Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green Lantern

578 replies to this topic

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Another actor who might do the role justice is Casper Van Dien. I've always said he'd make a great superhero. He could be a great Hal Jordan, I think.

Posted Image

Woll Smoth

Woll Smoth

• Banned Users
  • 503 posts
except for the bit where he cant act

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,536 posts
Is he that bad? I think he's just had a lot of rotten material/choices.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Hey, he rocked in Starship Troopers!

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
I saw the trailer for Starship Troopers III (was there even a II?) the other day and Casper Van Dien has aged quite well by the standards of real life.

However, by Hollywood standards, he looks old. So no go for that.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Are you suggesting that they'll probably end up casting someone who doesn't even look old enough to buy a six pack of beer?

....Yeah, I think so too. :(

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Sadly, that is the current trend. Why do so many young actors these days look like kids? Heck, I remember back in the day when actors in their 20s actually looked like adults. Take Christopher Reeve compared to Brandon Routh. Both were approximately the same age the first time they were cast as Superman. But Routh looked closer to Superboy. Nothing against him, mind you. Just an observation.

The Red Aaron

The Red Aaron

• Members
  • 463 posts
could it be that our generation (20 somethings) had a less stressful life then earlier generations growing up, therefore we haven't seen the effects of aging as much? I am almost 22 and told I look 18 by some.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Some news:
http://www.comicmix....-take-the-oath/

I think the concept art looks pretty cool, looks like for these drawings they took inspiration a bit more from Kyle's second costume as opposed to Hal's classic costume, which doesn't really bother me but if they actually went that route I could see it pissing off fanboys. David Boreanez in the role would suit me just fine as well.

Oh here's the link to the art:
http://www.comics2fi...a=story&b=35395

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Yeah, I saw that concept art a few days ago and was kind of put off by the changing of the symbol. That's Kyle's symbol, not Hal's. Dare I say Hal's symbol is more recognizable. Kind of like Superman or Batman's symbol. Why change it? Also, I don't see why they had to change the costume at all. It's perfect the way it is. Probably one of the best.

All that being said, it's still not that bad, considering how bad Hollywood tends to translate superhero costumes to the big screen. At least he still has the domino mask! Change the symbol to Hal's and I really have no complaints. Looks like they're on the right track, though. Can't wait!

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
They made a new symbol for Batman Begins... I think they're just trying to make it more "hip" for the newer generation.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Well, I wouldn't call the symbol from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight new, since it still pretty much closely resembles his symbol from the comics these days. It's not drastically that different. However, that is clearly Kyle Rayner's symbol in those concept renderings. I think that is a disservice to both Hal and Kyle....maybe evern moreso to Kyle, since this isn't even his version of GL.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Comingsoon:

Almost a year ago it was announced that Greg Berlanti was set to direct the live-action take on DC Comics' Green Lantern, which he would write with Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green.

Now, Guggenheim has given ComicCon.com an update:

"I've been working my ass off on Green Lantern," he said, then laughed. "I'm ready for a weekend off. I really can't say too much about it. I've sworn a blood oath of secrecy. I will tell you it features Hal Jordan and is an incredibly faithful rendition of the character. It honors everything everyone loves about the hero. We approach it from a fan's perspective. Every step of the way, we ask ourselves what we want to see and what the fans will want to see. I think we have a script that will actually satisfy on those levels. Right now I'm just doing a rewrite for the studio with Greg [Berlanti] and Michael [Green]. We'll turn that in next week. We just keep moving forward. It's really good stuff!"

Green Lantern was created in 1940. Hal Jordan, a second-generation test pilot, is an ordinary man who has been charged with defending a sector of the universe.

Not much news on the plot, but hopefully he's telling the truth about the faithful rendition.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Ryan Gosling has passed (God I need to get my ass to film school, make a huge impression, and direct him in a Walt Disney biopic).

Emile Hirsch has passed.

Sam Worthington has passed (I know he's going to be in Terminator and Avatar but besides that, what has he really done?)

And now Anton Yelchin is in talks for the role. Um, he's too scrawny. I don't see it. Call me crazy as this really is no name territory but I think Sam Witwer has the chops to make it big.

At least they got Martin Campbell to direct. He's a competent director to get this off the ground. *pun not intended* :P

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
No way is that Anton Yelchin guy Green Lantern. As Wally said, he's too scrawny and frail-looking. It needs to be someone more square-jawed and all-American. If they insist on casting someone young, it should be someone like Scott Porter, who has already expressed interest in the role.

Posted Image

Justus

Justus

• 13,054 posts

No way is that Anton Yelchin guy Green Lantern.

...not unless they want a complete failure of casting.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I could see him as Flash but that's a stretch and more along the lines of Smallville casting. Just seems to me that this is mostly fan speculation based partially off of the Justice League failure.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Gotta go with David Boreanez.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
^SECONDED!

Booth really wants to be GL too. He'd be a great Hal Jordon. He's old enough to have been believable as a career military jet pilot and test pilot etc but young enough to appease the studio suits that believe audiences don't pay to see actors that are over 35 years old. lol

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts

Gotta go with David Boreanez.

i hope not

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,344 posts
I don't get why so many action heroes look like kids.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I still say Sam Witwer for the roll. He's still relatively unknown but has been in some pretty choice projects and I think he's got enough talents to pull the role off and make it a launching pad for his career.

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Witwer's ok but i don't think he's right for the role

Robert Downey Jr. should play every character in every movie, there i said it

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I'd be alright with David Boreanaz. And while I'm not one of those fanboys who want Nathan Fillion to play every superhero role in existence from Captain America to Wonder Woman, in this case he would make a pretty kickass Hal Jordan.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
David Boreanaz would be okay, I guess. A little too rough-around-the-edges for Hal, but I could see it working...especially since he voiced him in Justice League: New Frontier. I do think they're going for someone younger, though.

By the way, I don't want Nathan Fillion playing every superhero role in existence. Just Hal Jordan.

Reply to this topic