The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

I really thought that was a great Michael moment when he realized that Jan would do anything to win this lawsuit, even betray him. It reminded me of how Jim, in the episode where the branches merged, reacted to Josh's defection with, "Say what you want, but Michael Scott would never do that."

And his reaction to seeing Toby down at Corporate, not wanting his help and Toby reacting to the diary entry (wanting a copy, etc). What I really think they may have missed is that Jan's performance evaluation of Michael actually helps her case. Part of her dismissal was the result of her superior's belief that her job performance was slipping, that she spent more time in Scranton than in New York.

Further, it appears that her relationship with Michael was brought into question. One would expect that her evaluation of Michael would suddenly take a positive turn which would have been suspicious and shown a lack of objectivity. That she continued to objectively rate Michael's job performance and point out - as has been on this thread - that Michael is better suited to sales than management demonstrates that she still had an eye for the company's benefit.

Unfortunately, that line of thinking never developed. You have to love the line in her evaluation though, "I am out of sticks. I'm out of carrots".

Man, I feel empty. Is this really happening? :( What's really sad is that on Jenna Fischer's myspace blog she said they were filming an episode that was the funniest ever involving Jim and Pam at Michael's house. *sigh*

Oh, I love Jan! Something like, people underestimate Michael but there are many things he's great at, like... ice skating... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Season 2 at Target on Black Friday for ten bucks not too long ago. After going through it and also watching some torrents of the newer episodes, I've come to a realization. I don't like Andy. I like Ed Helms, but I just don't like his character. He's sort of like Klinger in M*A*S*H. He's funny when he's just a bit player early on, but later when he's a regular he starts to get annoying. It's quite possible that his character is written that way, but when I cringe when he's getting a segment mostly to himself, maybe its going a little too far.

That's completely intentional (at least I see it as that way), as he was from a competing branch of Dunder-Mifflin and who obviously likes to be top-dog. He gets much better and more likeable later in Season 3 and 4, but he's still "that crazy guy from Stamford".

• 2 months later...

We sat through that same rerun! Love that episode.

("...and it wouldn't have been possible without PAPER...unless you had a camera.")

I had a weird Office moment this week, but related only to the BBC version. Local radio station WTTS-FM this week is doing their annual "Rock A to Z" fest where they spend a couple weeks daily from 6 a.m.-8.pm just playing rock songs in pure alphabetical order. In addition to the same old tired rock songs, they toss in tons of choice album tracks.

Last night on the way home -- just beginning the letter H -- they played the original "Handbags and Gladrags", not the version heard over the end credits. I didn't know it was a real, preexisting song, let alone that it was originally performed by Rod Stewart back in 1970. That was weird to hear.

Well, I was fascinated, at least.

• 1 month later...

Your post was the first I'd heard about it. I refuse to form an opinion until NBC announces something more substantial than just, "We plan to make it so," but so far I see nothing else online.

We can, of course, assume the following:

* It will be set in an office

* At least one character will wear a tie

* We will be flooded with promos for months

* There will be crossovers

Safe bets, but not guarantees:

* The creators will stretch themselves too thin, and at least one of the shows will suffer for it

* A cast member will move from the original to the spinoff permanently, and that will sadden me

* The spinoff will air in the timeslot immediately after the original , then be moved to a dead zone where only half of us dare follow it

Long shots:

* The spinoff will outperform the original in the ratings

* If the spinoff succeeds, Greg Daniels will see to it that NBC's schedule is littered with dozens of spinoffs like The Office: Stanford, The Office: Utica, The Office: Hummelstown, The Office: Special Inkjet Unit, The Office: Home Edition, and The Office XXVII: the Colbys.

* The ratings will plummet so hard, Ryan and Kelly will reunite and marry during sweeps

* Last-ditch controversy plea: Michael Scott announces he's gay as a French horn

* A cast member will move from the original to the spinoff permanently, and that will sadden me

I read somewhere, but of course can't find it now, that Andy would be that person. he works so well as Dwight's foil though I don't see him driving a show on his own.

if anyone wants to see a sneak peek of tonight's episode, there's a clip on the nightly news site:

http://www.nightly.net/television/the-office-returns/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.