Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green Lantern

578 replies to this topic

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,400 posts
There've been rumors for YEARS-- the last of which was a high profile comedy-take starring Jack Black. Rumors of a Lantern in the now (thankfully) aborted JLA film had all of us arguing over WHICH Lantern it should even be.

Finally there is some official word. The script is being written by Marc Guggenhiem, who is experienced in comics (Wolverine, Amazing Spider-Man, The Flash) as well as TV, (he's one of the execs/writers for the show Eli Stone). The film will be directed by Marc's co-exec producer on Eli, Greg Berlanti.

Newsarama has an interview with Guggenhiem, where he had this to say about the GL film:

NRAMA: Can you tell us why you think the reaction will be positive?

MG: Because, it's not only a respectful approach to the character, but it's a loving approach to the entire mythos. So while there is this desire to be quiet and secretive and let the movie speak for itself, it's hard for me, because I feel like I know -- as a comic book fan -- I know what I want to see in a comic book movie. And I know... look, I'm like everybody else. I vividly remember Tim Burton's Batman movie. If you look back, there's Superman: The Movie and the first Batman movie, and those two movies are the first big budget, superhero tent-pole movies.

And you kind of hold your breath because we've all seen the disastrous effect that the Batman TV series had on the respectability of comic books. So I actually feel like comic book movies need to be better than your average movie. I think it's wonderful that we're living in a time and I'm working at a time when comic books have really gained that respectability, but I don't take it for granted. I don't want us to lose mainstream respectability. I think comic books have come an incredibly far way and I want to make sure we don't take a step back. I certainly don't want my name on a movie that would take it back.

I think Green Lantern has the potential to be a very highly regarded superhero movie. We're approaching it with such respect and such care. And really, it's written to be a movie that everyone who's not familiar with the character can enjoy, but there are so many nods to things that I know the fans love and care about that I think people will be very happy.

NRAMA: You said it's the whole mythos. Can you tell us what characters might be included in that? We've been told it's about Hal Jordan.

MG: I can confirm that it's Hal Jordan, but I can't really talk about anything else. I really wish I could, because there's lots of stuff I want to brag about.

Green Lantern is a great, great character, and Greg and I are always talking at every step of the process about what makes Green Lantern great. We want to be focused on that. We always start all our meetings and story discussions and all of our scene discussions with, OK, what's cool about Green Lantern? Why Green Lantern? And we always come from that place, which is an incredibly useful thing to do because you don't want Green Lantern to be a generic superhero movie. You want it to be all the things you expect when you buy a $10 ticket that says Green Lantern on it.

Guest_The_return_of_thanos_*

Guest_The_return_of_thanos_*
  • Guests
I really don't care if it is Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner, as long as they do it right and take it seriously, I am for it. Oh, and as long as it doesn't have Jack Black, either. That was a really bad idea, if that rumor was actually true :P

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
That's a good -- and reassuring -- read.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Yeah, I'm fine with whoever, though I really had little doubt they would end up choosing Hal. People can hate on him all they want but he's without a doubt the most symbolic character to ever bear the name. He always was the obvious choice. I hope this is well made, I think a GL flick can not only have a very interesting story, but I think it can also look fantastic if effects are managed well.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
I know it's not the first franchise most would think of when considering this setting, but I'd personally really like to see it occur within the early 60's. I thought the sort of mini-origin story that the New Frontier cartoon gave him was one of the best uses of the character on screen.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,400 posts
Yeah I hope they go somewhere interesting with it like that. I think at this point that would helpset it apart. A 60's setting would be cool-- or even a stylized timeless setting like Burton's Batman (though favoring the 60s as opposed to 30's). The Incredibles pulled that off expertly.

I'd even be cool if they went sci-fi and set in in space.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
Hal? Don't they want the movie to be entertaining?

D4rkside

D4rkside

• Members
  • 332 posts
**** I hope they do Hal Jordan. Not a Rayner fan. Not at all ;)

As for the script, I like Guggenhiem. His run on Wolverine during the Civil War stuff was really good...I haven't been enjoying his Spider-Man stuff but I've been totally hating on the whole Brand New Day since it started, so...

I think he's a good choice for writer, though. Experienced in comics and obviously has a respect for the source material that unfortunately a lot of screen writers apparently lack.

Very excited for this.

Justus

Justus

• 13,058 posts

I know it's not the first franchise most would think of when considering this setting, but I'd personally really like to see it occur within the early 60's. I thought the sort of mini-origin story that the New Frontier cartoon gave him was one of the best uses of the character on screen.

GREAT idea, D-Ray! The Jordan GL--specifically his early worldview, was SO shaped by that era, that his shock into personal evolution (the Adams/O'Neil period) opens the door for realistic character development all too rare in superhero movies.

Justus

Justus

• 13,058 posts

I really don't care if it is Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner

Kyle Rayner. No, no and....no. I could not stand one moment of that character...ever.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts

.. opens the door for realistic character development all too rare in superhero movies.

Yeah exactly. The first time I saw New Frontier, I thought the introduction to Hal was shockingly dark. But by the end of the movie, it totally made sense and worked perfectly.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Yeah, I'm fine with whoever, though I really had little doubt they would end up choosing Hal. People can hate on him all they want but he's without a doubt the most symbolic character to ever bear the name.

How do you mean? I'm not so familiar with GL so I'm interested in learning more.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,400 posts

Yeah, I'm fine with whoever, though I really had little doubt they would end up choosing Hal. People can hate on him all they want but he's without a doubt the most symbolic character to ever bear the name.

How do you mean? I'm not so familiar with GL so I'm interested in learning more.

There's literally thousands of Green Lanterns-- they are kind of like Jedi in the DC Universe. A space-bourne peacekeeping force spread out over the galaxy. The Green Lantern assigned to Earth is seen by the people as a superhero. There have been several Green Lanterns on Earth, each of them being the titular Green Lantern that the comic is named after.

They include:

1. Alan Scott, the original Golden Age Green Lantern, who didn't actually have ties to the spacey GL Corps, but is still considered a big time golden age character.

2. Hal Jordon, the silver age Green Lantern, who was the longest-running, best known Green Lantern that pretty much defined the mythos as they exist today. Even though he's not the original, he's considered to be the most famous and well-known. Unless you're Dom.

Hal came and went over the years; retirement, death, rebirth-- the usual comic stuff. When he was out, there were others who took his place:

3. Guy Gardener was introduced in the 60's as a "back-up" Green Lantern for Hal Jordon, and got the spotlight a few times. In later years he was turned into a punk-ass for comic relief, and often found himself getting upstaged by Batman.

4. John Stewart was introduced in the 70's as a second back up, and had a minor cult following for a few years. He's returned to popularity in the comics after he was used as Green lantern in Bruce Timm's Justice League cartoon.

5. Kyle Rayner is probably the second best known Lantern after Hal. In the 90's, everything in comics was getting majorly overhauled (Superman died, Batman had his back broken, etc). Unlike the other revisions though, Kyle was a hit. He was young, and cool and was the kind of different DC was looking for. He was Green Lantern for quite some time, until it was decided to bring Hal back.

These days, all five of them are around in one way or another, spread out over three Green Lantern comics, and special miniseries. In addition to them, there is the Green Lantern Corps, which have made semi-regulars out of various aliens and supporting characters, all of whom are technically Green Lanterns.

Every time there is mention of a Green Lantern film there is debate over who it would be, with Hal, Kyle and John being the likely candidates.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
I've been wanting someone to do a Green Lantern film for a while, so I'm pleased to see that someone is finally going forward with it.

Now if we can just get a Wonder Woman movie going, I'll be even happier.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Maybe they all could have seperate "origin" movies and then get together for a Justice League flick?

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

Hal Jordon, the silver age Green Lantern, who was the longest-running, best known Green Lantern that pretty much defined the mythos as they exist today. Even though he's not the original, he's considered to be the most famous and well-known. Unless you're Dom.

I agree he's the most well-known. His problem is he's also the one with the least interesting personality.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Since Rebirth I think he's been quite interesting. Amazing what a good retcon, and punching Batman in his irritating face (sorry, he was in that mini), will do for a guy.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
Until he was (unfortunately) miscast in the upcoming Hulk relaunch, I always pictured Ed Norton as an ideal Hal Jordan...

Oh well.

Liev Schreiber?

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Eric Dane?

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Joaquin Phoenix.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Hal has always been the ONLY Green Lantern of Sector 2814, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I think he's always been the MOST interesting...especially with all the great stuff Geoff Johns has done with him. I like Alan, Guy, John, and Kyle alright, but Hal Jordan is THE Green Lantern in my mind. It only makes sense they use him first for the movie. The others can follow later, as they should.

Now, who should portray Hal, you ask? Well, I have my own idea of what a real-life Hal Jordan should look and act like. Certainly, none of the actors mentioned above fit that idea. First of all, the actor should not be a young'un. Hal is a man's man. Neither a punk or a brooding whiner. Robert Downey, Jr.'s Tony Stark proved that an older actor can be viable in these types of roles.

That being said, Nathan Fillion (Mal Reynolds from Firefly and Serenity) would be the PERFECT Hal Jordan. Heck, I've always said that his portrayal of Mal was just the way Hal Jordan should be. Who's with me?

C'mon...you know he'd own the role.

Posted Image

Edited by Mercury, 19 June 2008 - 03:55 AM.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Nathan Fillion (Mal Reynolds from Firefly and Serenity) would be the PERFECT Hal Jordan.

Stole the words right out of my mouth...

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
I think he'd be good for that part, too. Hopefully he'd be more Mal than Hal.

Justus

Justus

• 13,058 posts

That being said, Nathan Fillion (Mal Reynolds from Firefly and Serenity) would be the PERFECT Hal Jordan. Heck, I've always said that his portrayal of Mal was just the way Hal Jordan should be. Who's with me?

C'mon...you know he'd own the role.

He's probably too old. A few years ago? Perhaps, but GL's origin also shines a light on how a younger person (but beyond college age) would deal with a responsibility of (literally) galactic proportions.

Tony Stark was created as a slightly older man.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,400 posts
Harrison ford in the 80's would have been the perfect Hal-- but I think Nathan Fillion would be great as well.

Reply to this topic