Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bloodletting

33 replies to this topic

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

Describe myself in one word. Sanguine. I am concentrated. I need to be diluted before consumption. I should be filtered. Well I am myself I can be no one else. You love me or you hate me or you must not have met me. People become infatuated with me, hapless victims are drawn to me. You will love me for a week, a month, a year but not much longer than that.
I am concentrated. I am the loud music that makes you lose your hearing. I am the heat that makes you immune to sensation. I am the concentration that makes you numb. I am too loud, too bright, too excited, too much, too me. Not all the time, sometimes I can keep it on level. Unfortunately sometimes my crazy, my ME, gets to be too much. Too much to handle, too much to contain in my 5 foot 5 frame. The crazy spills over and out. I cannot contain it, it runs amuck. I start acting out.
The crazy spills out of my mind into my mouth over my tongue past my teeth and into the street. Sometimes it comes flying out of my clenched fists. I try to control it. I am not very good at it to the casual observer my crazy is plain for all to see. I'm loud and brash. A little too loud a little too bright almost brittle. I try to contain it. And most of the time I can control it, it being ME. But I am like a 2 liter bottle of coke, leave me alone and I am just fine but sometimes if something shakes me up I start to roil and fester and eventually what fit just fine before will never contain me! I must escape and spew forth.
I can usually feel it coming on. I start to dwell. I start to rebel and I snap. It builds and builds I try in little ways to ease the pressure. I write. I sing. I laugh. I talk. I scream. I cry. I weep. I sleep. I think. Sometimes what worked the last time will not work again. I have met cutters before recognized their need. Identified their scars. I cannot do it. I cannot hurt myself. I can hurt others but I have run out of others to hurt.
So I do not cut. But I understand the need to let the blood run. I understand that need very well because of the times when the crazy gets to be too much. I know the feeling when my skin does not fit. When even breathing feels wrong. Like my self is about to split open and my insides will spill out like every flavor jellybeans and lay across the carpet like sweet confetti. But I cannot cut. I understand the need.

I found a way around the cutting a way to let the crazy out. A way to drain my ill humours. I have scars that no one questions or looks at me oddly for. Strangers admire my dedication to others. Praise me for my unselfish good deeds. And my crazy laughs a little too loudly. If I had several small silver scars on the insides of my wrists those same flattering strangers would look at me with pity and some with disgust. Soo hard to explain those sliver scars on the inside of a thigh or the outside of a rib. But how admirable to display one on my chest or the inside of the bend of my elbow. A scar to show how much I care. A scar to bear proudly. Nevermind the reason behind the scar. No need to look questioningly at a scar that I have no need to hide. The best place to hide is in the wide open. I found a way to let the crazy out and leave my self whole.

I do wonder as I watch the scar reopen to greet the sweet sting. I do wonder as I watch the blood start to flow. I wonder as I clench my fist. Does the crazy fade as it loses body heat? Does the crazy die as it slowly cools? Or does it lay in wait and glaum unto the poor weak soul that receives it? I found a way to help myself but I wonder if I am helping or hurting others. Unclench my fist, maybe I should ask if they still have those stickers. The ones you choose if you fear your blood is unsafe for others. What would this nice young man named Michael think if I told him I only donate blood to bleed my crazy? Would he laugh? Would he assume I was unstable? If I explained to Michael that the only reason I donate with such regularity is that upon pawning off a pint of my personal poison I walk out feeling light and free. Sane for another eight weeks.

I wonder about the people who receive my blood what happens to them. Do they become more like me? Would my veins call to them if we passed in the street? Blood to blood like to like. Does the blood I fear find a gracious host in a new body? I never take the cookies or the juice. I practically skip out of the building I feel so carefree. Actually it is usually more of a fast walk, after all I want to get out of there before they make me take it back. If I were to one day be ineligible to donate I might have to take up the cutting. But that would be so many scars for so little blood. Such a small relief. Maybe I could raise leaches?

I can tell when it is time. I have tried to not do it but I end up hating the face in the mirror. I have ugly thoughts all the time but usually I don't act on the voices suggestions. When I find myself giving the suggestions serious thought then I know it has been too long. Time to let the blood run.

Edited by brutoole, 11 September 2007 - 01:56 PM.

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
Wow. The inside of my elbows tingled and I squirmed through the last bit of this. I normally don't have a problem with blood but the systematic process of donating blood has never sat well with me. *squirms some more*

And my crazy laughs a little too loudly. <-- this line was fantastic. Let me tell you... I've had my days. ;)

Great piece! Definitely evoked an emotional response from me. You may want to think about changing your font or taking off the bold tags. I have to c/p it to my wordpad to read it. Otherwise my eyes went all crossed. o_O

Edit; look, you already changed it! Or, I'm going insane. Either way... ;)

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts
YOU were squirmy about blood???

The editing is hating me tonight. I will keep trying to make it more reader friendly :)

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

YOU were squirmy about blood???

Hey, just because I routinely write about evisceration does not mean I don't get squirmy when needles are involved. ;)

:thumbsup: Again, great bit of fic. :D

Hmm. Quick edit: You didn't by any chance make it to Dragon*Con this year, did you?

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

Hmm. Quick edit: You didn't by any chance make it to Dragon*Con this year, did you?

Uhmm no. You must have me confused with someone cool :( What makes you ask?

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
No reason. My friend made it to the Con and met a cool chica from Texas. C'est tous.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Two grammatical points first. 1) WAY more need for periods and semicolons in this piece. There are a lot of run-on thoughts that need a bit more breaking up. 2) Put spaces between paragraphs (Richcelt's Rules #2). Nightly does not recognize indentations.

Other than that, this was a really well done piece. Yeah, I get a bit sqeemish around blood too. However, this was an interesting alternative.

Unfortunately it's also a good argument for NOT getting a blood transfusion. *shiver* :P

Good job. :thumbsup:

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

My friend made it to the Con and met a cool chica from Texas

Alas it was not me. One of my favorite victims of stalkerage was there. ~ le sigh ~he is soo dreamy.

Two grammatical points first. 1) WAY more need for periods and semicolons in this piece. There are a lot of run-on thoughts that need a bit more breaking up. 2) Put spaces between paragraphs (Richcelt's Rules #2). Nightly does not recognize indentations.

hmmm. I will try to add the spaces. I see the spaces when I edit but not when I post?!?!?!?!
Not sure if I am going to break it up, I kinda want the reader to feel a little off kilter. Thanks! Also grammar and I got into a fight a few years ago and the relationship has never been the same since.

Edited by brutoole, 13 September 2007 - 09:24 PM.

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
a major LOL @ "Richcelt's Rules."

this is pretty cool, brutoole. I liked how "the crazy" was almost a character of its own.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts

a major LOL @ "Richcelt's Rules."

Hey, it's handy. For the few new people who haven't written stories on boards like this, it's helpful. Again, they're not rules, persay, as suggestions, but they are the rules by which I do my own writing, and they've worked for me. And most others follow them on their own just out of their own experience, without ever haveing read my "rules". But for those who don't, this is a guide that suggests what to do, and why, and prevents me from haveing to repeat myself every time I see a new person enter a story here using conventional writing practices.

If you think it's an ego trip or something, that's your problem. Personally, it's my way to be helpful. :P

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
It's cool bro. I just think you're a trip sometimes. In an LOL way though not like a T-Square way.

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
I thought the grammar 'mistakes' were on purpose. At first when it appeared to be a complete chunk of text, I thought it exemplified very well the overbearing personality she was trying to get across to the reader.

I kind of liked it better that way. o_O

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

I did too! I'm changing it BACK!

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

I did too! I'm changing it BACK!

*snickers* You go, girl!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
:eek:

Hold up! Brutoole is a woman? I totally thought she was a dude. In fact, I had a sneaky suspicion that she was a Chatham writing alias.

Huh, I never made the connection.

As for the story, it rocked. The second paragraph is especially awesome. :thumbsup: It really ropes you in. You really let your creativity run in this story. >;-P

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

I totally thought she was a dude.

!!A DUDE!!! Not sure, what I think about that.

ElfinYoda

ElfinYoda

Oh my god Becky, look at her Big Book...

• Members
  • 7,184 posts
Wow, that was awesome Brutoole!! I did have to read it twice though because of the way its laid out, but other than that, very coolio!! :)

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,900 posts
Ok, this probably my favorite non-basil work to ever be posted on here. Brava! I think you hit "the crazy" right on. Perfectly.

Where in Texas are you?

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
she's good at the crazy and you're suddenly all interested.

lol at your relationships, reese.

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
I COULDN'T RESIST.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,900 posts
Correction....relationship. It's just the one that makes me insane.

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Correction....relationship. It's just the one that makes me insane.

Was it the first one? The first one will always f*ck you up. For a long time. Like for life.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,900 posts
Nah. The first one was a cakewalk compared to this 7 year fiasco. But things are looking up.

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts
THANKS THANKS THANKS!

Where in Texas are you?

Between Corpus and Houston.

The first one will always f*ck you up. For a long time. Like for life.

Cackle! I totally agree.

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
The only bad thing I can say about this piece is I find that font really hard to read, and the lack of spaces only made it more difficult.

This is really good! A very fascinating point of view and different approach to blood doning. And I love all the descriptions you use :thumbsup:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
This compact little story held quite the punch. Very tight, not an extra word was used. Very good visuals, and way to create a mood! Nice job, brutoole. Once again, I am impressed.

Reply to this topic