The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

When did she show up during the episode after the initial blood drive scene?

During the party, a woman walks in and asks, "Is this the party?" Everyone looks down and mumbles. She walks out, disappointed. That was her. Michael's seat at the blood drive had faced away from her, so he had no idea what she looked like. He was still waiting for his dreamgirl to come in asking about her missing glove...assuming that glove was hers in the first place and hadn't been left by a previous donor.

That didn't sound quite right, so I went back and watched it again. It was definitely NOT the same girl. Rewatching the scene, the "joke" appears to be that when she walks in, everybody looks hopeful that this might be Her, but then Michael shakes his head and says no, at which point everybody looks away and ignores her. And it's funny cause they're...rude? And depressed? Or something? I don't really know. Not exactly this show's finest hour.

"I'm sorry you bought a house to impress Pam! That's why they invented carnations!"

("No, it's not...")

I'm still dying to hear Creed finish that thought. The first two-thirds of tonight's ep shows improvement, but my attention was derailed all through the last five minutes. Despite some funny lines, this one felt too predictable.

Michael's self-destruction in front of David Wallace continues. He's gone from a likeable guy who is clearly not the greatest regional manager to a perennial problem for Wallace. From the inability to tell David what makes his branch successful to the firedrill mishap to the Wonka experience, Michael's flightiness is showing.

CRAP! I forgot to watch this again last night. Why is it that every other night of the week I'm like, "I wish it was Thursday so I could watch the office" and every Thursday I'm like, "I think I should spend the evening doing dishes and making jewelry with the TV turned off."?!?!? :angry:

I'll catch the grainy, lag-arific online version sometime next week and be back with my thoughts.

Eh, it was an ok episode. I know a lot of the Office is based on awkwardness but it's almost getting too awkward. I dunno, I haven't been too pleased with the recent episodes aside from little parts of them.

Andy Bernard had some good scenes this episode and he is continually a guy who I want to see more of. The Kevin subplot was the better part of the episode, I felt. "Nice . . . Boobs."

I really enjoyed this episode. Especially the beginning. The cold open had me rolling-- anything with the Russians or the KGB always equals hilarity for me. No one knows why.

The talking head where Pam and Andy and Tuna were all arguing was great too.

"boobs". Lmao! That was priceless.

The whole "knock knock" KGB with Dwight and Jim was great too. The Andy/Jim/Pam/Kevin love advice scenes were pretty enjoyable as well.

All in all - a solid episode that I laughed out loud several times at.

I, for one, welcome Idris Elba's reign of competence that began tonight. Classy!

I AGREE! he was awesome and i can't wait to see more of him on the show...

as much as i like Jim... it was kinda cool to see him get taken down a peg with his smart ass ways...

i especially liked kelly and angela in this episode..

Oh, Kelly and Angela fighting over Charles was hilarious..."Is that his scarf?"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but Jim is actually Michael's "Number Two" guy officially. He was brought from the Stamford branch in season 3 when Josh decided to go to Office Depot or wherever he went. They were going to close Scranton and merge branches with Stamford, but ended up bringing Stamford people to Scranton and Jim was given the Number Two spot officially. This is different from Dwight craving that spot and never being given it officially by Michael, only a fake title. Charles should not have had to clarify that position. IMO, Jim's position in the office is not made up.

Also, it was interesting to see the relationship between Michael and David Wallace devolve. I have a feeling that Wallace was just tired of dealing with Michael and his idiosyncrasies all the time and, to be honest, shouldn't have to. Wallace didn't have to deal with the branch managers when Jan was charge and then when Ryan replaced her. Charles, as Michael pointed out, is just Jan/Ryan's replacement. He would have to go through Charles the same way he would have had to go through Jan and then Ryan.

Some thoughts on this:

Part of Michael's problem certainly was the 15th Anniversary party. We all know he's shallow enough to want his kudos and Charles was certainly right to be concerned when he found out some of the ideas being bandying about in the PPC meeting as indicative of Phyllis' bitter comment that they spend hours in there likely wasting time. However, what would have been wrong about planning the party and/or having it on a day when Charles wasn't there?

But, not all of it was just the party.

I believe Michael also resented that he had had Wallace's ear for a long time and was losing that access now.

Also, he felt that Wallace was showing him disrespect by avoiding his calls, which has some merit to it, but as pointed out above, it's not really Wallace's job to field whiny calls from branch managers who don't want to follow rules. To be honest, I think that this has been a downward spiral ever since Holly was transferred. Michael, in my opinion, still resents her leaving Scranton, blames Wallace for it, relished being a "Golden Boy" in Dunder-Mifflin where he had the CFO's ear and is now finding that he has to answer to a no-nonsense supervisor who wants to cut out his party.

So, what do you all think?

Good analysis. But the "I've been working here fifteen years and you can't even bother to take my calls" aspect of Michael's complaint IS the sort of occasional moment of truth he tends to stumble on. Despite the fact that it's not strictly part of the CFO's job description they obviously have a working relationship and he should have been straightforward about the situation irregardless of the fact that Michael is Michael. The Office exists in its own cozy sitcom pseudo-reality (which is what makes it so fun when a normal person such as Elba stops by) but even there it seems obvious to me that you should a) accept the phone call of your employee or b) tell them flat out you won't be speaking to them rather than c) having your secretary dodge for you.

I, for one, welcome Idris Elba's reign of competence that began tonight.

:(

He doesn't even know how paper is made.

My comments on each episode is quickly becoming a weekly series chronicling what parts hit home with me. If only because each new show has a nasty habit of striking a chord that is very close to home.

This week had two such instances, the biggest of which being Jim's dilemma. I can't tell you how many times I had a higher-up seem to not take me seriously because I'm much younger than them or don't fit into some sort of atypical corporate mold. Granted, I never did something as far as wearing a tux to work. Although the first few scenes surrounding that joke prior to Charles getting there were pretty funny, I found it pretty hard to laugh at it later on because I can totally emphasize with a less exaggerated version of that situation.

The other one was with Michael, and because I can kind of identify with what's going on with him, I think I might have a somewhat different perspective. The episode where David asked Michael to do some of the work of the corporate job reminded me much of the problems my dad has had professionally over the years. Just like Michael, his supervisors seemingly refuse to acknowledge his good work, yet still ask him to do the work of the position they've never asked him to fill. I can see Michael being fed up with that, in fact I was shocked that he wasn't upset that he himself was passed up for corporate. I just can't see him quitting solely over his party, but more so for reasons like that. And for that, I don't blame him one bit. I can anticipate the future episodes dealing with how Scranton isn't performing as well without him, and Charles eventually taking the blame and boot for it.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but Jim is actually Michael's "Number Two" guy officially. He was brought from the Stamford branch in season 3 when Josh decided to go to Office Depot or wherever he went. They were going to close Scranton and merge branches with Stamford, but ended up bringing Stamford people to Scranton and Jim was given the Number Two spot officially. This is different from Dwight craving that spot and never being given it officially by Michael, only a fake title. Charles should not have had to clarify that position. IMO, Jim's position in the office is not made up.

Yeah, this part bothered me. There's been a few instances lately where the writers have botched up continuity. Lame.

But Michael quitting? OMG.

I honestly thought that this was one of the Office's worst episodes. I continue to lose patience for the dramedy aspect of the show. And while I realize that Michael has a tendency to act out, no one would be that much of a baby to a new manager. I guess I just miss the days when wacky stuff would happen at the office without consequences.

I can see Michael being fed up with that, in fact I was shocked that he wasn't upset that he himself was passed up for corporate. I just can't see him quitting solely over his party, but more so for reasons like that. And for that, I don't blame him one bit.

I think that was the result of a major communication breakdown between Michael and David Wallace. Michael was doing a lousy job of expressing his frustrations about Charles, which really amounted to him not wanting to follow the contrary orders of some nobody from nowhere who didn't even know paper. His last line with Charles is as close as he got to being truly honest: "You know what happens when you put paper in a foundry? It's RUINED!" It's a great metaphor for his take on the situation, possibly the only workable metaphor he's ever devised in his entire life...but to his great regret, no one got it.

When Michael finished complaining to David, David thought it through and concluded that what bothered Michael the most was losing his 15th-anniversary party...so his solution was to solve that and make the party happen, and he figured Michael would go back to normal and go away.

In Michael's mind, the party wasn't the point. And the fact David Just Didn't Get it was the last straw.

I had been annoyed with the dramedy aspects of previous episodes, but the complexity of this one was above par.

But Michael's problems in the past have traditionally (with the exception of the Holly transfer) been fairly shallow things. We know he has an ego and loves having it validated. I guess Wallace picked up on that at some point. Though, agreed, he missed the point here.

Yeah, this part bothered me. There's been a few instances lately where the writers have botched up continuity. Lame.

But Michael quitting? OMG.

i never really felt that the #2 position was an official position created by corporate... it was just something made up in the office unofficially... in the office i used to work at there was always someone who was in charge when the boss was away but it wasn't official and it was just something our office recognized so we could turn to someone if we had questions... Yes Jan gave the job to Jim (whereas Dwight's position assistant to the regional manager was truly made up) but I honestly think Jan just did it to get Jim to go back to Scranton and that it wasn't really an official position in the eyes of corporate... this makes the scene between Charles and Jim even funnier/awkward to watch because you have this realization from Jim that his #2 position never was seen as official by the eyes of corporate (almost like he's realizing that he's almost become just like Dwight showing off his #2 position in the office)... and Charles looks like a smart guy and I would think that part of his job would be to know the various positions in the company which is why he questioned the #2 position... i also think it's funny that it's Jim who is trying to prove himself to the new guy instead of Dwight for a change...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.