Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Dark Knight Rises -- (Spoilers, people)

2110 replies to this topic

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
The thing is, I have nitpicks about these movies as well. I am just so elated to see Batman on the big screen in any form I just don't care. I guess for me Batman is the one thing that takes me back to my childhood more than anything else. BATMAN (1989) was the first movie I ever saw on the silver screen - at a drive in. Even watching goofy assed Batman and Robin I have fun just seeing Freeze and Ivy on screen, even if it's super campy and terrible. I still think Jim Carrey's Gorshin tribute was pretty brilliant (though I'd love to see a live action TAS Riddler - cold and calculting, ect.) and for better or worse I like what Nolan did with the franchise. I'm excited to see where it goes. Honestly, I hope it goes the intentionally campy route via a very comic book style much like The Avengers.

Torch - are you a gamer at all? Did you play Arkham Asylumn or Arkham City? If so what did you think about the way those storylines handled the characters, especially given the twist with the Joker at the end of Arkham City?
  • Ryn +1 this

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts

Ann Hathaway Talks About Catwoman Spinoff!

Read more: http://: http://cine.../#ixzz21jKXA4ov

They could probably just do a film called "Dark Knight Rises Origins: The Cat: All The Stuff We Couldn't Fit In The Movie". Same with Talia.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,949 posts
A Catwoman prequel with her as kind of a Robin Hood could work.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
You wouldn't have to worry about the absence of Batman either.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I do play the Arkham games. I love that they are full of fantastic elements but have painted that into a world that feels similar to Nolan's take. I especially love the Bat-suit design in that game. No tights, but not Iron Man-light armor either. The storylines are fun and the end of Arkham City was classic in style.

Here's a thing that gets missed when I amp up a rant, I love Elseworlds and What If? takes on characters. I look at every adaption like that. I choose to rant about silly things, sometimes because I feel it a bit but mostly because it's fun. Hairstyles etc. My consistent and honest nitpick of Nolan's films has always been only two things; the public bashing of Robin by Nolan and Bale. The insistence that this take is "so real" by well everyone and Mother Teresa.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,949 posts
I don't think they bash Robin, at least with Nolan. I think he more said that he doesn't think he could make it work. He said the same thing about Catwoman, but obviously at some point either he had an idea or his brother or Goyer that made him think "ya know that is a good idea, that can work." Which makes me think he isn't 100% set in his ways, he was open to things. His mind obviously changed about Catwoman. So I think if he had a great idea for a real Robin character he would have done it and then Bale would have trusted Nolan enough to go along with it.

But you have to realize most people don't read comics, so based on that here is where they know Robin from. Firstly the old TV show, secondly the Schumacher movies. Most people like the old show but it is incredibly campy and they associate Robin with that. MOst people don't like the Schumacher movies.

Back to my original point, I don't think Nolan was ever saying "Robin is stupid, teh comics with him are stupid." What he was saying is "I can't think of a good way to do this."

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Hmm. Fair point, Choc.

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts
That being said, I think I'm finally ready and willing for Robin in a film. I've always been a strict "loner Batman" type, even as a kid I didn't want to see Robin in Batman Forever/&Robin. I'll always prefer solo Batman but in recent years I've really started to dig the extended Bat family dynamic, thanks in part to Hush and Arkham City... and (even though I'm not too enthused by the new film) I think they captured the spirit of "Robin" a lot better than Schumacher. I know that's not saying much, but it's further proof that he doesn't at all detract from the character of Batman. [/end ramble]

Darth Kcorbe

Darth Kcorbe

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
i think the way they've handled robin works fine. i imagine he'd skip the cape and go straight to Nightwing(i keep thinking of him 'reprogramming' the glider cape to fold itself into a small backpack like the Hong Kong scene in TDK, or having Fox so so if Freeman returned, which i think would be a great way to continue the Nolanverse continuity. you could do a whole trilogy of Nightwing spinoffs, maybe have him team up with a fresh out of retirement Catwoman to stop some criminal plot, then discover Bruce's survival when it's revealed that he's been working behind the scenes as Catwoman's tech support, with occasional input from Fox(this would allow Fox to be mentioned without appearing onscreen).

Guest_bodega_*

Guest_bodega_*
  • Guests
Only with actual writers doing it so it doesn't suck

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts
heh, I'm reading 'Bruce Wayne Murderer', I didn't realize Dick Grayson became a cop in Bludhaven. Well, that's interesting.

Anyway, after watching this a second time I think I've narrowed down my major gripe with this film. Both times I've thoroughly spaced out by the time the batplane chases after the bomb, and I think it's because the stakes are just too unrealistically high. There's always a certain level of suspension of disbelief in a film, you always know the good guy will come out on top. But when the stakes are 12 million (or however many) lives, it's just too broad and unacceptable a loss to let yourself believe and thus feel tension about the outcome.
In Batman Begins we have a fear gas tearing a city apart; sure, and we actually see the results. Dark Knight; we see the Joker's reign of anarchy and manipulation of various aspects of the city structure, cool. Rachel could die and she does, cool. Will Harvey's integrity stay intact? Who knows?...tension.
Rises; we have the threat of an impending blast which is revealed far too early, so we spend the majority of the film knowing that nothing of such magnitude will occur. Which is why I think they should have disguised Bane's intentions as long as possible, revealing Talia earlier and at that time revealing that Bane has a dirty bomb. Where did it come from and why? Who cares, he's a terrorist, he has one. We don't need the extra clutter of an explanation in the first half.

Edited by Brett, 02 August 2012 - 10:09 PM.

Reply to this topic