Nightly Basketball Federation - Season VIII

groove terminator

just gaging interest to those who would be interested in being apart of a basketball keeper league run by ESPN which would be similar to the NFF Keeper League we run here. just running this thread separately to the traditional redraft league so people dont get mixed up

I know Irish is keen on the idea and Rock put his hand up to be apart of it, so we have three teams at least.

if we get enough people, i am sure Irish or Rock will be commissioner and set up the league!

so the more the merrier!

EDIT: here is the link to the NBF League Office

As for my feelings on a keeper league, they're pretty much the same as for football: I only like to have one team, be in one league. I know we have a history and comfort level with Yahoo, but I'd be open to moving the "official" league over to ESPN and making it a keeper league if ESPN is comparable. Otherwise, if we branched out into two seperate leagues like football, I'd have to pick one or the other (and I'm not sure offhand what that decision would be).

When I click on the "Keeper Leagues" link under ESPN's Fantasy Bsketball Rules section, it says "You’ve requested an ESPN.com page that does not exist." :shrug:

I'm not having any luck with the ESPN site. Some links won't work for me. One link sent me to a page for last season, which said that leagues started at $29.95 a year. I tried searching Google for ESPN's keeper league and found myself on a page that said it cost $49.95 and lasted three seasons (I have no idea if that was current info or not).

Anywho, it occured to me that turning the present Yahoo league into a keeper league would be fairly simple, if that's what everyone wanted to do. If we did, we'd have to decide if we were using last year's rosters or do another full draft and then start keeping guys next year (the one page I was on for ESPN said they keep three every year, which sounds like a good number). Either way, we'd always have the option to do a board draft next year, like we do for the NFF. Or another way we could do it (and still have an autodraft) would be to declare our keepers here and have everyone simply take those guys off of their Pre-Draft Rankings. Then we just add our keepers onto our roster after the draft.

I'm not having any luck with the ESPN site. Some links won't work for me. One link sent me to a page for last season, which said that leagues started at $29.95 a year. I tried searching Google for ESPN's keeper league and found myself on a page that said it cost $49.95 and lasted three seasons (I have no idea if that was current info or not).

Anywho, it occured to me that turning the present Yahoo league into a keeper league would be fairly simple, if that's what everyone wanted to do. If we did, we'd have to decide if we were using last year's rosters or do another full draft and then start keeping guys next year (the one page I was on for ESPN said they keep three every year, which sounds like a good number). Either way, we'd always have the option to do a board draft next year, like we do for the NFF. Or another way we could do it (and still have an autodraft) would be to declare our keepers here and have everyone simply take those guys off of their Pre-Draft Rankings. Then we just add our keepers onto our roster after the draft.

from what i can tell, espn is still in the process of setting up their site by the looks of it

but you do bring up a valid point lohr with just turning the yahoo league into a keeper though the only problem is that like you were saying some people only want to be part of one league (work commitments, time constraints, amongst other personal reasons) and the ones already in the re-draft league might have a problem turning it into a keeper league, so maybe we set up a second yahoo one instead of espn (which when researching deeper seem to want money and i have read numerous complaints about their basketball set up) and keep a copy of the rosters here on the board and just do offline drafts in the years to come (that way we can just slot the keepers in at the top of draft like i think irish did with the NFF)

i dunno its just food for thought and i'm happy with any proposed keeper system that we get set up as well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

ok i have looked over what is on the espn website and will need to nut out a couple of aspects

scoring system

roster slots

number of keepers

those would the main ones at first and then after we finalise those we would need to fix up just the minor ones which i am sure people will find and then we can get set up and ready to draft (in a similar way to the NFF Draft has been run)

not everything is totally up yet but we would be doing a custom league, so if everyone wants to have a glance over it and see if it seems ok or if they have any suggestions to put forth for it as well

ESPN Rules for FBA09

the create a league part isnt up yet, but if those who are interested want to PM me their email address and once the site becomes accessible I will get the invites sent out ASAP

Sort of an unresolved question from last year, but would this be a new league (i.e. in addition to the regular league) or are we simply changing our league? As always, I'm only doing one, so if there are two leagues I would most likely do the keeper league and leave our old league. Personally, I'd rather just change the current league, but it was never really clear last year what everyone wanted. :shrug:

I've only looked briefly at the ESPN site, but it looks like it should work. The yahoo league is a 9-cat league, if I remember right, and I like that (PTS, REB, TO, STL, BLK, ASST, FG%, FT%, 3P%). I think it gives a good overall combination of the most important parts of the game. It's nice to have options, though. The number of roster spots will help determine the number of keepers, I think. I know some of us like the roster size on yahoo, while others want to shorten it. We'll need to hash out the first before we can determine the second.

Sort of an unresolved question from last year, but would this be a new league (i.e. in addition to the regular league) or are we simply changing our league? As always, I'm only doing one, so if there are two leagues I would most likely do the keeper league and leave our old league. Personally, I'd rather just change the current league, but it was never really clear last year what everyone wanted. :shrug:

I've only looked briefly at the ESPN site, but it looks like it should work. The yahoo league is a 9-cat league, if I remember right, and I like that (PTS, REB, TO, STL, BLK, ASST, FG%, FT%, 3P%). I think it gives a good overall combination of the most important parts of the game. It's nice to have options, though. The number of roster spots will help determine the number of keepers, I think. I know some of us like the roster size on yahoo, while others want to shorten it. We'll need to hash out the first before we can determine the second.

yea it would be a new league, unless everyone wanted to change the other one but i believe that we should leave the other one as is if new people want to join from year to year

my suggestion would be to keep the 9-cat aspect but lower the numbers on the roster to say having a 12 player roster with 6 starters (G, G, F, F, C, Util) with a 6 player bench of ur choosing and having 3 nominated keepers

in my opinion this way ur starters arent limited to PG, SG, SF, PF, C but u can have any two guards, any two forwards, a centre & a utility player. and by having only 6 starters it make u really evaluate who would be most efficient for u for that day/week

Sort of an unresolved question from last year, but would this be a new league (i.e. in addition to the regular league) or are we simply changing our league?

I figure we'll do both leagues like we do for football. We'll have the keeper league (NBF) for our serious, hardcore fantasy gamers and the yahoo one for everyone else.

I agree about the stats thing. Actually, there's a lot to discuss, which is why I bumped the thread. We need to find out who really wants in and will commit to the league. Once we do that and get set owners, then we'll need to make decisions as a group, such as head-to-head, which cats do we want to include/get rid of, how many weeks, bench spots, starters, etc. There's a lot more involved than the football leagues.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.