MAN BEHEADS VICTIM, THEN EATS FLESH

Pong Messiah

basil you trip me out... didn't you just get done in another thread claiming we were past being "just monkies" and could now be "human" and actually be able to "vote" for this financial equality shtick you believe in? But now we're just confused monkies again? :shrug:

Obviously, some people are more confused than others. (Notice how "crazy" can't ever be proven in court? Some folks just follow bad ideas. I mean, what's crazy for an ape?)

But if you don't believe there's a difference between what we are and what we can be, then you don't believe in nuthin'.

Humans are apes that know they're apes.

Apes are apes that don't.

Reason = Humanity.

Everything I argue, everything I say is because of Science, and for Humanism. It saddens me that those concepts are so foreign to our everyday thought process that people don't even know when I'm being consistent.

Anyway, this man was just a confused ape who didn't know his brother from a brisket.

Anyway, this man was just a confused ape who didn't know his brother from a brisket.

Few things are so simple...so simple it tends to remove intent, consideration and personal responsibility. If Li--like a Ramirez, was either shaped by immoral concepts (in concert with his own free will), then he's not operating off of some latent primitive trigger. Where there is responsibility and intent, you can define the end result as an evil act.

Guest The_return_of_thanos
but seriously... that's kinda weird. i wonder why he did that?

as in

LOL!!! WHY HE DO DAT????

Guest Amidala777
Holy crap! Yet another reason to avoid public transportation as if it were the plague!

well there's public transportation... and then there's greyhound.

i once had the distinct displeasure of having to ride it once. and i'll put it this way- you'll never forget riding it. something happens on every trip. obviously not to this extreme (usually), but something will happen, nonetheless.

Still, that does not instantly make him insane.

Wow. Yeah... it really does.

Agreed Rock.

how is it possible that in an entire bus full of people there wasn't a single one who wasn't too ***** to ****ing take this guy down after the first stab?

are people so focused on self-preservation that they just run away?

I've heard reports on the news during Katrina in the astrodome and places like it people allowed rapes and attacks to go on without interfering or helping the people.

So it's not unheard of.

Guest Amidala777

not only is it not unheard of, i would've been surprised if anyone did try to take the guy.

i mean sure, it's easy to armchair quarterback this thing and be like- "oooh why didn't anyone DO anything! i would've bum rushed the mothaf-cka!"

get real.

the guy decapitated someone. so at the very least, we're looking at a psycho carrying what must've been a large knife. i mean you can't exactly decapitate someone with a swiss army knife. i'm pretty sure that anyone facing someone holding a machete in one hand, and a head in the other, soaked in blood, would either run for their life or be too shocked to do anything. this isn't exactly like united 93, where the passengers had lots of time to rationally think as a group through their actions, and knew they were (probably) gonna die anyway. in fact, most passengers probably had no idea what was going on until the man went up to the front and dropped the head. this also isn't indiana jones, where everyone has a uncanny ability to wrestle away knives from evil-doers in expert hand to hand combat.

yeah, sure... if a bunch of guys rushed the man, they probably could've taken him. the only problem is, someone has to make the first move. against a man holding a giant knife. soaked in blood and holding a head. AND- you're unarmed.

the only person that would make that first move is either a green beret or a black belt. i would've ran for my goddamn life, and i have no shame in admitting it.

Guest Amidala777

if you were unarmed? and facing a psycho with a giant blood stained knife? keep in mind he was also holding a head at one point. i'm pretty sure you don't even know yourself how you would react in that scenario. i don't know what i'd do exactly either, but at least i'm realistic about it. most likely i'd be freaking the f-ck out, and would run away at first chance. i don't really care if he pounces on a grandma next or not.

i don't wanna necessarily say i know what you'd do... but it would take some convincing that you're different from the 99% of people who's first instinct would be to run (unless cornered in a life/death situation). again, there might be some exceptions... people that have lots of military training, or a black belt, etc. etc.

That was a joke btw.

if you were unarmed? and facing a psycho with a giant blood stained knife? keep in mind he was also holding a head at one point. i'm pretty sure you don't even know yourself how you would react in that scenario.

i don't wanna necessarily say i know what you'd do... but it would take some convincing that you're different from the 99% of people who's first instinct would be to run (unless cornered in a life/death situation). again, there might be some exceptions... people that have lots of military training, or a black belt, etc. etc.

I'll admit I don't fully know what I'd do, but I'm not the type who normally runs away. I can't see this being much different.

It depends though on his size, how big his weapon is, how he's using it and what my surroundings are.

Still, that does not instantly make him insane.

Wow. Yeah... it really does.

Agreed Rock.

Then you are being shortsighted, when I gave you two (for a start) classic examples of men who were absolute butchers--and while the general opinion on the street/media was that they were "insane"...clinically..officially, they were not, hence their current status in prison. Insanity does exist in some cases, but too often, observers (and the criminals along with them) immediately use insanity as a way of not being held fully responsible for their own decisions...and I think we have seen some criminals escape their true legal fate by their defense team claiming the nut bit, and its off to a rubber room facillity instead of prison. Who knows? Li may be diagnosed as looney, but there are others who make conscious, uncluded desicions to kill that are not the end result of primitive impulses or insanity.

well there's public transportation... and then there's greyhound.

i once had the distinct displeasure of having to ride it once. and i'll put it this way- you'll never forget riding it. something happens on every trip. obviously not to this extreme (usually), but something will happen, nonetheless.

So true. I'm fairly certain Greyhound is the last, undiscovered ring of Hell.

Even if you're not sitting next to some psycho who's frantically digging in his arms to get the transponders out, you still end up next to somebody who will piss you off.

I once had an old lady reach over, pull one of my earbuds out, then exclaim in a raspy, garlic n' liquor soaked voice: "OH DON'T YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO GET OFF THIS BUS WITHOUT TALKING WITH ME, SONNY!"

I learned a lot about her son and her pets that day. And it was then that I knew without a doubt what I had long suspected: the freaks had adapted to the "music on, book out, and never, ever show interest or make eye contact" method of avoidance, and would never be stopped...

Mr. Li has only taken it to the next logical step.

not only is it not unheard of, i would've been surprised if anyone did try to take the guy.

i mean sure, it's easy to armchair quarterback this thing and be like- "oooh why didn't anyone DO anything! i would've bum rushed the mothaf-cka!"

get real.

the guy decapitated someone. so at the very least, we're looking at a psycho carrying what must've been a large knife. i mean you can't exactly decapitate someone with a swiss army knife. i'm pretty sure that anyone facing someone holding a machete in one hand, and a head in the other, soaked in blood, would either run for their life or be too shocked to do anything. this isn't exactly like united 93, where the passengers had lots of time to rationally think as a group through their actions, and knew they were (probably) gonna die anyway. in fact, most passengers probably had no idea what was going on until the man went up to the front and dropped the head. this also isn't indiana jones, where everyone has a uncanny ability to wrestle away knives from evil-doers in expert hand to hand combat.

yeah, sure... if a bunch of guys rushed the man, they probably could've taken him. the only problem is, someone has to make the first move. against a man holding a giant knife. soaked in blood and holding a head. AND- you're unarmed.

the only person that would make that first move is either a green beret or a black belt. i would've ran for my goddamn life, and i have no shame in admitting it.

I totally see what you're saying, and I don't even disagree. What I'm talking about is the point at which a group of people could have taken this guy BEFORE he had the chance to completely decapitate someone and then brandish a head. I just can't imagine why no one would try to do anything after one stab, let alone the number of stabs it would take to decapitate. There's no way that people weren't aware of what was happening until after the head was off, there had to be screaming well before then.

I'm not making any claims of bravery, and I don't fault anyone on that bus but the psycho for this guy's death, I just worry about how quickly people run away rather than take a risk to help someone. It's that Kitty Genovese idea that flips me out.

Justus, are you actually arguing that something can be done that is NOT the result of a primitive impulse?

Name. One. Thing.

What do you think we are? Even a law-book on "Absence of Evidence isn't Evidence of Absence" is just a bunch of ink and symbols describing what my cat knows (just cause you don't see it don't mean it ain't there).

We're animals, period.

Animals kill animals and eat them.

How, why, and who is simply learned.

... only because they don't have cutting tools. but chimpanzees are vary agressive and will rip apart males from enemy tribes.

The key worde being enemy. All animals, including humans, will inflict violence upon enemies when a certain line is crossed. As far as I know, the dude on the bus was no enemy to the psycho.

Every animal besides yourself is a potential competitor for food, chicks, and oxygen.

The more frightened (or disturbed) you are (for whatever reason), the more likely you are to "snap". And our culture produces an inordinate amount of fear.

Apes routinely kill competitors. It's common for apes to kill male children of other apes. Just as its common for female apes to be promiscous to deter that ("oh ****, is that mine or monkey-joe's kid? Better not kill it." - Male Ape).

It's simply a matter of fear overriding reason.

Happens all day to all kinds of people.

The Lesson: Chicks can't be trusted.

if he's psychotic/confused, EVERYONE could be the enemy. that guy was just unlucky enough to be the first one he saw when he finally snapped.

we just don't know enough about this guy's mental condition to be calling the situation.

which is why i said "i wonder why he did that" rather than OMG PSYCHO IT'S TOO DANGEROUS TO RIDE THE BUS ANY MORE EVERYONE PANIC!!1

Every animal besides yourself is a potential competitor for food, chicks, and oxygen.

The more frightened (or disturbed) you are (for whatever reason), the more likely you are to "snap". And our culture produces an inordinate amount of fear.

Apes routinely kill competitors. It's common for apes to kill male children of other apes. Just as its common for female apes to be promiscous to deter that ("oh ****, is that mine or monkey-joe's kid? Better not kill it." - Male Ape).

It's simply a matter of fear overriding reason.

Happens all day to all kinds of people.

Are you saying that the dude on the bus feared that the sleeping passenger beside him as a threat to his survival?

Are you saying that one must be either extremely fearful or suffer mental disturbance in order to kill a fellow human being?

And when you say reason, do you mean morality? Or do you feel that the 2 go hand in hand?

Are you saying that the dude on the bus feared that the sleeping passenger beside him as a threat to his survival?

I'm saying that he viewed the passenger as an 'enemy' (for whatever reason; remember the commercial for the Time Life books on the Old West and the guy, "...who was so mean, he once killed a man for snoring!"). This man was hungry and confused. Something inside him wanted to kill something and eat it, and he, out of confusion, picked the wrong animal.

Are you saying that one must be either extremely fearful or suffer mental disturbance in order to kill a fellow human being?

I'd say it's fairly unreasonable to kill your brother. I have an almost psychotic LACK of fear, and I don't feel violent towards anyone, ever. Because I have confidence in my ability to do whatever I want with or without their assistance or hinderences.

I'm saying this man lacked confidence. For whatever reason. If a teenage girl trying to "kill herself" by taking pills in her room while everyone's home is "just a cry for help", isn't this, too?

And when you say reason, do you mean morality? Or do you feel that the 2 go hand in hand?

I believe Morality is based on Reason, yes.

We don't get our morals from religion (or else Jews, Christians, and Muslims would stone homosexuals, ignore menstrating women (not the worst idea), etc). We get our morals from Reason.

I'm not making any claims of bravery, and I don't fault anyone on that bus but the psycho for this guy's death, I just worry about how quickly people run away rather than take a risk to help someone. It's that Kitty Genovese idea that flips me out.

It's a weird sort of situation in this case and it's certainly not as severe as the example you just cited. For one thing the other passengers apparently cornered the guy on the bus and then tried to hold him off with, like, planks of wood and other random stuff. So there was some sort of belated heroism or call to action or whatever.

TRUE STORY TIME! A gang fight broke out in a parking lot by the local pizza shop and my sister totally ran in there and saved the day. But then she was late coming home with the family's pizza order since she had to stay and give a statement to the police. So : a moral quandary. Was she right to save that poor kid from getting stabbed to death or was the high cost of pizza delayage too much to bear? Discuss.

Justus, are you actually arguing that something can be done that is NOT the result of a primitive impulse?

Name. One. Thing.

Again, you attempt to remove responsibility (and morality) for violent behavior by reducing it to a latent impulse of a beast. Motives and conditioning are real factors in many violent crimes without question, and when that conditioning occurs with a set of circumstances which did not exist as option or influence back in the tail-hanging days, then you must look beyond such a simple explanation of people "just" being monkeys.

For example, Manson's calculations were clearly born out of a complex society unknown to animal or early, hairy/knuckle-dragging man; his combination of sophisticated mind control (over "the Family"), the theory of using terrorism to inspire his enemies to act in the way he desired, incorporation of a kind mysticism to unnerve the establishment long disassociated with it (on a larger scale), and being perceptive enough to play all of that to fears of every side he sought to exploit is more than a simple animalistic act. Make no mistake: murder was merely the necessary vehicle used to light the fire & move the chesspieces, not the beginning and end of it all--which instantly takes his behavior and case beyond your basic animal explanation.

Man thinks. Man has options to not be forced into doing a thing for basic survival, which opens the door to awareness and responsibility for anything we choose to do. I've certainly seen enough violent men and women (personally and professionally) to know that the man is sure as Hell a creature of deliberation as well, not just some present day manifestation of Stevenson's Hyde.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.