Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green Lantern

578 replies to this topic

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

When i think of Reynolds I can't help but think that he'll make it into a comedy.

Like Amityville Horror and Fireflies In The Garden?

It's official: Variety reports the winner is...

--> Ryan Reynolds!

Warners and Campbell chose Reynolds, who vied for the superhero role along with “The Hangover” star Bradley Cooper and Jared Leto. The momentum built for Reynolds in the last week, as he was the only actor whose option was extended.

Let the complaints...BEGIN!

Is he making a career of just ruining comic book adaptations?

Blade Trinity : Sucked
Wolverine : Overwhelmingly Sucked

If Martin Campbell wasn't making this, I'd give it a pass. But I suppose I'm not totally against Ryan since he's likable enough.

He barely had any screen time in Wolverine and I would hardly blame him for Blade: Trinity. The script and Apple product placement were what turned me off.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts

Don't get me wrong, I love Green Lantern Comics. I like Ryan Reynolds comedies, but as Green Lantern? I'm not sure. What sort of film is this going to be? a comedy or serious action? When i think of Reynolds I can't help but think that he'll make it into a comedy.

Not with Martin Campbell directing. Reynolds can do serious.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I think my issue with Reynolds casting is that I wanted someone who was a no name to take the part, not someone with a track record. He's done Trinity and Wolverine and has been floated around for The Flash, a Blade spin off, and has been talking up his own Deadpool film. I really was dying for Bradley Cooper when the news hit that he was in talks.

Stormtrooper X

Stormtrooper X

Mr. X too you!

• Members
  • 1,973 posts

Don't get me wrong, I love Green Lantern Comics. I like Ryan Reynolds comedies, but as Green Lantern? I'm not sure. What sort of film is this going to be? a comedy or serious action? When i think of Reynolds I can't help but think that he'll make it into a comedy.

Not with Martin Campbell directing. Reynolds can do serious.

He was good in Definitely Maybe. I know that isn't a great film to judge on but he did a good job in it. Two Guys a girl and a pizza place and Just Friends have cemented him in my mind as a comedian only. I hope to be proven wrong.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Michael Crawford was only known for his comedic work when he took on the starring role of The Phantom of the Opera. Just because they're known for one thing doesn't mean they aren't versatile enough to move off into other genres.

Stormtrooper X

Stormtrooper X

Mr. X too you!

• Members
  • 1,973 posts
oh i know that. i'm just saying that until I see something from the film my expectations aren't that high.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

So...No Jack Black? :(

.....I assume your disappointment is a joke.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
What Ryan Reynolds might look like as Green Lantern:

Posted Image

I know it's not the best Photoshopping, but it's a rough idea of what to maybe expect.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Something just occurred to me. Jack Black would, indeed, make a great Green Lantern...he'd be the perfect G'nort! Make it happen, WB! :P

Obi_Wan_Kenobi_0

Obi_Wan_Kenobi_0

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

So...No Jack Black? :(

Found both of these at the SHH forums.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Bwahahahahaha! And, to think, something like that Jack Black scenario pictured above came really close to actually happening. Thank the Maker clearer heads prevailed. Still, though...BWAHAHAHAHA!

That Photoshopped image of Superman, Green Lantern, and Batman actually isn't half-bad. I'd lose all those unnecessary lines on the GL suit, though...and it needs to be sleeker, as it is in the comics. Go the Christopher Reeve route and use actual spandex. No plastic symbols or vinyl accessories, please. Use the damned costume from the comics. Hal Jordan has one of the best superhero costumes ever. It'd be a shame not to see it depicted properly for the movie.

Edited by Mercury, 13 July 2009 - 08:31 AM.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,485 posts
the reason no one ever actually does the spandex is that it looks really hokey and cheap on film.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Well, you can't make a superhero film without it looking somewhat hokey. Chris Reeve pulled it off...and Brandon Routh, to a certain degree...minus the cheap plastic looking "S" chest symbol, belt, and vinyl cape. I'd much rather see a spandex superhero than a plastic body armor one with needless line designs all over it. To me, that looks cheap. Not to mention Joel Schumacher-esque.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,485 posts
I totally agree with you on that. The whole post Matrix and/or post Batman look that pretty much every superhero movie follows is beyond tired. Especially in the case of heroes (Like GL) who don't NEED body armor. The problem is, especially with BLACK, is that there's no detail in spandex. When it hits film it looks flat and uninteresting. That's why both Spidey and Routherman both had detail ork done into the tights that was more the dimensional.

I'd just like to think that there are some materials out there we haven't seen exploited yet. Something that isn't spandex, and isn't rubber/leather body armor. Done right, GL could get away with a lot. The black areas are-- well black. They're going to need something with a little texture to it. The green areas should be all glowy Tron-style if you ask me.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
I hear you, man. And that's exactly what I was thinking the green parts of the costume should look like. Not just plain material, but actually as if it's constructed from the energy of the ring itself, as it is in the comics. Yeah..."glowy" is the right word. lol

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,485 posts
SPANDEX to me, just screams FAN costume, and I think it looks cheap. I just don't see a big budget movie where the lead would look like this:

Posted Image

Like I said, i agree that the sculpted muscle, jumpsuit, black rubber/latex/leather crap is way over done and tired.

But a simple, non-sculpted, thin leather would like fine i think. Like what motorcyclists wear. Something like this:
Posted Image

Reynolds is in great shape, so with a tailored outfit there's no need for the sculpted buffness.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
The only real problems with that first guy's costume is the domino mask is horrible, you can see the seams, and the chest symbol looks cheap. With a little touchup work, that costume would be acceptable for me. Again, I refer to Chris Reeve's Superman costume, which looked great on film. But I do see what you're saying. The guy dressed like John Stewart has the better look, I guess.

But yeah...a glowy costume would make this debate moot. Not to mention that it would look a whole hell of a lot cooler.

Obi_Wan_Kenobi_0

Obi_Wan_Kenobi_0

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
Here's a cool, imo, costume design. It's by jmc at the SHH forums and he used Chris Pine (Kirk) as Hal. The other one is a manip by Sam, again from the SHH forums, that uses a modified version of jmc's manip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I like that one with Kirk Pine. Well done. Tron that costume up with green glowies along the ring, GL logo and some of the other gold lines and I think that'd be a winner. But I guess the mask needs a bit of work, but otherwise... coolbeans.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
Great!

Reynolds was one of the only good parts in Wolverin's last movie. This looks good... my only concern is that he brings too much Peter Parker/Deadpool smart-assedness to the role. I mean, I don't want the movie to be humorless, but...

:eek:

EDIT: Whoa, was I late to this party: missed almost an entire page of comments!

Edited by Pong Messiah, 13 July 2009 - 03:06 PM.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Posted Image

The most realistic one yet!

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Does he need to wear a mask?

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
YES. I mean, I guess I'd learn to live with it if they decide not to give him a mask, but I would be very disappointed. The domino mask is almost as much a GL symbol as his actual insignia, as far as I'm concerned. Well...for Hal anyway. John Stewart and Guy Gardner, not so much. Kyle Rayner's mask is dumb.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
No.

He doesn't need a mask. Green Lantern can still work perfectly without a secret identity... even Hal's version. However not having a physical mask doesn't mean Hal can't have a secret identity. It'd be perfectly fine to have the mask be a glowie construct of the ring.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,485 posts
props to whomever made that manip... hope they don't mind, but i added some glow to it:

greenlantern_glow.jpg

Reply to this topic