The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that that person was really clever, so-to-say. I was just noting your comment and expanding on it, as well as how that person might come up with such possibilities plot-wise. It was, after all, you and him that had the corresponding posts about it above.

The Darryl/Kelly thing is in no way as subtle, either (even though we've only been given 2 hints, ignoring the fact that Kelly's overall personality leans towards wanting to be in a relationship both for self-worth and the possibility of marriage, D. seemed to be straight up hitting on her in a less-than-truthful "I care about you" way). If they go that route, I'd expect it to run slowly through (or not even be mentioned in) a few eps. It might be even funnier if this go round it was Kelly who was annoyed and unhappy and she crushed D., who has maybe developed actual feelings for her (contrary to the way I noted the situation above, actually). We must also realize that sometimes they set these things up, but never follow through. In a previous season it seemed that Angela thought Roy was attractive on a "manly" level, and when asked "Who would you do?" Roy answered "the uptight blond chick" or something, but nothing ever came of it.

Agreed on the second paragraph. To me Kevin is a way funnier character than Oscar in general (plus he gets more screen-time). Something about that guy just cracks me up.

"No, I mean it's bad...like eating a hot circle of garbage bad."

I expected that comment to be followed up later with him being "caught" by the camera crew eating a slice of the horrid pizza, and at first maybe looking embarrassed, but then deciding he doesn't care and physically shrugging it off in a "So what?/Oh well./What'cha gonna do?" exaggerated motion.

To me Kevin is a way funnier character than Oscar in general (plus he gets more screen-time). Something about that guy just cracks me up.

"Do you think we can order some of the good pizza while the hostage situation with the bad pizza works itself out?"

Had I been in that situation, I would've asked the same question. :p

If the whole Kelly/Darryl thing happens .. I'd love to see Ryan's reaction to it. Also, I wonder if there will be some sort of confrontation between Kelly, Ryan, and Karen in an upcoming episode .. 'cause when I heard Ryan tell Kelly that he had rejected an email date thing from Karen "6 months earlier" .. wasn't Ryan the one who asked Karen out [via email]?

Besides that, I love how last week was set up for Andy/Angela .. poor Dwight :(

(^)

Good call, although I can't rem. the way said email events played out. I'm thinking you're correct.

If the whole Kelly/Darryl thing happens .. I'd love to see Ryan's reaction to it.

Yeah, that's got potential too, seeing as how we know Ryan will be making stops into thew Scranton branch to check up on Michael, and Kelly will in no way be able to hold back from "bragging" to Ryan about a new relationship (even if she's not happy in said relationship, she's the type that'd fake it towards her ex out of spite).

Yet another fun ep. And, yes, this one did do a good job with the mixture of comedy and drama that both makes the show more interesting and fleshes-out/makes you care more about the characters, as well as making them more "real/relateable".

-The Darryl & Kelly thing was funny and was left open to pursue in future eps. Lots of fun lines there.

-You kind'a feel bad for Michael (as I believe you are often supposed to on a base level) in that at his secondary job he was popular and liked by a number of his co-workers. It's like he "fit in" there. He took on the role that those under him occupy at Dunder-Mif., where he was cracking jokes against authority that others thought were funny and complaining about stuff like "useless conference room meetings". Of course, the irony is that he can't see/doesn't notice such things when he is the boss.

-I hate to say it, but I've become quickly bored with the Andy/Angela/Dwight thing. The Dwight being sad run was fun, but it's already kind of gotten old for me. They need to downplay this storyline or make it funnier.

-Stanley : "...Jan's probably spending all his money."

Kevin : "Yeah, women be shoppin'!" *Sticks his fist out for a "pound".* :lol:

I love episodes like this where everyone expects Michael to flop hard like usual, then out of nowhere he commits a random act of competence. I expected his ad to be on the level of Greg Brady's school film about pilgrims, so the result was a charming surprise.

And hey! Special guest director Jason Reitman. Such a nice week.

("I hate being titillated.")

Man the commercial that they made was much better than corporates.

So true.

I love episodes like this where everyone expects Michael to flop hard like usual, then out of nowhere he commits a random act of competence.

Yeah. As I've said many times, we're supposed to like him (and I do). He's got a big heart, he just doesn't know how to relate to others well. I thought his commercial was really good.

-Andy not knowing that the term "necking" doesn't literally mean rubbing necks against each other was classic.

-It was funny how when the small group was huddled around D. at the keyboard working on the song, Kevin was doing air drums (a wrist-crossed snare-high hat tap) and Creed was doing air guitar (at least in the second instance), as those characters play those instruments.

An Office Convention

Fans of 'The Office' hold Pa. convention

Yesterday at 3:20 pm

Thousands of fans of "The Office" made a pilgrimage to northeastern Pennsylvania this weekend to party in the town where the NBC sitcom is set.

Die-hard devotees of the workplace comedy have been visiting Scranton landmarks referenced in the show, getting autographs from cast members and participating in contests.

The first "Office" convention kicked off Friday morning with an appearance by NBC "Today" show weatherman Al Roker and the University of Scranton cheerleaders.

Kate Flannery, a Philadelphia native who plays Meredith on the show, said she was last in Scranton during the 1980s when a friend attended the university.

"This is a little bit more than I expected," Flannery said. "We usually don't get cheerleaders."

"The Office" stars Steve Carell and chronicles the adventures of the fictional Dunder-Mifflin paper supply company and its employees.

The convention runs through Sunday.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

:thumbsup:

Yeah. As I've said many times, we're supposed to like him (and I do). He's got a big heart, he just doesn't know how to relate to others well.

I actually think his deal is that he places far too much emphasis on relating to others. Under the right circumstances, Michael can be really personable. His shtick can work in certain given situations and time and time again we've seen him have major success with clients. Dunder Mifflin shot themselves in the foot when they blindly promoted him above the level of salesman into management, that's all.

Weirdly enough, Ryan and Michael are now being set up as opposite sides of the same coin. One gets shoved from their area of competence into a place that plays to all their faults, the other connives his way out of a place where he can't succeed into the very position with which the other is so uncomfortable.

(^)

I pretty much agree with all of that.

I actually think his deal is that he places far too much emphasis on relating to others.

Indeed, but I think the reason he (to a fault) does such is he so desperately wants to be liked/accepted by others. From what little we have been told, he didn't have a good childhood on either a parenting or a peer/social level; so now that he has a bit of power he tries to use it's little "influences" to gain favor by assuming people have to look up to him (just because they have to listen to him on some level). He tries to be/appear as a "cool boss", "regardless" of his position. It usually backfires, but to certain characters (in specific situations), what he's trying to do reads through.

--That convention thing is funny. Reminds me of Lebowski Fest. (A thread about such can be found in the Cantina I believe.)

Personally I love when Jim tries to scrunch down in the car so Karen won't see him, and makes frustrated gestures at the camera, which ends up blowing his cover.

That, and the "Directed by Joss Whedon" byline, his second for this series. Pardon me for crossing the threads, but I just can't get enough of him yet.

Personally I love when Jim tries to scrunch down in the car so Karen won't see him, and makes frustrated gestures at the camera, which ends up blowing his cover.

That, and the "Directed by Joss Whedon" byline, his second for this series. Pardon me for crossing the threads, but I just can't get enough of him yet.

This episode was directed by Joss Whedon? I didn't know that.

I know Joss did the halloween episode. Was that business school? Can't remember.

anyway, just stopping by to say hey to my fellow Office lovers!!

This is one of the greatest shows of all time. I also loved that they started this season out with hour long episodes, then they just completely cut me back to 30 min. again, I was deeply disappointed.

I'm a big fan of Wedon's as well, even tho I haven't commented in the thread on his new series. I'm not one of those "rabid" fans, but I love lots of his work and if his name is attached to it, I'll give anything a shot (of course the same can be said of a few directors and writers).

Another great week with many great lines. I almost died when Andy told Stanley that he would miss him "cause [he's] been like an older uncle to [him]...kind of like an Uncle Remus." :lol:

[Micheal trying to talk Jim into distracting Jan by taking her to a motel and having sex with her] : "...just climb on top of her and think of Stanley!"..."If this is it for me, promise me one thing...Host the Dundies!"

And once again we had Michael doing something completely stupid that ended up working in his favor and impressing others. His "love" for/attachment to Stanley (who doesn't even really like him), and the lengths he was willing to go to cemented Stan's decision to stay.

Recently, I've blown through ALL the episodes of The Office and just couldn't stop watching! I had seen episodes here and there before and really liked them, but had never really pursued the show until now. Love it. Absolutely genius, and much like with Dexter I'm sad that I'm caught up and having to wait a week in between episodes.

So far with Season 4 I've really liked it. This is on of those shows that could probably hold it's own with a "Quotes from The Office Thread". There's literally hundreds out there that are all hilarious.

Really nothing much to comment on; I'm glad Jim and Pam are together, just because it was so obvious they were going to end up together from the start. Always goo to see a set up followed by a pay-off :p

Definitely another series I look forward to each week :thumbsup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.