Nightly Basketball Federation - Season VIII

groove terminator

OK ESPN have started allowing to create a league process, i will create the Nightly Basketball Federation.

We can have up to 20 teams but we would like to 8-10 but if their are more willing to join then the more the merrier of course

It says that the settings can be changed at anytime during the season, so create the league site will show we are pretty serious about getting this off the ground for this upcoming season

Going through the creation process, what I believe we need to discuss at this stage are:

1. Number of starters

2. Starting positions

3. Bench numbers

4. IR?

5. Scoring type

• H2H or Roto?
  • Points Based
  • H2H Points
  • H2H Most Categories
  • H2H Each Category

Categories to choose from are: Points, Blocks, Steals, Assists, Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounds, Rebounds, Ejections*, Flagrant Fouls*, Personal Fouls*, Technical Fouls*, Turnovers*, Disqualifications*, Field Goals Made, Field Goals Attempted, Free Throws Made, Free Throws Attempted, Three Pointers Made, Three Pointers Attempted, Minutes, Games Started, Games Played, Field Goal Percentage, Free Throw Percentage, Three Point Percentage, Adjusted Field Goal Percentage, Field Goals Missed, Free Throws Missed, Three Pointers Missed, Points Per Minute, Assists To Turnover Ratio, Steals To Turnover Ratio, Double Doubles, riple Doubles, Quadruple Doubles

Note

• Categories with a "*" represent the lower the total the better.

• Scoring settings can be changed at any time until Sunday, November 30, 2008.

6. Next would we want to have daily roster changes or lock them in for the week? I know not everyone comes online every single day so having the weekly option could work for those but of course that will be one of the discussion points

7. Wavier period - 2 days?

8. Trade Deadline?

9. Number of Keepers?

10. Division Names?

11. Number of weeks, its gives us a couple of options here from 18 weeks through to 24 weeks but this will effect the number of playoff weeks too

12. Tie Breakers?

13. Playoff system? How many weeks? Number of teams? Tie Breakers?

14. Draft Type? (personally i would say lets do it similar to how we do the NFF draft)

Thats everything that can be raised from when I go through the creation process, it tells me through out that settings can be changed so changing anything shouldnt be a problem as at this stage I have just left everything at default and brought it to attention in this post to discuss

PM your email address to me so I can start sending out invites to those who wish to join!

I'm definitely in. This is not to say that I won't be doing the usual Yahoo stuff ('cause you KNOW that I will :rock:), but yeah...count me in.

Some key points here that I'd like to interject (without looking at the ESPN site):

- IR would be GREAT

- Salary cap? Is this possible? It might be interesting :shrug:

Just some random thoughts about the above posts:

TO's are a huge part of the game. How many times have you heard coaches preaching that they need to "take care of the basketball"? The reason is because it can decide games down the stretch. It could be argued that having TO's represented makes more sense than FT% or 3P%, since some teams don't go to the line very often or shoot many 3's, so it doesn't have a huge impact on their game. Turnovers effect everyone, though.

Unless things have changed in the last year, there just isn't as much interest in fantasy basketball vs football, so if you have two leagues there either won't be enough people to support both or they're going to end up being almost all the same people anyways.

It's not surprising that Ex favours using an IR (:p), but I especially think it would be important if the roster size gets shrunk.

I like the way the rosters & starters have been done on yahoo, but I think we should have at least 8 guys (starting 5, plus one G, F, & C). No team goes with less than an 8 man rotation on any given night.

Number of keepers may depend on roster size (my gut reaction, though, is to say 4, like we do in football). Likewise, number of weeks will depend on how many teams we end up having (and thus how many playoff spots).

2 days is fine on waivers.

I like the H2H individual cat system. I also like the 9 cats we currently use, though I haven't read and considered the entire list, yet.

I definitely would want to be able to do daily changes. If my guy gets hurt in the first five minutes and puts up goose eggs for the night, that's one thing. But to not be able to replace him the rest of the week? That's not only frustrating, it's unrealistic.

This is a keeper league, which means it simply cannot be an autodraft. As we've learned, the best way to do a live draft is to do it here and give ourselves plenty of time to complete it.

Finally, I'm way too tired and lazy right now to PM you, gt, so here you go: darthlohr@hotmail.com

Just some random thoughts about the above posts:

TO's are a huge part of the game. How many times have you heard coaches preaching that they need to "take care of the basketball"? The reason is because it can decide games down the stretch. It could be argued that having TO's represented makes more sense than FT% or 3P%, since some teams don't go to the line very often or shoot many 3's, so it doesn't have a huge impact on their game. Turnovers effect everyone, though.

Unless things have changed in the last year, there just isn't as much interest in fantasy basketball vs football, so if you have two leagues there either won't be enough people to support both or they're going to end up being almost all the same people anyways.

It's not surprising that Ex favours using an IR (:p), but I especially think it would be important if the roster size gets shrunk.

I like the way the rosters & starters have been done on yahoo, but I think we should have at least 8 guys (starting 5, plus one G, F, & C). No team goes with less than an 8 man rotation on any given night.

Number of keepers may depend on roster size (my gut reaction, though, is to say 4, like we do in football). Likewise, number of weeks will depend on how many teams we end up having (and thus how many playoff spots).

2 days is fine on waivers.

I like the H2H individual cat system. I also like the 9 cats we currently use, though I haven't read and considered the entire list, yet.

I definitely would want to be able to do daily changes. If my guy gets hurt in the first five minutes and puts up goose eggs for the night, that's one thing. But to not be able to replace him the rest of the week? That's not only frustrating, it's unrealistic.

This is a keeper league, which means it simply cannot be an autodraft. As we've learned, the best way to do a live draft is to do it here and give ourselves plenty of time to complete it.

Finally, I'm way too tired and lazy right now to PM you, gt, so here you go: darthlohr@hotmail.com

I would have to vote to have TOs as a catergory as Lohr stated

interest wise, well we'll see what happens but it is still worth giving it a shot as bball interest is starting to build from what i can see

i like the idea of an IR but yes we would need to have a smaller roster size

well if we go with 8 starters as u have stated, i would suggest having 4 bench spots which would give each team the standard 12 players but also have an additional IR spot for those emergency times

keepers i would be happy with 3 or 4, not to fussed on this point

i wouldnt mind going to a points based H2H like in football and we could work out the points to some how get the overall weekly scoring to around the same as a NBA scoreline but i will prob be the only one who would want that, so i am happy with the traditional 9-cat if everyone else is

i understand ur point on daily changes, i personally would want them as well but i just threw that one out there because i know some dont always get on to be able to change that, but yea i would go with daily too

and drafting, well autodraft is out of the question. it will be the same as the way we have done it for the NFF which we know will work

invite sent!!

we want to aim to get 10 people involved and at this stage, we have 7 by my weird aussie counting system! so 3 more and then we can finalise everything and get started with drafting!

yep definitely looks like we will get this on board, got 8 definite now with austin also to join (invite has been sent to him) which means we need two more to make a round ten though we can add more if there is more interest from anyone else! but we want to try and finalize all the points above quite soon and then we can get into the fun part of drafting!!!

i have sent a couple of PMs to those who have been apart the nightly yahoo league inviting them to check out the thread to see if it would interest them to join! but if anyone else knows of anyone who they think would be interested in join then send them to this thread!

A NEW GOAL IN SIGHT...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/Gggncar/nba-trophy_full.jpg

Owner of the well known NFF franchise Team Carr, Garrison Carr recently announced that he had purchased the rights to a team in the newly formed Nightly Basketball Federation. Our very own Susie Kolber was able to catch up with him...

"I love basketball, I always have. Growing up in Indiana where basketball is king, I didn't really have a choice. I'm so glad I finally get to pursue that passion here in the NBF. Basketball may have been born in Massachusetts, but it was raised in Indiana; and thats where the NBF is gonna be raised, wanna know why? Cause I'm sueing for custody and the trophy is gonna be living in MY house."

But don't you live in Chicago now?

"Oh yeah... well my trophy case is in my Hoosier home."

Garrison, what does it feel like knowing that you just purchased an entire basketball franchise? It's gotta be great having that excessive cash...

"I've been very fortunate to have been put in a situation where I can do things like this. I've got money, and I love sports. The only plausible conclusion to draw from that is that I should purchase a franchise right? Listen, if it were up to me everyone would own a pro sports franchise!"

Many people have described this move as simply. and I quote"A rich bastard throwing his money away on a venture he knows nothing about"... How do you respond to those critics?

"Yeah, I really don't know what I'm doing but I didn't have a clue two years ago when I founded Team Carr in the NFF and now I'm 2/2 in making it to the championship game and have a ring to show for my hard work. This can't be that much different right? Anybody can achieve anything they want with a little hard work. Thats what I did in the NFF and I'm in a good position there and I intend to do the same thing with my basketball team. We're going after classy guys that will represent our team well... and score points"

So, would you agree that you're in over your head? I mean you admit to knowing nothing about owning a basketball franchise.

"Am I in over my head? Of course I'm in over my head, but that doesn't mean I can't have success. I follow basketball, like I said its a passion of mine. I'm going to succeed because I have the work ethic and drive to succeed at anything. All the haters can apologize when they see me when I take the Larry O'Brien trophy on a championship tour this summer, because listen up..."

I'm listening

"I'm guaranteeing a championship for Team Carr in the inaugural season of the Nightly Basketball Federation. I'm bringing that trophy home to Chicago...er, Indianapolis. Hell, this team is going to represent the whole Great Lake area! Thanks for your time Suzie, I gotta run! Go Team Carr!"

Well there you have it folks, Garrison Carr guaranteeing a championship in his first fantasy basketball season ever! This kid never ceases to amaze me...

I missed a lot of schooling due to my responsibilities as an owner in the NFF, so sue me :D

*adds Lohr to the 'must kick the **** out of' list*

EDIT: Oh and at least you waited until the end of the interview to turn it off, be honest, you were riveted weren't you?

No, actually I was a big fan of Jordan until I lived outside of Chicago for about four years. Bombarded with the constant "Jordan=God" mantra really got to me. Especially since I got to see/read more interviews with him and from those I got the distinct impression that he believed that crap, too. I respect his ability, but I don't care for him.

As for the league, I think it'd be cool if everyone stuck to using actual locations, like we have so far. One of my old football leagues was called the "Outback League" and everyone chose Aussie locations for their team - well, except for me: the Nightmares were located in Auckland (sorry, gt)!

Irish's works in a "Scottish Claymores" way. I know I'm actually the one in a grey area, but "Phoenix" or "Mesa" were just too plain and "Valley of the Sun" was just too long. Locally, we just call the area "The Valley", but I'm doubting that would make sense to many other people. Not that it has to be from where you actually live. I was feeling some goodwill towards the local economy. Long ago, the Nightmares spent a few seasons as the Siberian Nightmares. The crowds are better here. So are the dancers.

I'm thinking of maybe changing it to the "Sonoran Nightmares", since this is the Sonoran Desert. Hmm, it's late...and I'm rambling...

I kind of like the general idea for the divisions, though. It has potential. Maybe we should come up with a list of potential former stars and make it into a poll. Or maybe even former player nicknames ("Stilt", "Pearl", etc). Some hoops slang terms could work, too ("Trey", "Facial"). Or perhaps my favorite idea: naming them after Darryl Dawkins dunks. "Go-rilla Division" and "Yo Mama Division", anyone? B-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.