Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"The Hobbit" Thread

• Please log in to reply
592 replies to this topic

King_Elessar

King_Elessar

Avengers Assemble!

• Members
  • 3,269 posts
'The Hobbit': Peace in Middle-Earth?

This is indeed exciting news!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
"For once, there's reason to be cautiously optimistic."

Well, it's certainly better than "hopeless", so I guess we'll take it! :yes:

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,281 posts
I think the most likely scenario is Jackson being given the producer reigns. Not as a producer who throws his name on the list, but a more hands on role sort of like Lucas has taken in years past.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I'm thinking that New Line fast-tracks this film (which will turn out horribly with or without Jackson if it's rushed) to beat the strike next summer or NL will lose the rights to making the film and go back to Saul Zaentz in 2009. I also wouldn't be surprised if it fell into Dreamworks (or Spielberg's lap), which will work out in Jackson's favor altogether.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
I read on www.bbc.co.uk the other day that Jackson will have no directorial involvement in the film due to a dispute over the money from Fellowship. Apparently he'd e-mailled Sir Ian McKellan and told him that just because he wasn't going to be involved that shouldn't mean that he shouldn't reprise his role as Gandolf.

Article: http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/7044649.stm

Just in case any of you didn't catch it :)

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,123 posts
I read an article recently with Sam Raimi, where he said that if PJ were involved in the film in a producing role he would jump at the chance to direct. But he would not want to take PJ's baby from him, and wouldn't be interested if PJ isn't there.

drevil

drevil

Former mod of the Austin Powers board; around as long as God

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
I know this might sound heretical, but I almost hope someone other than Jackson directs but that Jackson is involved. I loved a lot about how Jackson did things, but the more I go back and watch the films, that initial awe is gone and I focus more on the smaller things I don't like. And he really did muck some things up.

MarleyJacobs

MarleyJacobs

• Members
  • 3,035 posts
I think they should let other people take a crack at it, actors and all. It's a different kind of story, and if they succeed in making a decent Hobbit film without drawing from Jackson's films for precident, I will be truly impressed. In any case, I am absolutely against sealing the deal by involving Jackson. I want to see a real LotR trilogy one day, after all.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I'm shocked this hasn't been resolved yet one way or the other.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,836 posts

I know this might sound heretical, but I almost hope someone other than Jackson directs but that Jackson is involved. I loved a lot about how Jackson did things, but the more I go back and watch the films, that initial awe is gone and I focus more on the smaller things I don't like. And he really did muck some things up.

So....I'm not the only one who's thinking the Rings Trilogy isn't aging very well? Don't get me wrong, i still enjoy it, but much like drevil, I'm noticing more of the things that i don't like about it rather than the things i love about it.

For example, the cuts. While i understand cuts are necessary in filming a movie, Jackson cut the film WAY too many times and it's getting to be a huge pain in the ass the more i view it. It just messes with the flow and direction.

The Maker

The Maker

Old Hermit

• Members
  • 11,429 posts
The Hobbit is a GO!!!

http://www.theonerin.../18...obbit”/

PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT”
December 18th, 2007 by xoanon

December 18, 2007

ACADEMY AWARD-WINNER PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE “THE HOBBIT,” EAGERLY-ANTICIPATED FANTASY ADVENTURE EPIC

NEW LINE AND MGM TO CO-PRODUCE AND SHARE WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS

PETER JACKSON AND FRAN WALSH TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE TWO FILMS BASED ON “THE HOBBIT”

Los Angeles, CA (Tuesday, December 18, 2007) Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.” New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on “The Hobbit.” New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the “Lord of the Rings” (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, “I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey.”

“Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making ‘The Hobbit,’” said Sloan, MGM’s Chairman and CEO. “Now that we are all in agreement on ‘The Hobbit,’ we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film.”

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, “We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with ‘The Hobbit’ movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Trilogy.”

“Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with ‘The Lord of the Rings,’” notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. “We’re delighted he’s back for ‘The Hobbit’ films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord.”

The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

For more information about “The Hobbit” films, please visit www.TheHobbitBlog.com.

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
I just read about this over at ComingSoon.net - what I'd like is why there's a "Hobbit sequel" coming from out of nowhere...

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, “The Hobbit” and a sequel to “The Hobbit.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,281 posts
Wow. Awesome, awesome news.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,281 posts
Okay, I had to take the time to read through and digest the press release...

I'm still pumped about this, but not as much as I would have hoped to. Ideally, I'd still want Jackson to direct. I have to disagree with David and say that the former trilogy certainly has aged well, and I'd hope that the next film (or two) would have perfect continuity with the rest of the franchise. But as Exec Producer, I'm sure he'll still have many final say-so's and possibly even some uncredited script doctoring and second unit directing. If anything, this at the very least helps to ensure that McKellan will be back. Not the announcement I've dreamed of, but close enough to still have me excited.

Now, onto the prospect of two films. My guess would be that they are planning to split it up. It's possible that they could take pieces here and there from notes and appendices to make sort of an "between-quel" to bridge The Hobbit and LOTR, but I don't really see it happening. Though I'd love to be proven wrong with any other ideas from anyone else. But I just don't see how it could make for a compelling story fit for what would be, unless someone takes the wild plunge into The Sil, the final film to such a wonderful franchise. Instead, I think that they might inject some sub plots in and split the whole thing up into two parts. Maybe it could start when Gandalf first enters Dol Guldur and end around the time that he and Aragorn meet. I don't know. There's a lot of possibilities there, but with Jackson finally confirmed to be spearheading the project, my worries have disappeared.

But yeah. I'm just so excited about this. It's been four years since we had a proper Christmas.

Mandard

Mandard

First Speaker

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
Ha. So it appears the bombing of Golden Compass does have a silver lining. New Line had been in negotiations with PJ for a while, but with the whole Compass fiasco they pretty much lost any leverage they might have had. Word on the net is that they immediately went to PJ, put aside any bad blood and caved to whatever he wanted.

As if they had much choice. It's been rumored that the Compass fiasco might cause the studio to close and be folded into WB so they must have been desperate to get the deal made. Although the sequel thing is really weird. Not sure where they're going with that but here's hoping it works out well.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
I'm sure it's not The Hobbit and Hobbit sequel. I'm sure they are just taking it and splitting it into two films.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,281 posts

Ha. So it appears the bombing of Golden Compass does have a silver lining. New Line had been in negotiations for PJ for a while, but with the whole Compass fiasco they pretty much lost any leverage they might have had.

Hells yeah. Bob Shaye knows where his bread is buttered.

Mandard

Mandard

First Speaker

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

I'm sure it's not The Hobbit and Hobbit sequel. I'm sure they are just taking it and splitting it into two films.

Well, that's what I assume too, but you gotta admit the press release doesn't make it sound that way. Somebody should get fired for such ambiguous wording.

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
how would you even make a hobbit sequel? more of bilbo's adventures with gandalf/dwarves/rangers that we were never told about in depth?

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts

I thought so too. I'm not up much on all things Tolkeen, so I'm a little lost as to what kind of story could be told after the Battle of Five Armies. How much of "...and back again" is there to tell that would be dramatically compelling enough for a movie? The Battle would therefore have to be the end of it, right? So it's not a sequel, but just the second half of The Hobbit itself.

Darth Kcorbe

Darth Kcorbe

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
here's hoping the music is on par with that in LOTR. as PJ said about making LOTR, if one character is wrong it'll affect the whole movie. the music is as much a character as any actor, so Hopefully they'll get Howard shore to do the score for the Hobbit.

and i have to say i still enjoy the LOTR trilogy just as much as the first time i saw it.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,889 posts
It might just be me here...but...

The Hobbit was always the most compact and comprehesive of all the books. I don't see how they're going to stretch it into two films. Unless they're two hour and a half long movies and not just one three hour movie.

ElfinYoda

ElfinYoda

Oh my god Becky, look at her Big Book...

• Members
  • 7,184 posts
Yay for Peter Jackson!! But... :hmm: on splitting up the Hobbit into two films. This was talked about awhile ago, if memory serves, I think Jackson always said the Hobbit would be two films instead of one.

I soooo hope the whole scene with the Trolls will be in the movie, I always got a good chuckle during that bit! :)

ThunderDroid

ThunderDroid

One Louder

• Members
  • 4,359 posts
They will probably augment that entire White Council subplot to make The Hobbit films feel more like true LOTR "Prequels" for the general public. This would be entirely consistent with the approach taken with the LOTR movies themselves - many of Gandalf's actions are revealed as long, expository "flashbacks" in the books, but in the films (espeically FOTR) they are more or less shown as they are occurring. I would expect the film to occasionally cut away from the main Bilbo story and follow Gandalf on his labors. And, if the director is anything like Jackson (or is Jackson himself, which is my guess), he/she will surely devote extended amounts of screen time to the final battle; consider that the single "Helm's Deep" chapter from the book became nearly the entire second half of The Two Towers movie.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,123 posts
Great news this, and I agree with Mandard that we have Golden Compass's poor box-office showing to thank for it.

As for the two-film idea, I remember when originally reading about this idea that it was mentioned that the second film mcould focus a bit more on the events between the Hibbit and Fotr, ie the pursuit of Gollum and what-not. However I would prefer if they split up the two narratives, focus on Bilbo's story for one, and then on Gandalf's for another. I always thought the whole White Council part of the story could be developed a lot more.

Having PJ and Fran Walsh on-board as producers would accomplish a lot. You can almost guarantee that the same people will be working on this, and hopefully Howard Shore to return to do the score (things ended pretty badly on King Kong between the two).

So now, who to direct. Let the bidding begin. Sam Raimi has shown interest in the past, but only with PJ producing.