The Office

Mara Jade Skywalker

I did (went out last night, but recorded it and watched it when I got in).

So far I really like how they are handling the Jim/Pam thing with the "we're trying to hide it from the rest of our co-workers" run. It seems to work out well and allows them to be semi-smug toward everyone else, the way they kind'a always have been.

Perhaps I'll have a few more comments after I re-watch it.

I think it's because Toby is divorced. He's always giving him **** about it. Toby had everything Michael ever wanted and he lost it. Or something.

Anyway, season four premier, two thumbs way up! So much great stuff. Too much to comment on right now, I'm going to bed because my nipples are bleeding.

Toby is HR. So A) he's the one that usually has to reel Michael in and B) he reports to Corporate. So Michael is not actually Toby's boss and he resents the fact that he doesn't have the same power over Toby as all the others.

Yeah, and he especially resents that Toby is always the one to shoot down his ideas because they're not in the budget, they're a waste of company time, they're insensitive, etc.

I see. That makes sense, but I just thought it might've been something a little more personal. :shrug:

I loved how they set up Ryan to be the new pebble in Michael's shoe. Methinks he's gonna be an enemy of the state soon. :p

On the flip side.....I know some of you are jumping up and down giggling over the Jim/Pam thing, and maybe it's just my cynical side, but things can't be great for long. Somethings gonna happen....I can sense it in the Force. :hmm:

Meh. She's served her purpose. A follow-up episode to find out what happened to Karen and that's about it.

Though I do like the idea of Roy and her getting together. Symmetrical.

(P.S : Toby is far from bold. It's just that he knows it's his job to curb Michael's excesses when possible and everyone else sees their jobs as to give in to Michael whenever they've been sufficiently pushed. The reason I think we all find Toby so much fun is that he's always in the highly comical position of being in conflict with Michael which is the sort of opportunity most of the other characters only get from time to time. He gets to be in the spot where the show stores its second level of laughs : not just the characters being idiots but the reaction of others to that idiocy.)

(P.P.S "That's Buddhism." "Are you sure?" *pause* "No.")

Yes! That was great. Was she kidding, or does she really not know? She probably doesn't. Another awesome thng, Darryl playing with the squirrel!

On the flip side.....I know some of you are jumping up and down giggling over the Jim/Pam thing, and maybe it's just my cynical side, but things can't be great for long. Somethings gonna happen....I can sense it in the Force. :hmm:

Oh shut it!!! Hey don't be mad at me, I'm just doing Michael. OMG, that's what she said! Anyway, don't say that! No, say it, I don't care because even if something bad happens it'll still be hilarious. It can stay the way it is now for a little while, with them trying to hide it. PB&J, man that's awesome. My boyfriend and I were watching it for a second time and he said that an old friend of his used to call him and this other cat PB&J. He's always had the nickmane "Pud" ever since elementary school when his teacher started calling him Puddles for falling asleep in class all the time and the other guy was Johnny so they were Pud Boy and Johnny. Lame I know. But then he said OMG were PB&J and too! And it was the hottest and sexiest thing I've ever heard and I swear to god I had sex with him right in the chair he was sitting in. It ended with Michael puking and everything.

I don't know why. You can totally deleted that Torchy.

Thoughts after re-watching it (seeing as how I was half out-of-it my first-go round):

I see. That makes sense, but I just thought it might've been something a little more personal. :shrug:

IMO, that's [the explanations above, which I agree with] what makes it personal.

Toby is the one cat in the office that Michael can't control (which drives him nuts), so he feels the need to try and undermine him in front of everyone by any means necessary (including personal attacks about his private life, like his divorce and such) just to shoot him down (which, of course, isn't needed). As usual, Micheal doesn't get it (in a social or a business context). It becomes a "Who's got the most power in the office?" element for Michael. It's totally his character.

I loved how they set up Ryan to be the new pebble in Michael's shoe. Methinks he's gonna be an enemy of the state soon. :p

He sort'a always was such. He was just putting in his hours 'til he could "graduate" to a larger position. Now he's achieved such and we get to watch him struggle with it.

On the flip side.....I know some of you are jumping up and down giggling over the Jim/Pam thing, and maybe it's just my cynical side, but things can't be great for long. Somethings gonna happen....I can sense it in the Force.

I'm not doing Jack. As noted, I love the tension more than anything else cause it seems more "real" to me. Granted, a lot of the fans of this show aren't in it for the deadpan humor we all seem to enjoy. There's actually a following that are in it for the "Romantic" angle. I just think the development will be interesting.

I could rip on Jami's guy's personal story so hard with commentary, but I'm not gonna'. (At least not at the moment.) Plus, such wouldn't get me the bonus elements of the story her BF received. :p

Other great quotes:

[About the accident]

Michael: "Yes, it was on company property with company property, so, 'double jeopardy', we are fine."

Ryan: "I don't think you understand how 'jeopardy' works."

Michael: "Oh, right...What is 'we are fine?'"

[Describing Rabies]

"...it is truly the silent killer... No, it is the foaming, barking killer!"

Another run it seems they may be making : Dwight vs. Andy for Angela's love? That would be hysterical.

What? Dwight versus Andy for Angela? Huh?

Asides from the nipple-chafing (loved the sight gag towards the end of the race) I don't think there even was much of Ed Helms in this episode. Where are you getting this from?

It's prolly just a over-observation, but Andy was the only person who directly went up to Angela and made a point to privately express his condolences over her loss. She and Dwight are on the outs (at least they are at the end of this episode). Last season (when Andy moved to Scranton and asked Jim the details of all the females in the office) it seemd like Angela was a prime candidate, and nothing's changed since then really.

And I've been a fan of Helms since he was a "corespondent" on The Daily Show. He did one piece on drinking and guns (the new law in AZ or somewhere that made it illeagal to carry a firearm into a bar) that was hysterical. But, this is kind of an ensamble show. We can't expect all the side-characters to get enough screen time unless they are directly involved in one of the plot lines.

BTW, the shirts and wristbands Michael had made for the 5K "Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run For The Cure are actually available for purchase at NBC.com . :lol:

5k tee

Wristband

Schrute Beets Farms tee

Yeah. Helms is great. I kind of think his character has lost a bit of the funny since they merged the branches.

Does anyone else read Creed's blog at the website? "Don’t try telling me that you’re only as strong as your weakest link. My weakest link is my ankle and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let it stop me. I’m as strong as my neck, the strongest part of my body." Come on. Go read it.

I can't remember if I or anyone else noted this in the Season 3 thread, but you guys do know that the basis for Creed's character is the true background of the guy who plays him (Creed Bratton), right?

I'll explain that with details if needed.

Sure. For one thing : I think any references to his past as a musician (which might only be in deleted scenes, know that I think of it) is just a reference to his real life history.

In general, this might also be true of any of the other characters who are played by the show's writers. I know that the actress who plays Kelly has a blog ("Stuff I Bought") which makes her come off like a slightly smarter version of herself. Which I think she actually admits to somewhere in one of the entries.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.