily fixed. Carnage would know that Spidey = Peter since the symbiote used to be his suit so he intentionally seeks out Gwen to draw out Spider-Man, who is otherwise busy handling the Lizard. Carnage's motivation for wanting to face Spidey? Well, they could go on the whole sustenance angle here - where killing normal people feeds Carnage enough to survive, feeding off Spidey's altered DNA would make Carnage more powerful than he already is and perhaps sustain him even moreso than any amount of normal people ever could.

So while Spider-Mans motivations are clearly defined in defeating Carnage for both the greater good and revenge for Gwens death, Carnage's motivation is also easily defined - he feels that he must kill Spidey to satiate his hunger and become more powerful. That simple storytelling there, and the groundwork for good character enrichment.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Carnage in a Spidey film will be seen as a retread of Spidey 3 by many casual fans and even not so casual fans. It would just replace Venom with Carnage, replace Mary Jane's peril with Gwen Stacy... same story.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Well, sort of...except Mary Jane has never been killed. Venom was about breaking Spider-Man's head out of jealousy/revenge and his own brand of twisted justice, while Carnage would be more about survival, bloodlust, and causing his very namesake.

The interesting part of the Ultimate Universe Carnage is that while Spidey justifies killing it by deducting that it is inhuman or not actually a living thing, Carnage himself/itself developes a sense of remorse for Spidey that the original Carnage would enver have felt. As that symbiote dies, clinging to Spider-Man for life, it decides to allow itself to die so Spider-Man can live. Kind of odd.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,964 posts

Carnage in a Spidey film will be seen as a retread of Spidey 3 by many casual fans and even not so casual fans. It would just replace Venom with Carnage, replace Mary Jane's peril with Gwen Stacy... same story.

Well being repetitive doesn;t bother the makers of Spiderman movies. The climax of Spidey 3 was the exact same set up as Spiderman. The bad guys kidnap Mary Jane and suspend her high over teh city to lure Spiderman out. Same exact damn thing.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Rhino's a bit part villain and should be one amazing fight scene and that's it. The Lizard could be something special if Raimi doesn't try to make him all emo and the 'nobody understands my pain' type.

I think the Lizard could be a sweet set-up, if they play it right.

Regardless, I think the movie should open with Spidey fighting the Rhino and winning, sort of like how some of the comics open with battles, because I'm sick and mother****ing tired of Spider-Man fighting incompetent bandits. It's fine in the comics, but give us some variety in the freaking movies!

sithlordvaderoctober

sithlordvaderoctober

• Members
  • 134 posts
I know that the Lizard is rumored to be in the next Spiderman,but as you know it just a rumor, things change so who should be Spidey next villian(s)

Tangent

Tangent

Hardcore will never die, but you will

• Members
  • 12,137 posts
Mohamed.

Or maybe Dick Cheney.

Tough call.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
Kraven the Hunter could be really cool I think, different then all of the science-experiment-gone-awry villains that we've seen so far.

Xensin

Xensin

I never post

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
Sarah ****ing Palin

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,806 posts
from yahoo.com:

Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire recently put to end months of gossip and signed on the dotted line for a fourth and fifth installment of "Spider-Man." The only principle not yet confirmed for the wildly successful franchise is Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson, though she's made recent statements that she wants to continue with the series. "Kirsten, I'd love to work with her again," Raimi told MTV's Splashpage: "I hope she'll be written into it. I couldn't imagine making one without her, and I think she's an important part of the movies."
Maguire will, of course, return as Peter Parker though Raimi's exact connection to the production seems a bit more up in the air. "I'm really excited about Spider-Man, and I'm hoping to direct it," said Raimi. "I don't have a script yet, but production would start probably by March of 2010, I'm guessing. It sounds like a long time away, but we need a script first, and a lot of pre-production has to take place."
There's also been much talk over whether or not the two movies will be shot back-to-back, like the "Lord of the Rings" films. As Raimi tells it, that too has yet to be determined. "It's [Sony Pictures Studio Head] Amy Pascal's decision. I don't think it has been decided yet, and she's the one that's really going to make that decision; I'm really curious myself."
Though there are no details on the story for Spider-Man 4 and 5, Raimi has hinted that the two movies will be connected. "If Tobey and me, and all the producers, like the story for two pictures and Amy wanted to do it, then we would do it. It just hasn't been written yet." Screenwriter James Vanderbilt, who wrote Zodiac, has been signed on to write the script. Sony is still casting for the films' villain, though internet speculation has lead to talk of Dr. Curt Connors, played by Dylan Baker, turning into The Lizard as he did in the comic series. There is even talk of Mary Jane's astronaut ex-fiancée John Jameson undergoing a transformation into Man-Wolf.
Raimi has admitted previously that shooting Spider-Man 3 was exhausting, so he's understandably daunted by the prospect of shooting two special-effects laden blockbusters at the same time. "It would be a real endurance test, probably only Peter Jackson knows how hard something like that would be."

This is fantastic. i think we all knew there would be more spidey films, but it's comforting to know that Tobey is officially back for at least 2 more films. Im sure they'll rebound from the disaster that was spider-man 3.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
I know what they should do for the next installments. Have Peter and MJ get married. I'd like to see what the guys at Marvel did then, since they tend to tie the comics somewhat to the movies (Spidey going back to the black costume when the third movie came out, for example).

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
Already discussed at http://forums.nightl...showtopic=57849

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,806 posts

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
And I started it! I must have totally brain-farted that thread.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
^ What's awesome about this situation of double posting is the difference in response to the news you had, David. One is focused soley on the crap that was and the other is extremely hopeful for the future while being mindful of what came before. I'd love to know if there was anything going on in your life differently between these two moments. Fascinating. Edit: Nevermind. I mistook Dom for David. Thought David started the other thread. Disregard.

Edited by The Human Torch, 18 October 2008 - 01:48 PM.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
I think 3 villans were too much for one film. The first two had one in each and did very well. I think Lizard is the next logical villan but I don't know if he can carry a film by himself. Even if they do a wedding they should have a second villan but not three.

Reply to this topic