Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Crisis

183 replies to this topic

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I'm already loving Super Young Team. I guess people are down on them being so stereotypical, but there's a charm about them and I really hope they stick around beyond FC. Since they foreshadowed Sonny Sumo recruiting them for this new mission Mister Miracle has given him, I'm guessing they're going to add a bit of a comic relief element to an otherwise very dark series, while of course being actually heroic in the process. Or hell Sonny and them might be thrown in the thick of things with the known heroes already being taken down systematically or preoccupied (J'onn, John, Hal, Batman, Superman...maybe Wally if he and Jay end up joining up with Barry, and with the reveals in this issue the cover for issue 3 now makes it look like Wonder Woman gets infected with Morticoccus).

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Yeah, they're cool. Morrison's stuff doesn't usually last in the mainstream DCU (has anyone done anything with his Seven Soldiers work?) but I'm hoping they'll stick around for a little longer than just this series.

At the very least we all deserve a Most Excellent Superbat one-shot.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
#2 was far more interesting than the first. I was a bit worried at first during all that confusing stuff in the bar, which I'd be happy to have explained to me. But the last two thirds of this issue got really dark, really fast. Which I think works really well. I can't wait to see how the time travel stuff will work out on down the line.

Secret Invasion is still the better "blockbuster" series for me, but FC is really starting to catch up now.

Epimetheus00

Epimetheus00

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY

• Members
  • 470 posts
I got an itchy feeling when I started rehashing the events of issue 1 & 2. Anyone else get it? This is what I get when I hear the dying Orion and the reborn Mister Miracle say " There was a battle and Evil won. " I mean it seems that Evil has already won doesn't it and maybe Final Crisis is some giant new series recreating the similiar effects of Millinium but in a more long drawn out format minus the Manhunters?. I mean if Evil already won then what are we reading? The after splash I guess. Anyone else get this feeling?

Epimetheus00

Epimetheus00

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY

• Members
  • 470 posts
Anyone pick up Final Crisis: Requiem? It went into a lot more detail than Crisis #1 did with the process of J'onn's death. He actually did put up a pretty cool fight. I have a few theories about why they killed him and when and how they will bring him back.

I think they wanted to segregate the Superman-type powered folk and J'onn was one of the problems. They wanted to get rid of the Martian Vision, Superman-Strength and Invulnerability, and possibly the Flight that made him so much like Superman and Shazam. In WWIII with Black Adam... I mean J'onn really should have been able to take Adam out on his own but they had to side rail J'onn in a pretty lame way. He really isn't a secondary character like they make him out to be.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Final Crisis: Requiem!

Epimetheus00

Epimetheus00

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY

• Members
  • 470 posts
I just finished Rogue's Revenge and I guess because I didn't get to see Bart Allen die that it isn't as great as it should be. I do have a Question though if someone can answer it and I'll add it to a spoiler in case someone has picked up this issue and hasn't read it yet:

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
Why can't the Rogues whom I thought have been trying to kill Flash all these years... feel remorse and bad now that they have and say " We weren't suppose to kill a Flash? I don't get it!

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Final Crisis: Requiem!

It was a beautiful eulogy for a great character. He will be missed, though I think it was damn clever of Morrison to have Superman say "Pray for a ressurrection."

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Final Crisis #4 solicitation:

Humanity enslaved! Time shattered and bleeding! Anti-Life triumphant! Can Earth's demoralized, beaten heroes rally their scattered forces for the ultimate super-battle against the nightmare armies of Apokolips when the forces of good meet the forces of evil on the bridge to Blüdhaven? As Darkseid's presence causes reality itself to sicken and the lights to go out across the universe, as even the Guardians fall, the true power of the evil gods finally reveals itself, and a major character returns for a shocking conclusion.
Does the secret of humankind’s salvation lie in a mysterious cave painting and a bolt of lightning? Or has the Last Day come for us all?

So who's this true power they're talking about? Right now my best guess is Solomon. And what major character is returning? Can't be Barry as he's made his return already. Bart?

Epimetheus00

Epimetheus00

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY

• Members
  • 470 posts
probably Triumph :D

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Could be Bart. Maybe Conner. Hell...Morrison could throw us a curve ball and even have J'onn come back. I'd love it if it were any one of them.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
New interview from Grant Morrison

Lots of interesting stuff there. Really looking forward to the Superman Beyond one-shot.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
I just reread DC Universe 0 and both issues of Final Crisis yesterday, and I've got to say... things are making much more sense now, especially since I've also read the whole of Seven Soldiers of Victory. I think, in two issues, this has established more, and set up many more tantalizing ideas and questions than Secret Invasion has done in four.

Lots of interesting stuff there. Really looking forward to the Superman Beyond one-shot.

I think it's a two-part mini, actually.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
They weren't kidding when they said things were gonna be dark. That's all this friggin book is but I'm loving it now. Here's a summary...kinda long though:
S.H.A.D.E operatives storm the now abandoned Dark Side Club to find The Question already there and the mumified corpse of Boss Dark Side, Darkseid's former human shell. They try to question Renee but she escapes after leaving a few clues for them, amongst them telling them to look into what happened to Dan Turpin. Above Boss Dark Side's corpse, on the wall writing begins to appear that says "Know Evil."

Back to Renee, she comes upon a group of people surrounded by a crater in the road, with someone asking to call "her" an ambulance. Renee gets through the crowd to see a badly injured and burned blond woman. Obviously from another of the 52, she appears to be in a Supergirl-like costume, only white and black with a lightning type symbol in the shield. She also sports a swastika armband. Renee tries to comfort her and the girl speaks to Renee, but its in german. Before anything more can be said however Renee is finally apprehended by SHADE.

Meanwhile Nix Uotan is fired from his job at the fast food joint for scaring customers with his strange stories, including questions of whether or not others can feel "graviton impacts increasing". As Nix is walking home he passes an appliance store where on the tv is a news broadcast of some very old wall carvings being found in a New York subway station. Its the symbol of Metron, most likely the same one we saw Anthro draw in the past back in FC #1. As Nix is watching from the window, we see someone watching him in the shadows from behind. Her sillouette looks very similar to one of the female Monitors.

Back at what I think is Wally's house, Jay is accounting to Iris and the rest of the family what occurred in FC #2 and after. He recounts the window opening up in time, the bullet being fired, and a voice telling he and Wally to run. He recalls three generations of the Flash running together backwards through time after the bullet with Death on their heels. We see in a flashback Barry coming very close to grabbing the bullet, but he's not in time and Orion is struck. Iris then questions Jay on what he meant by "three generations", he, Wally, and who else? Jay confirms that it was indeed Barry Allen. Iris tearfully talks about how she never believed her Barry could be outsmarted, but she asks Jay if he's sure it wasn't an alternate Barry or one from the past, to which Jay tells her confidently that who he saw was a present, alive Barry Allen. We also find out that to escape Death Wally and Barry hit the speed of light on their return, but Jay could not keep up with them and stopped when he arrived in the present day that evening.

Cut to some jungle base where Libra is presenting Human Flame with some new armor as thanks for his loyalty. Flame notes that there seems to be a voice coming from the new helmet, at which time Libra forces it upon his head and demands he hears the Anti-Life Equation. At that time Lex arrives, now taking Libra seriously after Superman has failed to answer any emergency calls in 18 hours. Libra says Lex owes him, but Lex asserts that he only realizes Libra is a threat he has to neutralize. At this threat however an enslaved Human Flame and one other wearing the same helmet pull their weapons on Luthor and his two guards, and Libra explains to Luthor that in 24 hours, the ability to make decisions will be removed from every human being on the planet, and Libra offers Lex a choice. Become a mindless slave like the Human Flame, or pledge himself to the Master of All Evil.

Meanwhile at Metropolis Memorial, Clark and Jimmy are at Lois's bedside, who is in extremely bad shape. She is in a nearly full body cast and Jimmy remarks that at least Superman was able to remove the shrapnel from her heart. From Jimmy we also learn that Perry is on life support as well, and Dirk Armstrong lost a leg. Clark laments that he could've done more, but Jimmy tries to comfort him, telling him he needs some alone time with his wife. Jimmy leaves to try and track down Superman. Once alone Clark reveals that he's the only thing keeping Lois alive via his heat vision. He tells her he'd do anything to take away her pain, at which time he's confronted by someone. Clark turns to see the female Monitor we saw earlier in the doorway. She calls him Clark Kent but also reveals she knows he is Superman. She reveals she knows everything about him, and that there is one chance to save Lois, but that they must leave this world now before its too late.

At JLA headquarters, Hal Jordan is being taken in shackles by the Alpha Lanterns to Oa where he is to stand trial for the murder of Orion and attempted murder of John Stewart. Wonder Woman, Alan Scott, and Black Lightning are there as well, and a defiant Diana continues to plead Hal's case, she knows the Evil Gods are behind this. Kraken/Granny Goodness scoffs at the notion. Hal, who has agreed to go quietly, is pleaded by Diana to defend himself, but Hal says for some reason he can't remember where he was when Orion was killed nor when John was attacked. He says he has no argument, but assures Diana that he will be fine once he talks to the Guardians. Before they leave, he also tells Wonder Woman not to worry about Earth, that only Lanterns are being allowed on or off Earth for the time being.

After Hal and the Alphas are gone, Alan and Diana discuss the possibility of the Evil Gods being involved. Diana is completely convinced, and Alan admits the events are suspicious, but they don't have enough evidence to convince any meta-military agencies to get involved, and that they're occupied with the problems in Bludhaven anyhow. Alan also points out that in the past, the New Gods were always there to help when the Evil Gods stirred up trouble. If the Evil Gods are up to something now, Earth is on its own and at a terrible disadvantage. They'd need to build an army. Scott then suggest something done in the past during WWII to quickly assemble superheroes. Article X, a superhero draft.

In the next panels we see such an army being quickly set up. Alan puts Oracle in charge of all communications at the Hall of Justice. Among those shown answering the call to arms is the new Aquaman, Freddie Freeman, Supergirl, Black Canary, Green Arrow, and many more who Alan later greets

In Japan, Sonny Sumo is accompanying Shilo Norman to his jet. Sonny is beginning to believe Shilo's story, but doesn't quite believe that an escape artist and a sumo wrestler are the one's who are supposed to do anything about it. Shilo says they don't have a choice, no one does anymore. Suddenly troops arrive, all wearing the same helmet the likes that infected Human Flame, and blow up the jet with a bazooka. Shilo and Sonny hide behind some of the wreckage, and make their way out to fight, when rescue comes for them in the form of Super Young Team in their Wonder Wagon. Shilo and Sonny hop aboard and the group takes off with troops on their heels. The car then escapes when it takes flight into the air.

On the edge of Bludhaven Wonder Woman and a small group of Atomic Knights are getting ready to enter the city. As they travel Diana gets a rundown about Command-D, but the talks are halted when they come upon three corpses, confirmed to be SHADE operatives. All three turn out to be the same guy, Replika. In the distance a woman flies nearer. She's dressed in a black and red get-up with a shaved head minus pinkish pigtails. The girl takes credit for the deaths and Diana is shocked to see that its Mary Marvel. Mary notes her altered appearance being due to being experimented on at Command-D. Mary attacks, quickly taking out one of the Knights accompanying Wonder Woman before Diana is able to subdue her. The remaining Knights wants to off Mary but Diana stops him, noting shes' not a killer and that his weapons can't hurt her anyway. Wonder Woman asks what's happned to her, where Mary says she's works for Darkseid now, and that theGods have been inhabiting human bodies all this time, and that the Anti-Life Equation is set to go global in five minutes. Mary tells Wonder Woman not to worry however, that she'll soon be working for Darkseid too. She says they needed a disease carrier, and that they chose Wonder Woman. Mary reveals a broken vial in her hand with the Omega symbol on it, and Wonder Woman screams as the particles surround her hand.

One of the Gods, in a new body, is then seen in the next panel pressing a button on a keyboard, saying he's ending the world in Darkseid's name. Mister Terrific then contacts Oracle wanting her to check something but Oracle says she's already on it, that something strange is happening. She tells him that someone in Bludhaven just sent an email out to every single address on the planet. She realizes then that the mail is opening itself upon delivery. She tells Miracle to alert everyone else while she tries to shut down the entire net. She's too late however, and the Anti-Life Equation is released to the world.

The panels then fire up again in yellow light as Barry Allen and Wally West stop running. Finally able to speak, Wally asks if its really Barry, and tells him they're a few weeks into the future. Their surroundings look entirely bleak. The sky is red and lightning strikes and the streets are devoid of life. Barry is on his knees, looking defeated. Finally speaking he notes how he couldn't stop the bullet and save Orion. He says that he was dead, and asks why then did he have to come back? He asks Wally what they have done to the world when someone is seen approaching behind them. The final panel shows it to be four women on the backs of demented versions of the large dogs the Atomic Knights rode. Batwoman, Giganta, Catwoman, and Wonder Woman, deformed with the face of a boar, either infected with Morticoccus or experimented on in Command-D (I'm assuming the former or both), who only says two words. "Superheroes. Kill."

Two things I want to see:
In the panel showing Supergirl leaving her apartment in response to Article X, we see a few sketches of her in her costume, maybe a sign she's getting an upgrade soon. At the very least I'd like to see her wearing the headband again like the Silver Age Kara, sometime before her big fight with Mary.

Also, I'd like to see Superman not appear again till issue 6 or 7, and show up making the big save for someone. I think it'd be kinda cool if its Kara, actually. Have her kick a lot of ass but maybe get overwhelmed by maybe Darkseid himself, and in an opposite of the original Crisis, Superman saves her life rather her dying saving his. I also think it'd be pretty sweet if, maybe only temporarily, Superman returns with Silver Age-like power levels and kills Darkseid himself.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Great new issue.

Some thoughts and comments:

- If I had to guess, I'd say S.H.A.D.E.'s plans for Montoya in their "global law enforcement" are the start of the GPA from Kirby's OMAC. Actually, now that I think about it, it's far more likely that Taleb (who is he?) is talking about the Furies on the last page.

- At a glance, Nazi Supergirl is saying " I am.... I am.... Uberfraulein! The heavens are bloody. The hell is here." I'm almost certainly getting this translation wrong. Also, in case you forgot, the fallen Monitor was drawing her and the alternate Nazi Superman (alongside a Doctor Manhattan/Captain Atom hybrid character) in a panel from last issue.

- "Lois, dear Lois. I'd do anything to take your pain away." Uh oh. Wolverine said just about the same words right before he gutted Jean Grey. That was in the next-to-last storyarc from Morrison's X-Men.

- I don't think that's Giganta on the last page. Doesn't seem to fit.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Yeah I think I was wrong on that last one too.

I also think its interesting how this Monitor watching over Nix and then grabbing Superman has a design kinda similar with Byrne's Kryptonians. Could just be a visual homage and nothing more but who knows if there's not more to it now. Maybe we'll find out in Superman Beyond.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
I think it's just that both are costumed in a way which communicates austerity and remoteness. Whatever it was that Byrne was riffing off of in those original designs is probably the same source for the Monitors' new clothes.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
You're probably right. Its probably reading too much to expect a deeper connection, nonetheless I like the look, reminds me a bit of old...post Crisis, haha.

I'm still in love with Super Young Team. I love that they showed up just in time to make the save only because they were still following Sonny around for his autograph. :lol:

As far as Earth 10 Supergirl, I'm pretty sure the first part is "I am Supergirl", then in response to Renee telling her it'll be alright, "No. The sky is bleeding. Hell is here." (I'm guessing h^lle = hölle) I'm thinking she's talking literally here, not just noting that the sky is red but that the walls between the universes are breaking and the Bleed is seeping through. I'm also going on a limb and saying that this was Morrison giving us our first on-panel clue about the threat behind Darkseid. And Six is going to want to strangle me for even mentioning it, but I'm starting to think its Monarch.

Epimetheus00

Epimetheus00

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY

• Members
  • 470 posts
#3 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the next issue.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

I think there's room for three Flashes in the DC Universe. There are multiple Green Lanterns. Why not multiple Flashes?

Like I said in another thread... I'd be thrilled if The Flash became a sort of JSA-esque title focusing just on the speedsters of the DCU, specifically those operating under the time-honored "Flash" codename.

The Young Super Team is fantastic.

I mean if Evil already won then what are we reading? The after splash I guess. Anyone else get this feeling?

Not really. I figured we find out that evil has won on the final page of issue 3, since Barry and Wally both ran forward in time. Now, we've got four issues to see two timelines: Barry and Wally dealing with a post-evil world, and Jay and the new All-Star Squadron working against Libra's forces in the pre-evil world.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,745 posts

As far as Earth 10 Supergirl, I'm pretty sure the first part is "I am Supergirl", then in response to Renee telling her it'll be alright, "No. The sky is bleeding. Hell is here." (I'm guessing h^lle = hölle)

"Hölle" would make more sense, yeah -- I've never seen a '^' used in the German language. I'm guessing someone's word processing program had an ASCII recognition problem somewhere.

And Six is going to want to strangle me for even mentioning it, but I'm starting to think its Monarch.

You're doing that on purpose. :angry:

Now, we've got four issues to see two timelines: Barry and Wally dealing with a post-evil world, and Jay and the new All-Star Squadron working against Libra's forces in the pre-evil world.

I'll be surprised if Morrison bothers to go back and pick up on the pre-evil world at all.

The Young Super Team is fantastic.

So far they're my favorite part of the series.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Atomic Lantern Boy is my favorite.

"We waited and waited days for your autograph, Super Sumo-san! Finally we could wait no more! Jump aboard!"

Epimetheus00

Epimetheus00

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY

• Members
  • 470 posts
Do any of those guys in the Super Young Team actually have any powers? Cause this is the first time I have ever seen them. I can see they are of course a conglomeration of American heroes so I got to ask.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Do any of those guys in the Super Young Team actually have any powers? Cause this is the first time I have ever seen them. I can see they are of course a conglomeration of American heroes so I got to ask.

Morrison said something about readers having yet to learn the true powers of Amazing Super Bat.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,745 posts
Maybe they're like Morrison's revamp of the Forever People...

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
I think that's exactly what they're supposed to be. Or maybe they're the modern-day equivalent of all those human guys who hung around Orion in his first series.

Clarification : I don't think they're the Forever People in the same sense that Turpin is now Darkseid or that Green Lantern girl is Granny Goodness. They're not literal reincarnations or manifestations of those characters in earthly form. Just that they fulfill the same role in the story.

Edited by R.CAllen, 13 August 2008 - 10:48 PM.

Reply to this topic