The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

Leave it to Michael to turn a small thing into a big thing and to completely bypass his reasoning for contacting these women in order to address a larger issue. From completely grounded in reality Carol to crazy Jan to bitter Helene (and I'm so glad they didn't forget Donna from last year), Michael realized he'd had something special with Holly.

The rest of the episode was meh. Except, of course, of Gabe reminding Andy of the wierd way he'd given his blessing for him to date Erin.

Meh, I guess they are just transferring David Brent's singing, which they never passed on to Michael, to Andy instead.

At least we got confirmation that Packer works for Scranton which was never clear to me, though how Michael forgot about Packer is beyond me. Well, okay, I'd like to forget Packer exists so maybe he does, too.

Like Salesman!Michael, though. He really knows his stuff. The opportunity to break out the big guns even distracted him from a meeting!

The thing with Stanley at the beginning --- didn't they do the whole "absent minded character gets his stuff switched out without him noticing" bit a couple of years back? I seem to remember Creed biting into a potato instead of his apple.

Yeah, that was a Karen episode. The office was betting on different behaviors of the staff - for example, how long could Kelly take to explain Netflix.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this episode:

On the one hand, the cold open was, to me, hilarious. It's about time Dwight got some real-life to go with his stubborn theories, however gross the examples were.

Nice to see Pam's dad, mom and Meemaw in small roles. And Jim's dad looks kind of hippy-ish (is that a word?).

So basically this had two parts: The Christening/Reception and the Bus.

The Christening/Reception:

Is this Jim and Pam's church? Is it the church of a relative? We've never gotten the impression that either of them are regular churchgoers, despite whatever religion they may claim (Pam previously said she was a Presbyterian). It may explain why the minister mispronounced their name -- but that's happened to me a couple of times anyway. :D

(Maybe it's Meemaw's church)

As a churchgoer for 40 years, I can say that I have never ever witnessed the minister inviting extra people to a private event unless approved by the event holders. Couples getting married may extend an invitation to the entire congregation, for example. But it's considered bad form to usurp a private event for a more public one, i.e. the Christening Reception being taken over by the mission team.

I was very unhappy with that plotline because it showed an unawareness of the intent of the reception on the part of the minister. But I suppose we could chalk it up to simple misunderstanding. I was very unhappy with the Scranton staff mocking the church members (especially those who offered up their "religion" of choice in a previous episode) and nearly stood up and cheered when Michael told them off for it. I'm still not sure how I feel about being proud of Michael.

I'm glad Michael felt welcome in church. But it's so typically Michael to be drawn to people who seem genuinely glad to see him.

Loved Toby and his nervousness. Toby, you can shout at God. He can handle it.

Loved Angela's mood changes around the baby.

The Bus:

It started to really fall apart for me when Michael got on the bus, which was totally predictable and you knew he wasn't going to follow through on it. It was just a question as to what would make him realize that Helene was too old for him...oops, I mean what would make him realize how much of an investment of time this would require. And teen missions trips are rarely more than a couple of weeks.

But I can see where they are trying to mature Michael and make him think about where he is in his life and what he really wants. No idea what they are planning to do re: his replacement.

Ya know, I can only take so many episodes of Michael ruining everybody's good time because he's miffed about something stupid. But he had a cute moment with Erin at the end where he got that she needed a father figure.

I was surprised at well-traveled and interesting Gabe. He and Erin are cute together. They really need to end the Erin/Andy thing. I thought they may have been cute together, too, but, to be honest, I tire easily of contrived plots to keep people apart. His whole Chinese seahorse binge was kinda dumb.

I can't believe how many "Glee" fans work at the Scranton branch.

Dwight holding CeCe was adorable, but I think Dwight/Angela has run its course, too. I do not see that as a meaningful relationship and they are obviously not getting anything out of it but sex which, to me, is not a significant enough reason to continue seeing each other, contract or not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.