Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"The Hobbit" Thread

• Please log in to reply
592 replies to this topic

Darth Kcorbe

Darth Kcorbe

• Members
  • 2,588 posts

The Carrock is what it's called.

making it the perfect place for a pit stop.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Finally got to see it this afternoon. After, my wife asked what I thought and I replied, "I'm still digesting it". Still true, for the most part, as I can't quite pin down my opinion. There were many good things, but I think what really kept me from loving it was that, unlike the LotR films that had several characters I really liked, none of the "new" characters really grabbed me. Now, it's been many moons since the last time I read the book, but I always remembered Thorin being my favorite dwarf. Here, though, he was pretty much a dick. Worse, he was the only dwarf that really stood out. Even Bilbo was rather blah, lacking the sense of wonder I seem to remember him having.

On the one hand, it's hard to give significant depth to so many characters. On the other, I remember caring about/liking a number of these characters in the book and they turned that 300 page book into 3 films, so maybe it shouldn't be that hard. Maybe I'll catch it again in the budget theater and/or certainly when the DVD comes out. We'll see how a second viewing changes my opinion (or at least solidifies one). :shrug:

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
It's dangerous to go to a movie with so many expectations. I really enjoyed it, but was alternately confused and infuriated with the changes I didn't see coming. I think I'm in the minority, as I much prefer Bilbo to Frodo (not just in the book, but I didn't care for the Elijah Wood Frodo, either), so I preferred the lead. I also like Thorin, but agree with the criticism that other Dwarves could have/should have stuck out more.

:eek:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Bilbo is way cooler than Frodo, so I agree with you there. Thorin was okay if a bit too blustery for my tastes. TBH, Gandalf is really the most solid character in the whole damn movie.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Well, though I implied that I didn't like Bilbo in the film as much as I did the book, I still agree that he's better than Frodo. My wife & I rewatched the trilogy last week and I had forgotten how annoying Frodo was.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,819 posts
Just got done watching in imax hdr 3D or whatever the hell it is. First off, loved the movie. Loved the beginning when old bilbo did a bit of narrating. I didn't really notice the issues with the high frame rate. Thought the pictures was beautiful. While I do agree it does take a bit for the movie to get going, once it does, it moves at a fine pace.

A complaint I do have though, is that Peter Jackson made the film so damn frightening. The white orc and his minions are quite terrifying, coming from a light hearted, fun adventurous book.

Frexspar

Frexspar

• Members
  • 812 posts
I love the hobbit!

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,500 posts

It's dangerous to go to a movie with so many expectations.

This. Yes.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,052 posts

Where is this coming from? I went to a Christmas party where they were talking about how this was going around.

I'm not sure. I think it's a reaction to the movie rather to the actual text (though I do vaguely recall something from maybe Tom Shippey about facile one-to-one correspondences between the races of Middle Earth and our own actual real life races that might have mentioned something here) and isn't based in that much.

Hah! Me of 2012 you were so naive and uninformed :

From a Tolkien interview that can be read here :

"The dwarves of course are quite obviously – wouldn’t you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."

So they're "quite obviously" Jews and he even made Khazdur or whatever so it would be jew-y.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,500 posts

The Carrock is what it's called.

I saw this again today with my mom and great aunt, and did anyone else notice...

Spoiler

Hah! Me of 2012 you were so naive and uninformed :

From a Tolkien interview that can be read here :

"The dwarves of course are quite obviously – wouldn’t you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."

So they're "quite obviously" Jews and he even made Khazdur or whatever so it would be jew-y.

Well then! Won't I be popular at future parties with that trivia tidbit.

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

The Feathered Serpent

• 3,302 posts
I LOVED this movie, but I'm not sure I like the way Elijah Wood and Ian Holm are being shoehorned into these films. I didn't mind the bit with old Bilbo and Frodo at the beginning, but IMDB has both actors listed for all three films, so I'm guessing that they'll be more "future" scenes in the next two movies. It just feels kinda forced and unnecessary to me. I also noticed that Andy Serkis is listed for the next movie as well. Now, its been a while sinse I read the book, but isn't Gollum's part in this story over now?
  • Copper +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,544 posts
I think they're supposed to depict his travel to where he meets up with Frodo.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,500 posts
The Desolation of Smaug trailer:

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,578 posts
Too much Legolas. I am, however, a fan of Lee Pace.
  • NumberSix and Ryn +1 this

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
SMAUG!!

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,500 posts
Someone needs to swim in that pile of money. That's all I have to say.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,754 posts
That's a lot of jumping for just one trailer.
  • Ryn and Lucas1138 +1 this

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,994 posts
Legolas was in it more than Bilbo. LOL. The movie is "The Hobbit".