The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

• 1 month later...

Well, looks liek the cliff hanger wasn't in the finale... it was in the off-season.

Steve Carell Confirms He's Leaving The Office

Source: E!

If you happen to see Steve Carell in the next few days, knock him over the head, will ya? Out of love? 'Cause clearly his brain has gotten all jumbly.

One of TV's best comedic actors of all time has just confirmed to us that he is indeed leaving The Office this May—argh!—and get this, seems to think no one will care...

E! News hit the red carpet for Steve's new movie Despicable Me last night, and Steve made it clear he was not joking when he told BBC Radio he would leave The Office after the coming 2010-2011 season.

"I just think it's time," Steve told our Kristina Guerrero. "I want to fulfill my contract. When I first signed on I had a contract for seven seasons, and this coming year is my seventh. I just thought it was time for my character to go."

But according to Steve, The Office could go on without him. "It doesn't certainly mean the end of the show. I think it's just a dynamic change to the show, which could be a good thing, actually. Add some new life and some new energy...I see it as a positive in general for the show."

Mother ****er. I literally can't imagine the show without Michael Scott. I have no idea what I would do as a writer. I mean, I could write him an exit and make it funny and epic, but I couldn't begin to write a season 8.

And I wouldn't want to.

I can't blame him for leaving. Which of us has stayed with a job for seven years without feeling stagnate? Better to go out before he drives it into the ground. Plus-- he makes much more money doing films and it's a lot lighter of a schedule. I support him!

That said, they should just end the show without him. Wouldn't be the same.

I'd love to see Michael Scott share the same final fate that David Brent suffered. Especially the part about the music video.

Gotta admit, I won't feel betrayed if the show continues after Carell leaves. After this just-okay season, they could use the great creative challenge that a major cast shakeup can provide...even though more often than not it just attracts sharks and ramps.

The only way they could possibly continue the show without him is if they brought in Ricky Gervais as David Brent.

They've been meaning to do a crossover episode ever since our version of the show started. And really, what else is Gervais doing these days? If Carell really is leaving, do a few season ending transition episodes between Michael and David before David takes over the Scranton branch for one more year and hopefully go out on a high note.

Meh, end the show if Carell leaves. I really don't want to see them try to squeeze another season out of the cast without Michael.

That's what she said.

(nothing sexual there, but I agree with what JC said)

I'm definitely down for another season after Michael leaves (maybe more, that all depends). Exactly like Six said, this past season was very run of the mill, a shakeup could provide new challenges and directions that could be good for the show... the alternative is also there however... I really don't know what I'll do on Thursday nights when The Office is no longer new (well, other than watch Community, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock...).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It would be a challenge to make the show as interesting without Michael. I mean without him screwing everything up and alienating people through awkward humour and friendship attempts, wouldn't it just be a regular everyday office?

I mean, sure Dwight could keep some funny moments going, but he was never made out to be a complete fool like Michael was.

Bringing in David Brent would be interesting, but I think at the end of the day ending the series after Carrell leaves is a better choice.

7 years is a good run for a show, try to end on a high note....instead of running out of steam and crumbling.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wish Jim and Pam wouldn't do talking heads together all the time. It seems lately that they're always talking together, except for when Pam was talking about the Facebook pictures. Yeah they're together, yeah we're supposed to think they're adorable or whatever, but it's getting obnoxious.

Greetings from the opposite side of the fence!

I don't watch a ton of TV these days, and what I do go out of my way to watch is generally filled with argumentative hateful couples who only stay together because the show's premise forces them to; one-dimensional dumb-guy/smart-woman couples; or couples that stay happy and reasonable until one of them is mowed down in arbitrary cold blood because Joss Whedon demanded it.

As one-half of a happy functioning couple, I love seeing our extreme minority represented.

I could not agree more. I love seeing a relationship actually work on tv.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.