The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

I'm not sure how I feel about the temp being back.

The dude is one of the producers-- they have to work him back in somehow.

I like Hollie. I hope that she doesn't go anywhere.

She's contracted for 6 episodes.

My favorite part:

Dwight: Eclair time. Put this in your mouth, don't swallow.

Michael: (fidgets)

Jim: No? Nothing? Really?

Anyone else notice the editing gaffe in the scene where Jim has lunch with Michael and Hollie? Michale didn't have a goatee in the scene, and yet did both before and after it.

I died laughing when Ryan took his new seat, regardless of the improbability. The rest stop proposal was sweet. And poor Toby...oh, dear. :lol:

The Dwight/Angela/Andy triangle isn't amusing me as much as it should, though. I'm starting to sympathize with Andy much more than I want to. I think that's more my own baggage than the show's fault, but Angela's two-timing just isn't the kind of thing that amuses me.

Anyone else notice the editing gaffe in the scene where Jim has lunch with Michael and Hollie? Michael didn't have a goatee in the scene, and yet did both before and after it.

YES. THANK YOU! I was having trouble proving to my family that I'm not crazy.

(For this reason, I mean.)

This was the first time an extra-long episode really worked for me. Probably because it wasn't just two plots smooshed together.

Amy Ryan (Holly/Hollie) is so good. I love that they continued the "Kevin is special" gag from last year and ran it out to a fantastic close. The show's got a history of letting good stuff fall by the wayside (Creed pretending to be young, Andy shunned by Dwight) once an episode is done so it's nice to see a joke like that get a proper finish.

Stanley's private BLACK POWER! moment and Phyllis' deadpan statement of "Probably my jugs" got the biggest laughs from me.

The guy from Pam's art school looked really familiar so I asked the Google about it and eventually discovered it was Harry Crane from Mad Men. Television is a small world.

• 2 weeks later...

Season premire= Didn't miss a beat.

-Loving Holly (Any Ryan). Jim's right in her description. For me it's like she's kind of awkward like Michael. She's def. got more couth, but often ends up with similar results.

-Pam may have grown recently, but she's still got that don't rock the boat/keep to yourself thing. Notice how she sat back down when she was in the wrong class as opposed to walking out as she intended to (when noted by the professor or whoever).

-I like Ryan. Umm, I mean I often find him entertaining that is, he's still a self-rightious prick. Maybe the specifics of the temps don't get paid attention to up the ladder?

Can't wait for tonight.

just something i've always wondered... why does BJ Novak appear in the opening credit sequence... i honestly don't consider him a lead role in the show like steve, rainn, jenna and john... i've rewatched the seasons and he doesn't get that much screen time then the other office characters... it's pretty much the same... anyways... just wondering.

just something i've always wondered... why does BJ Novak appear in the opening credit sequence... i honestly don't consider him a lead role in the show like steve, rainn, jenna and john... i've rewatched the seasons and he doesn't get that much screen time then the other office characters... it's pretty much the same... anyways... just wondering.

Novak is a writer/producer/executive story editor on the show, not just an actor. I guess that gets him the spot in the credits (because he's all those other things as well).

Novak is a writer/producer/executive story editor on the show, not just an actor. I guess that gets him the spot in the credits (because he's all those other things as well).

yeah but so is Paul Lieberstein (Toby) and Mindy Kaling (Kelly).

What intrigued me most about this episode (when I wasn't howling at "Klingons and Wookiees" and Dwight's priceless expressions) was the conference call between Michael, Holly, and Kendall at Dunder-Mifflin HR...

(...do I HAVE to do the spoiler-tag thing?...)

I was really surprised at first that Kendall sided with Michael. Then again, when I thought about it, it made sense. Dunder-Mifflin is the kind of company that's desperate enough to keeps a manager like Michael around for years despite his long list of offenses, so it just figures that they'd be more than happy to compromise in other ways when it suits their needs. They give the ethics lectures because they're required to...but how profitable are ethics?

So sure, why not let Meredith keep taking one for the team? If they fire her, they lose the supplier's discount and they have to spend money and man-hours hiring and training her replacement. On the plus side, they'd retain their integrity and honor, which would net them...pretty close to zero.

This explains a lot about Dunder-Mifflin.

The whole undercurrent of Jim proving to Dwight that he does take personal time during working hours was intriguing to me because we all do it if one counts a personal conversation with a co-worker. Of course, we all know that he is taking loads of personal time playing footsie with Angela. But yeah, that whole conversation with Ryan about "Battlestar Galactica" was hilarious.

What's bothering me about Dunder-Mifflin being played as a small paper company is that it doesn't really seem to be. It is largely localized, sure, to Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio and, lamentably, Connecticut, but they have a Corporate Office, a corporate structure and operates as a huge company. So, they may not be a chain, per se, as Office Depot, et al, but they certainly aren't a mom-n-pop small business.

Which explains perfectly why they handled Meredith's situation as they did. Which explains why they keep Michael on. Which explains why Ryan can work as a temp there (Kevin: "But he's right there!"). But I really liked the tension between Michael and Holly in this episode. I thought she was finally seeing the real Michael and I was sure he was going to blow it, but he made the right decision and let her proceed with her meeting.

The Battlestar Galactica bit was gold.

I see Holly sticking around Dunder Mifflin for Michael, but it's obvious that she no longer wants to work at a company that would brush Meredith's actions under the rug. I think that Holly will end up leaving Dunder Mifflin, but will stay on as a cast member because she starts dating Michael.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.