The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

I think the writers may have actually done some last minute re-writes to put Holly in a position where she could potentially come back later. I'm sure that they didn't anticipate that Amy Ryan would be that good in the role. I'm willing to bet that they were originally going to have her fired, but instead had her transferred so she could potentially come back later. They'd be silly not to. I've not heard from anyone who didn't absolutely adore the character.

As for this episode: Eh. About average for this show, but even that's still far funnier and more charismatic that just about everything else on TV. As usual, Dwight's subplot got the most laughs. And I'm happy to see that each Dwight gag in every new show is usually something entirely fresh instead of the same themes retread over and over.

As far as the overall plot for the season, I have no idea where they're going with this. They've obviously trying to build Michael up as a guy that you want to care and root for despite his unintentional douchebaggery in past seasons. But so far, he's a completely tragic character that's at conflict with just about everything in his life. I had thought that last year Dwight would have some moment of triumph after sitting through Andy and Angela, but that never happened. If it weren't for that, I'd bet on something great happening for Michael. But now I don't know. When it comes to Jim and Pam, I'm almost convinced the writers are more than intentionally slowing that plot line down in favor of character development elsewhere. I'm more than sure at this point that Michael and what is going on with him is the main plot for this year.

But anyways. Like I've said before, I really don't know where they are going with this. And I'm sure that any guess I would make would eventually be proven wrong. But that's one big reason I love the show.

Last night's episode was ok. It was bittersweet to see that Michael was pretending he and Holly were engaged to the point where he was made to call his mom.

But I was saddened to see Andy completely miss that Shrute farms was not the right place for his wedding to Angela, particularly failing to notice that she had the parameters picked out astonishingly well.

On the other hand, it was so typical of Michael to let Kellie off the hook because no one wants to come to his parties, either. She caused a great deal of trouble for Jim and Dwight just out of pettiness. I also don't want to see Jim and Pam have problems because he wants to stay in Scranton and she wants to live the cosmopolitan artsy-life in NYC.

Last night's episode was ok. It was bittersweet to see that Michael was pretending he and Holly were engaged to the point where he was made to call his mom.

"I'm not a big believer in therapy, but I'd dig into my own pocket to cover his copay." This is why Darryl rules.

Jim-'n'-Pam were cute for most of the episode, but their interpersonal subplot keeps turning into soap opera. I'm not digging those parts so much.

And the Dwight-Angela-Andy triangle has become comedy death for me. Maybe if I hated Andy, I'd be amused. I don't, so I'm not remotely. Yeah, I get that he's a big hammy dork, and it's still a hoot to see him and Dwight go head-to-head without Angela as their Helen of Troy, but seeing Angela jerk Andy around is getting more and more uncomfortable. And not funny-uncomfortable.

Yeah, Angela is a funny character but she is just turning into a superbitch. And Andy is annoying me because he's so oblivious! I could do without that plotline.

And who the hell is that dude Alex to tell Pam that she should stay in New York? Speaking of that, why is Pam still in New York?!? She was there for June, July, August, September, and October. That's FIVE months! Not three like they originally said.

I listen to an Office podcast at work (shut up, I get bored easily), and they've been mentioning a lot of continuity errors lately. The amount of time Pam's in New York is one of them. Also, they said that Holly was going back to her old branch at Nashua, but she was clearly introduced as an outside hire.

The show keeps making me laugh, but IMO the writing is getting sloppy.

Yeah, also, while he's been established as Pam's New York friend, they haven't really established any kind of a bond between them that would make him feel comfortable saying something like that to her. It came way out of left field. I figured that she would have doubts about returning to Scranton, but having him suggest it to her was just so cliche.

That's a good point about memorable lines, NumberSix. All the other episodes this season have had a least a few quotable lines. This episode didn't have any that I can think of. The closest thing was Dwight's comment about the Andromeda Galaxy.

I'm wondering why Michael took Oscar and Andy rather than Dwight. Dwight usually campaigns for those type of assignments. Maybe he was just content to spend the time with Angela? I did like the interaction between Oscar and Andy, but I missed Dwight in the episode.

I'm wondering why Michael took Oscar and Andy rather than Dwight. Dwight usually campaigns for those type of assignments. Maybe he was just content to spend the time with Angela? I did like the interaction between Oscar and Andy, but I missed Dwight in the episode.

I think Michael said Oscar was his "numbers guy" or his accountant or something. Andy was along as his French translator, 'cause of course everyone speaks French in the exotic land of Ca-NAH-da. I imagine Dwight would've been more useful if the trip had been to a German-speaking Amish village.

Was anyone else expecting Tatooine?

Obviously! I kept waiting for it, but it never came. This is a damaging blow to the show's geek cred.

One thing I really dislike about this season is that the episodes seem pretty disjointed. For example, two weeks ago we had the big cliffhanger with Alex telling Pam to stay in New York. The following episode, they didn't address that AT ALL! Three weeks ago, Holly moved to Nashua, and then the episode after that Michael is pretending he's engaged as a joke, and that's all they mentioned about Holly! They addressed it more this week, but I don't like everything feeling so disjointed.

The second Office outing for big-screen director Jason Reitman was a big improvement over recent episodes. Still not perfect (Ryan + Kelly = dull thud), but I didn't realize how much I'd missed Toby until Michael's screaming fit. :heart:

And I totally related to the scene with Jim showing Pam their new house, such as it was. I think every guy who's serious about his woman has that sort of moment where you go really far out on a limb to do something for her; and then you hold your breath waiting for her to explode or sneer or curl her lip in disgust; and then she's totally overwhelmed and you realize to your own surprise that you actually got it right.

After seeing the hideous shag carpeting and the immovable Picture of Dorian Clown and the dimestore wood paneling, Pam's exclamation of "YOU BOUGHT ME A HOUSE!" was a spot-on moment of total redemption for their sometimes plodding plotline.

I still wanna know whose fault the microwave was, though. Not cool.

I thought it was a pretty weak episode tonight until the end. It felt like they took Micheal's dislike for Toby a little too far. The scene at the end with Pam and Jim was good though. All in all, I'm glad I made the right choice when I had to choose whether to watch my DVR of The Office or It's Always Sunny first. Something about this episode just didn't jive with me.

And what's with these "webisode" things that are so in vogue now. I don't want to watch The Office on my crappy 15 inch laptop screen if I don't have to. Put that stuff on TV or something.

They put the webisodes on the DVD sets, though. They are pretty cute.

Yeah, I really thought Michael took his hatred of Toby way too far tonight. Kelly and Ryan are boring as all get out. Jim & Pam's House Surprise was cute. Creed hiding in with the documentary crew while the cops were there was hilarious.

Michael's relationship with David Wallace is getting strained. He blames Wallace for his break-up with Holly and the speakerphone conversations between the two are reminescent of the early speakerphone talks with Jan. Michael texting 911 cluelessly whenever he wants someone to call him back was kinda funny.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.