Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Crisis

183 replies to this topic

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Entertainment Weekly supplied a preview of the opening pages of Final Crisis #1, which goes on sale later this month.

http://www.ew.com/ew...0198161,00.html

I think the art is great, and just from what little I can read the whole campy feel that Countdown had as it went on is thankfully, completely absent here. Huzzah for red skies!

And as long as a code 1011 isn't a gigantic Darkseid battling a Turtle Jimmy, I'm good. :)

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Spoiler! --Click here to view--
Six missing kids?

I'm really hoping the above is some sort of Seven Soldiers reference.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,745 posts
Looks pretty.

The script calls for Montoya to be drawn sans face, but she looks totally faced to me. Someone might wanna make use of that "editor" title and pull rank.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Anyone else pick up the sketchbook? Loved the New Gods reworkings (most of which can be seen at Newsarama) but I don't really get the Japanese superheroes. Is it parody? Irony? So cutting-edge I can't wrap my brain around it? Sue me if I'm wrong but they seem even more lightweight than that Big Ten superteam from last year's 52.

</molehill> <mountain> This is clear evidence the series will suck! </mountain>

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
I checked out the sketchbook - it was pretty neat to see the Ultraman inspired character Ultimon. But like you said R.CAllen the others almost seem like parodies of either general character types in manga/anime or specifically referencing an anime somehow [except maybe the girl in the mecha] - I can't exactly put a finger on it. Your "So cutting-edge I can't wrap my brain around it?" question/comment fits the others rather well.

Instead of all the parody-?-type characters it would've been nice to see a character inspired by Kamen Rider and maybe even a team inspired by Super Sentai..

Edited by The Shadow, 16 May 2008 - 02:40 PM.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Exactly, The Shadow.

Still .... I kinda like the idea of creating foreign superteams left'n'right. I mean, all he's really doing is just homaging established properties or well-known cultural stereotypes from each country while simultaneously mashing that up with DCU tropes.

How tough could that be? I bet anyone of us could do that in our sleep.

Armada

Quixotic Beauty & Squire Girl
Dial-M-for-Moor
Great Inquisitor of Holy Mother Church
Mad Monk & Matador
Our Lady of Begoña

The World Is Ours!

Teutonic
Kid Pfefferminz
Uther the Multi-Alien
Great Kaiser's Ghost
Professor Nacht
Strange Visitor From Another Hamlet
Ilsa She-Wolf und Kleiner Maidel

The Best Of The Best

Idéfix the Indomitable
Ancient Regiment
Bastille Day, Escape Artist Extraordinaire
The Sun King
Marquisard
La Chose de Marais
Great Ghost of Gaul

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
So I'm guessing that the New Gods are basically going to be reborn into the Fifth World or something like that? With the exception of Mister Miracle, who's definitely not Scott Free in the drawings, are the other Gods going to be themselves as they once were, just with new looks?

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts

Anyone else pick up the sketchbook?

Not me.

Anyone else grumpily skip the $2.99 sketchbook on the basis that Marvel's major-summer-crossover-preview sketchbooks are usually free giveaways? Or reduced-price specials, at least?

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Anyone else pick up the sketchbook?

Not me.

Anyone else grumpily skip the $2.99 sketchbook on the basis that Marvel's major-summer-crossover-preview sketchbooks are usually free giveaways? Or reduced-price specials, at least?

[looks around; raises hand]

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
That was neat.

One little thing that struck me as brilliant : the cell phone brand is called DAMRUNG. Hahahaha. Other things that struck me as brilliant : the casual use of the LaGrange Point, Batman saying "New universe, same old dumb", Libra effortlessly pwning the big name villains Morrison has used in prior epics, "Here is knowledge", seeing what was probably the first act of superheroism on planet Earth, the whole sequence in Monitor Heaven, every line out of Dark Side's mouth, and the sheer sense of doom which pervades the whole issue.

A lot of the little things which I completely missed (is that kid Anthro or Aurakles? Both? what did Martian Manhunter say?) are probably gonna be covered in the Douglas Wolk annotations.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts

the cell phone brand is called DAMRUNG. Hahahaha.

Heh. I missed that the first time. Now I get it. :thumbsup: Only seventeen other riddles, enigmas, and obscurities from this issue left to be explained to me...and then maybe I'll stop being irritated by it.

A lot of the little things which I completely missed (is that kid Anthro or Aurakles? Both? what did Martian Manhunter say?) are probably gonna be covered in the Douglas Wolk annotations.

What's a Douglas Wolk?

XIII

XIII

Best French person ever

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
That was so not new-reader friendly!!! I was at times completely lost. But it's pretty. And intriguing. Though I would have liked to see how they got hold of Martian Manhunter. Did that happen in another book?

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts
Beats the heck outta me. I also have no idea...

* Why Metron's coloring has been leached like a victim of a whale-swallowing
* What an "Alpha Lantern" is
* How the Children of the Damned figure into Dark Side's plot
* Why Darkseid is now "Dark Side" but Kalibak and Kanto are still Kalibak and Kanto instead of "Kali Back" and "Can Toe".
* When the JLA decided to rip off Homeland Security's color-coded emergency system
* Why a situation involving evil deities rates only a "condition amber" rather than a "condition fire-engine-red"
* Why we got to wake up in the morning at the end with the new Nuklon, assuming this isn't a second character sharing that distinctive, horrid haircut
* Why did it have to be Metron? Just...why?

My goal is to go out of my way not to seek outside info, and to demand unreasonably that Final Crisis, in and of itself as a seven-issue miniseries, entertain me as a self-contained work. That means no Wikipedia, no Usenet, no Wizard (that part won't be hard), and almost no comics newssite articles. I will grant exceptions to look up word like "orrery" in the dictionary. If I happen to glean some plot info from a series I'm already reading, goody. If not, too bad for me. If someone posts helpful info on Nightly, I'll read it, but I reserve the right to be bitter about it just like any other Intarwub crybaby who doesn't get his way.

I grant the court permission to treat me as a hostile reader.

I haven't decided whether or not to touch any of the planned ancillary specials and concurrent miniseries. This week's "DC Nation" column lists the following upcoming crossovers:

Final Crisis: Requiem
Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge
Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds
Final Crisis: Revelations
Final Crisis: Submit
Final Crisis: Resist
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond
Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns

And then they have the chutzpah to follow up with this comment:

There's not a lot of them -- we wanted to keep them all as special as the main Crisis, since we know you readers don't have infinite money coming out of your pockets...

Yeah. Maybe you know, but do you care?

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
As a casual reader, I am wholly mindf**ed by Final Crisis 1. I had to re-read it two or three times and Google and Wiki a lot of names and terms in order to figure out what the heck was going on. Not only that, but it seems as if the cooler stuff is exactly what we're not seeing, as exampled perfectly with whatever happened to Manhunter. How did that happen? How and why would the rest of the JL not have been able to help him?

I'm well aware that this is a lot of set up for issues and tie-ins to come. But having even less experience with the Marvel Universe, Secret Invasion 1 and 2 has been far more self contained, explanatory, and honestly more enjoyable. Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

Edited by D-Ray Kenobi, 30 May 2008 - 10:51 PM.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I haven't read it yet but I went ahead and spoiled myself and they've already burned one bridge by killing their assertion that its an entirely self-contained story in the very first issue. This Darkseid/Dark Side business reminds me of Morrison's Seven Soldiers. And I am now confused because I never read that book. And its never a great sign when you hear someone within the company assure fans "it'll pick up by issue 3". Its only a 7 issue event, why does it need 3 books to pick up speed?

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
Yeah, that had me disappointed as well. Secret Invasion was off to a great start in issue one as soon as they crash landed.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
They also need to be careful not to hold off Barry's appearance for too long. They clearly let the cat out of the bag in DCU #0, so the fanbase that is in favor of this moved are obviously psyched to see him. I think it'd be a mistake if they hold out showing him till the final couple issues or something like that. People will get antsy. The surprise of his return is over and done with, no point drawing out the anticipation to the point of frustration.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts

This Darkseid/Dark Side business reminds me of Morrison's Seven Soldiers. And I am now confused because I never read that book.

I read the entire Seven Soldiers saga, all thirty issues. I can tell it's directly related. I'm still confused.

"Dark Side" first appeared in Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle, but I get the impression in hindsight that that miniseries took place in the future, after Darkseid's "death" in Countdown #2 but before FC #1. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other logical way to connect them. Unless I'm supposed to be connecting them through means other than logic. With Morrison involved, I can't rule that out.

Dark Side also appeared in The Flash #240, out a couple of weeks ago, which I happen to be collecting because I think writer Tom Peyer deserves a following. Dark Side's child abduction scheme is in full effect as he's trying to kidnap Wally's kids Jai and Iris, but he's shown wearing the same African-American body that he had in SS: Mister Miracle. I assume sometime between The Flash #240 and FC #1, Dark Side switched/will switch/is switching/will have switched bodies.

With so much body-hopping going on/yet to come, this looks like a job for Deadman. Or for Jonni DC, Continuity Cop.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts

That was so not new-reader friendly!!! I was at times completely lost.

As a casual reader, I am wholly mindf**ed by Final Crisis 1. I had to re-read it two or three times and Google and Wiki a lot of names and terms in order to figure out what the heck was going on.

I agree, I know the DC universe pretty well but didn't have a clue what was going on for most of the issue. Don't really know what else to say about #1, I was very underwhelmed.

XIII

XIII

Best French person ever

• Members
  • 3,592 posts

This Darkseid/Dark Side business reminds me of Morrison's Seven Soldiers. And I am now confused because I never read that book.

I read the entire Seven Soldiers saga, all thirty issues. I can tell it's directly related. I'm still confused.

"Dark Side" first appeared in Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle, but I get the impression in hindsight that that miniseries took place in the future, after Darkseid's "death" in Countdown #2 but before FC #1. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other logical way to connect them. Unless I'm supposed to be connecting them through means other than logic. With Morrison involved, I can't rule that out.

Dark Side also appeared in The Flash #240, out a couple of weeks ago, which I happen to be collecting because I think writer Tom Peyer deserves a following. Dark Side's child abduction scheme is in full effect as he's trying to kidnap Wally's kids Jai and Iris, but he's shown wearing the same African-American body that he had in SS: Mister Miracle. I assume sometime between The Flash #240 and FC #1, Dark Side switched/will switch/is switching/will have switched bodies.

With so much body-hopping going on/yet to come, this looks like a job for Deadman. Or for Jonni DC, Continuity Cop.

So, are Dark Side and Darkseid the same being? I'm lost.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

What an "Alpha Lantern" is

Think Internal Affairs for the Green Lantern Corp.

I haven't decided whether or not to touch any of the planned ancillary specials and concurrent miniseries. This week's "DC Nation" column lists the following upcoming crossovers:

Final Crisis: Requiem
Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge
Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds
Final Crisis: Revelations
Final Crisis: Submit
Final Crisis: Resist
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond
Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns

Out of those, I'd say get the Legion Of Three Worlds mini. It looks to be the most entertaining.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts
Possibly. I'm already leaning toward Rogues Revenge because I like what Geoff Johns has done with the Rogues in the past...well, except for the stories where he un-reformed previously reformed villains like the Trickster and Heat Wave. Those stories bug me to no end -- the ones that work toward his agenda of resetting every single facet of DC continuity to look precisely as it did when he was age 12. Otherwise, he writes great Rogues.

The other series, for me, will largely depend on the creative teams involved.

So, are Dark Side and Darkseid the same being? I'm lost.

I'm sure there's a firm connection between the two, but I have no idea if it's a connection that was established in a comic I haven't read, a connection that will be revealed later in FC, or a connection that's crystal-clear in Grant Morrison's head but readers will just have to accept without explanation.

:shrug:

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts
What are Red Lanterns ?!

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts

What's a Douglas Wolk?

Oh, about ten pounds. Link.

Everybody needs to chill out. So what if characters come and go without being clearly identified? So what if people's appearances change between panels without any rhyme or reason? So what if the plot can't be understood and things don't make any sense?

These are all very minor flaws. Let's just remember that next month a character called Most Excellent Super Bat appears in this title's pages. All will be well.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

What are Red Lanterns ?!

Like Green Lanterns, only their rings are powered by their rage instead of their will.

Reply to this topic