The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

I'm more and more convinced that we're NOT getting a "new" boss. We'll get someone from inside the show. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it stayed Creed and they ruined the character just to keep it from being an outsider.

And if it DOES end up being the thing that Bethany posted, I'll consider this the series finale.

"We're making acronyms!"

The opening was this season's pinnacle.

God no! Hate Catherine Tate!

Never heard of her before this episode, and her interview didn't make me feel as if I've been missing much. I'd rather see Ray Romano stick around than her.

Since the show concluded with a commercial for Will Arnett's new series, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that he's out. Ditto, I'm sure, for the Finger Lakes guy, though I'd sincerely love to see him try.

As long as it's not Jim, Dwight, Kelly, Ryan, or Gabe, I like to think I'll abide by their decision, whoever it might be, outsider or otherwise. I just want good comedy again. This wasn't my favorite season.

* Either drop the Erin/Andy subplot or make a decision, already! Either Andy wants her or he doesn't. Make up your mind, dude.

* I found it interesting that they moved forward with the Phyllis/Erin story but they gave it just the right amount of time and ended it. It was so cute.

* Kudos to Ryan...who would've thought I'd say that...for reminding Jim that he has a serious decision to make that has an impact on everyone else, too, and to drop the routine for a week.

* The interviewees.

Ray Romano: Already has a show. Would be too easily manipulated by everyone in the office.

Will Arnett: Also has a show coming up. Was pretty bland, imo.

Ricky Gervais: No.

Catherine Tate: Easily the most annoying of the interviewees.

James Spader: Is probably the best bet for an outsider coming in. I was tired of his hamminess...and NumberSix got a distinct Shatner vibe off of him, too....very quickly. But they gave him the most screen time and have already set up a foil in Dwight who seems to not be vulnerable to his hypnotic voice. Annoyed because he seems to befuddle Jim, too, and I don't like Befuddled!Jim.

Jim Carrey: We all know he's not getting it.

* The office staff:

Kelly: I give her props for getting rid of Gabe by wisely pointing out his inappropriate relationship with Erin to Jo. Knock her down a prop for being easily bribed by Dwight.

Darryl: He was my man until he fumbled his interview and didn't know what a resume was. C'mon, Darryl isn't that lame.

Dwight: You gotta love his persistence anyway.

Andy: Oh, that was painful. Maybe they'll move him up so that he will stop bungling sales calls....? Clearly Jo was impressed by his credentials.

* Creed's Reign was just what a thought it would be. Lots of ? and ! and Pam stepping in to keep him in check.

* What's wrong with Toby? He looks like he hasn't eaten for like a week!

* Office staff fretting over whether to tell Angela about her state senator boyfriend. Will this be a situation in which Angela already knows? Another props to Pam for holding her tongue even though she clearly wanted to tell Angela during the scene when her wedding was being criticized. But funny that Ryan knows because of Facebook. Not funny that a State Senator wouldn't be more careful about what he does on Social Media sites. Oscar being horrified. :thumbsup:

* And now we have to wait to find out who the new manager is. Not surprised, but still disappointed.

* I did like Jo's disgruntlement over having to solve another Scranton problem

One of the funnier episOdes... But again, they have pushed their individual former quirkiness to far to buy. Kevin is a high functioning retard. I laughed... But he doesn't know the alphabet? At some point you question how he and Creed even manage to live much less hold jobs. Again it's funny, but they've gone too far

The past two episodes have been some of the best in years. Now that the show is more focused on the ensemble instead of just Michael, there's a lot more to play with.

As for who gets the manager job, my guesses are Andy, Jim, or Catherine Tate's character. Ed Helms is arguably the most bankable star on the cast now, and his character is very likable. He's who I think is the best bet. Jim would be a solid choice too. He's learned a lot on the job already by being co-manager, plus there were a few moments towards the end of this past episode that hinted at the fact that he's the only one in the office who is able to lead in any way.

Catherine Tate is a wild card. She's the kind of cast addition that would blend into the rest of the ensemble, plus it only makes sense in a weird way that a Brit would become the new manager of a show that's based on a UK show to begin with. Jo's admission to Jim that they're good friends also seems like a hint one way or another.

If I were on the search committee, I'd actually take a long look at Will Arnett's character. He seemed like one of the most capable candidates, and his tease of a three step plan that he'll only reveal if he's hired was actually pretty genius.

AND am I the only one that liked Andy's original character better? Remember when he was a sales driven rag-o-holic? When did he turn into a member of the Glee club that dressed like a gay leprechaun?

Don't get me wrong-- I agree the show can still be hilarious... but they've pushed and twisted these characters into such caricatures that it bugs me.

Really enjoyed the finale! Glad we only got 20 seconds of Jim Carrey. Woulda preferred less. Loved the English chick's interview! Wouldn't want her to be the new boss, but I LOL'd a bunch! "SAKI... SAKI..... IS HER NAME! If you don't want a massage, you can at least talk to her!" Oh, man, good stuff there.

Jim's reaction to Dwight's unveiling as the burn victim was priceless.

I'm with you, JC, about the Erin/Andy thing. I'll put money on it that we come back to season 8 with them dating, ala this year with Erin/Gabe.

NO MORE GABE!

I loved Spader and it would add a completely different dynamic to the show.

Gervais was a complete non-entity. Shame... was looking forward to seeing how that woulda looked.

• 5 weeks later...

Looking like its going to be James Spader...

--> Yes and no.

The way EW tells it, he'd be yet another temp like Will Ferrell, except unintentionally so, before making an even bigger move.

Not sure I'm on board with this. It sounds like every episode would be half an hour of Spader saying creepy, distant things while the rest of cast stands around him with raised eyebrows.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, creepy or retarded....

http://www.nbc.com/news/2011/07/06/multiple-emmy-winner-james-spader-joins-cast-of-nbcs-the-office-as-new-ceo-of-sabre-dunder-mifflin/

James Spader Joins the Cast of NBC's "The Office" as the New CEO of Sabre Dunder-Mifflin

"James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior," said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series' executive producers and a series regular. "He'll have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but within hours, got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company. James has an energy that is completely his own, and 'The Office' has no tools for dealing with this guy. We're thrilled he's joining our cast."

• 3 years later...

Just finished the series, been watching several episodes a night for a few months. Liked it a lot, but it took almost 12 episodes just to finally get to the point where I was like, "I think I could like this." There were painful spans of hardly funny all thru the series, there was even a horrifying moment when I almost dropped the show because my teen son caught one of the episodes then laughed because he said Michael reminded him of me. Overall an enjoyable ride, really missed Michael when he left, but the rest of the cast compensated well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.