Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spider-Man 4 a go

95 replies to this topic

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Locks In Sam Raimi & Tobey Maguire in 'Spider-Man 4'; Studio May Shoot '4' and '5' At The Same Time

It's time to end once and for all the rampant speculation. Sony doesn't want any info to leak but I'm told that both star Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi will be returning to make Zodiac screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt's script of Spider-Man 4. Sources tell me that Sony has recently locked in both veterans of Spider-Man 1 through 3. And I do mean recently because just a few weeks ago sources told me that Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal was openly discussing Tobey's potential replacements with various Hollywood agents because Tobey was hanging tough about a deal. "She was looking around to cover herself because Sony wanted him badly and Tobey wasn't sure he wanted to do it," an insider explained to me. (Later today, a Sony Pictures spokesman claimed to me on the record, "There was never anyone considered for the role but Tobey.")

There's no deal yet for Kirsten Dunst but Mary Jane Watson will be in the movie again. I'm told Sony "would never recast her" despite her rehab problems. But expect another gal part, too.

Gone is the black costume from Spidey 3, even though "dark" is all the rage in superhero movies right now given the enormous success of The Dark Knight. But I'm told the filmmakers won't be borrowing from the latest Batman installment because "Spider-Man is its own thing," one insider tells me. "Sam Raimi made the first serious superhero movie, and others followed. The difference between Spider-Man and Batman is that Batman is duelling with a dark side of himself, and that's not what Peter Parker's struggle is. Peter Parker has no dark side himself. In Spider-Man 3 it was the black costume. Peter Parker's struggle is about sacrifice."

Sony is taking its time officially hiring the movie's villain since principal photography doesn't start on Spider-Man 4 until next fall because of the recently postponed May 2011 release. I am told, however, that "once you find out who the villain is, you'll know who's playing it." That should lead to speculation that Dylan Baker's character of Dr. Curt Connors will ultimately turn into The Lizard as he did in the comic books. There's one other character that's been set up but is a real longshot -- Daniel Gillies, who plays John Jameson, the astronaut fiance of Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2. In the comics he becomes the villain Man-Wolf. Raimi has said in the past that he wants the best actors to play the villains in the movie, not necessarily the most famous.

I'm also told that, right now, the studio is trying to figure out if it can feasibly shoot Spider-Man 4 and 5 at the same time because doing that is so cost effective and "it wasn't so easy to get everybody back together".

Meanwhile, Sony is moving forward on its Spider-Man Broadway musical with music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge of U2 to be directed by Julie Taymor, the Tony Award-winning director of The Lion King. I'm still in a state of shock that Amy Pascal and Julie Taymor are working together again after the knock-down, drag-out fights they had over Sony/Revolution's Across The Universe. This is one of those showbiz moments when the Hollywood maxim, "I'll never work with you again until I need you", comes true.

And Sony has hired a pair of screenwriters to get going on the Spider-Man 3 spinoff movie Venom. Given that comic book artist/writer and action figure maker, Todd McFarlane, who is one of the creators of the Marvel villain, doesn't think a Venom movie could do well with a villain as the central character, my sources think Sony should let Topher Grace, even though he was blown up at the end of Spider-Man 3 (yet a portion of the Venom costume survived), stay in the role because the likeable actor could be a a sympathetic evildoer.

Meanwhile, you can snag a walk-on role on the movie via an eBay auction that ends at 7 PM PDT today. That's an hour before the broadcast networks ABC, CBS and NBC collaborate to air a historic, live and commercial-free television event, Stand Up To Cancer. Yes, Sony is allowing the charity to sell off the "Spider-Man 4 VIP Experience" which includes: a visit to the set of Spider-Man 4 (one shooting day, location of visit will be determined by Sony Pictures based on scheduling of visit), a meet-and-greet with the cast (1 hour), a walk-on/extra role in the film for the auction winner only (role and length of screen time to be determined by Sony Pictures), a trip to the New York premiere (location of U.S. premiere may be changed at Sony Pictures’ discretion), designer outfits to wear to premiere for winner and guest from top designers (designers to be chosen by Sony Pictures; winner and guest may keep the outfits; winner and guest will walk the premiere’s red carpet).

Link.

I hope they're better than the ****ty third one.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,466 posts
It'd be pretty hard to make them any worse. I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to see any more at this point, though.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
Splitting a story up into two films is probably a better idea. They can take their time instead of cramming too much stuff in like in the third one, unless they just cram both movies to the brim. We'll probably see Lizard, and maybe Carnage since they kinda set it up with Dr. Connors keeping a sample of the Venom symbiote (I believe he creates Carnage by mixing it with his own blood or something). Kraven the Hunter could also be interesting if they didn't make it too goofy.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Can't be as bad as 3 which just gets worse and worse with repeat viewings. I think 2 is the best superhero film to date so hopefully its a return to that sort of form.

Lizard must be a certainty after Connors was in the previous 3. Hobgoblin, Carnage, and Mysterio are probably the next most likely candidates for a villain (personally, I'd love to see Rhino, even if only in some early action scene where Spidey takes him down easily).

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
doc ock cheesiness>iron man, batman returns and the dark knight? :lol:

as regards the news... it was obviously going to happen, probably won't watch it for some time, if at all.

Guest_mateoboz_*

Guest_mateoboz_*
  • Guests
I'm excited. Hopefully Kirsten Dunst will return. I would hate to see such an important role be re-cast after 3 movies.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
She doesn't have to be there. Bring in the Black Cat.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts

Doc Ock awesomeness > Iron Man, Batman Returns and the Dark Knight. Although why you're listing Returns I don't know.....

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Two movies/one story? That would be sweet. Still gotta go with Ultimate Spider-Man stuff here for proposed ideas...

film 1: Connors uses symbiote studies to become Lizard, unintentionally creating Carnage. Film focuses on (main plot) Spidey vs Lizard with the usual stuff going on with Peter and Connors when they aren't in their dual roles, meanwhile (subplot) Carnage cuts loose and begins killing for sustenance. It ends either with Captain Stacy dying by the hand of a criminal in a Spidey suit (or for a beefier story, Carnage in the form of Spidey) to create the Spidey/Gwen conflict or with Carnage killing Gwen and Peter feeling responsible (which in this story, must happen at some point either here or at some point in the next movie)...

Posted Image

film 2: Spidey struggles with his guilt over Gwens death while tracking down Carnage and, unlike most villains he faces, kills Carnage out dually out of revenge and to prevent his evil from causing any further damage

--

Whatever they do, I WON'T be hating it before its even made or before I see it simply because Spidey 3 wasn't the greatest.

Edited by Exodus, 06 September 2008 - 04:50 PM.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Man, why can't you see the glory of what is to come....

CLONE SAGA!!!! Two movies of nothing but Clones, Clones, and more Clones!

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Carnage? Ugh. I can choke down Venom, but that's too much.

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts

Doc Ock awesomeness > Iron Man, Batman Returns and the Dark Knight. Although why you're listing Returns I don't know.....

returns=begins

and doc ock was one of the least awesome things i've ever seen. plus the final fight was about as unepic as it gets.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,120 posts
Lizard is a given, as is Carnage. Whether Carnage is in this one or the next, he will feature. Especially given the complaints about Venom's lack of screentime in 3. Doing two films together makes sense, in fact the last film should've been done that way too.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
I'm not really sure where Spiderman can go from here. He's already used up his main bad guys. The rest are beyond horrible.

I certainly don't see them being able to sell a "dark" Spiderman. Can't blame them for trying, though. All franchises have to milk it until they suck. SM3 was a great start.

sithlordvaderoctober

sithlordvaderoctober

• Members
  • 134 posts
I want to see Electro I think that charcter should be a main villian in one of the movies,along with Lizard or even Mysterio,and SHOCKER .Ithink in order for Spiderman to do well like TDK it needs a different approch to the story.You stay with "old school villians" and a sort of "dark plot', like TDK people will go back to see it again and again,Raimi is gonna have to do these two films almost perfect for them to be succesfull............

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
All he has to do is take a successful comic storyline, or one that can be easily morphed into a movie, and find a way to make the transition with it onto the big screen. Preferably, one that allows rich character developement.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
I bet Peter will reveal to Aunt May that hes Spider-Man in the next one, or we'll get something like this:

Posted Image

returns=begins

and doc ock was one of the least awesome things i've ever seen. plus the final fight was about as unepic as it gets.

The final fight in the warehouse wasn't that great but the fight on the train is just about the best fight scene in any superhero film! Doc Ock is Spidey's best villain and he was perfect in 2, and he was handled way better than Goblin, Sandman or Venom.

"A guy called Otto Octavius ends up with eight limbs - what are the odds" :D

Edited by Ixion, 07 September 2008 - 02:26 AM.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
The only way I'm heavily interested in Spidey 4, 5 and possibly a 6 (making it a two trilogy saga) is if... they fictionalize the time span between Spidey 4 and what was Spidey 3. They can make the new films now, soon, but the script should have the films set much further into Spidey's career. I'm talking several years. An almost middle aged Peter and gang etc etc. Doing this we can jump into new situations with the characters. We can just start out with an established marriage with Pete and MJ, that off screen they courted and wed (because really who wants to see that be courted through another film). We can then also have Aunt May much frailer than in the past films, possibly moving in with Pete and MJ due to it. We can have MJ established in a primetime soap/dramedy actress role (giving her character off screen growth and a place to push her through these new films)... possibly with a trying to get pregnant angle too. Peter can be in a teaching or assistent teaching position at his university, with a stable acceptance for his photography "hobby" at the Bugle. Basically we can have everything AWESOME for the characters. They have several years of stable awesomeness... and now with this new and fun place to be we can steadily dismantle that stability. But we need to be careful not to copy the progression of the last films, it can't always be Peter and MJ are happy and now they aren't etc.

Darth Dude

Darth Dude

terminal crazy

• Members
  • 13,972 posts

Lizard is a given, as is Carnage. Whether Carnage is in this one or the next, he will feature. Especially given the complaints about Venom's lack of screentime in 3. Doing two films together makes sense, in fact the last film should've been done that way too.

I wasn't disappointed with Venom. You can't do Venom without telling how Spidey gets the suit, what he does with it, and how he gets rids of it anyway, and how Brock gets it. So unless people wanted Venom to survive and be pointlessly swinging around Spidey 4 for two hours (like some people want from Two-Face in the other franchise), he was utilized as fully as he could be. Topher Graces casting however should be debated, but I liked him. :shrug:

The real problem with that movie was Sandman, who should have been cut to make more room for Harry and Venom. The revenge angle should have been played out with Harry, not Sandman, whos only inclusion was to provide a CGI wankfest.

But this new movie, yeah, Carnage? Puke... :puke: The guy needs to be in Nolans Bat-franchise to be done properly. Stick with Lizard and Kraven, and Raimi will probably get my admission money.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts

All he has to do is take a successful comic storyline, or one that can be easily morphed into a movie, and find a way to make the transition with it onto the big screen. Preferably, one that allows rich character developement.

My immediate thought is "Kraven's Last Hunt", but it's more psychodrama than summer-action-blockbuster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try an oversimplified Clone Saga, but I'd prefer they didn't.

The Red Aaron

The Red Aaron

• Members
  • 463 posts

The only way I'm heavily interested in Spidey 4, 5 and possibly a 6 (making it a two trilogy saga) is if... they fictionalize the time span between Spidey 4 and what was Spidey 3. They can make the new films now, soon, but the script should have the films set much further into Spidey's career. I'm talking several years. An almost middle aged Peter and gang etc etc. Doing this we can jump into new situations with the characters. We can just start out with an established marriage with Pete and MJ, that off screen they courted and wed (because really who wants to see that be courted through another film). We can then also have Aunt May much frailer than in the past films, possibly moving in with Pete and MJ due to it. We can have MJ established in a primetime soap/dramedy actress role (giving her character off screen growth and a place to push her through these new films)... possibly with a trying to get pregnant angle too. Peter can be in a teaching or assistent teaching position at his university, with a stable acceptance for his photography "hobby" at the Bugle. Basically we can have everything AWESOME for the characters. They have several years of stable awesomeness... and now with this new and fun place to be we can steadily dismantle that stability. But we need to be careful not to copy the progression of the last films, it can't always be Peter and MJ are happy and now they aren't etc.

I don't see that happening...at all.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
Unless they start tying it in some cool way to the eventual Avengers film, I won't be the slightest bit interested. Iron Man and Dark Knight have made me outgrow this crap.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts
Carnage: Hell no. Enough with the idiot era of Marvel Comics.

The Lizard: Fine. Connors' pain of dealing with his alter ego (in the Hulk tradition) was effective in the comics.

Hobgoblin: No. After the lame Harry as Goblin-villain/then Goblin-hero plot of SM3, the entire goblin legacy needs a long vacation.

The Rhino: Has potential--if used as orignally created, and not written off as a dumbass. He needs to be a brutal killer on screen--not suggested through the Daily Bugle, or bystanders.

Mary Jane: forget it. She serves no purpose, and is a parody of a soap opera with the mishandled "i've got problems too" crap. If that was not bad enough, Dunst is aging like she drank from the wrong chalice last seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But they screwed up Gwen Stacy, so I think Peter/Spider-Man needs a new chick.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
If you can't do something right, don't bother doing it at all.

Carnage cannot be portrayed correctly in these movies as he has to be shown as crazy and a completely savage killer. The closest they've come to showing a murder is Doc Ock's shadow maiming some other doctors.

Rhino's a bit part villain and should be one amazing fight scene and that's it.

The Lizard could be something special if Raimi doesn't try to make him all emo and the 'nobody understands my pain' type.

I'd personally love to see a story with the Kingpin and his rule of low level crime, you could have Spidey take on Hammerhead early on and Kingpin eventually hires Electro to take him out. Set up Connors in the background dealing with re-creating his arm and have his transformation be the final scene setting up number 4. You could even have Kingpin wrestling for control of the city with Adrian Toomes and set up the possibility of the Vulture in the 5th film also.

Although they probably won't go the route of Kingpin and mob bosses as it might be too much like Dark Knight.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Not too incredibly excited. Of course I think even the first two films are overrated.

Although I will say they're better off just dropping Dunst and the MJ character. I love her in the comics but she was so miscast in the first place in the movies. Bring in Felicia.

Reply to this topic