Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What this Forum Needs...

25 replies to this topic

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Currently it reads: Come here for Book Club contests!

Now I don't know about you guys, but this is the Amphitheatre, right? Well, if this is the place where we supposedly wow the world with our raw, uninhibited worldly talents as undiscovered artists then we should have something a little snazzier than, 'hay guys we do teh writtings here'

Agreed?

So, ideas anyone?

ps. mara is teh awesome I love her to pieces and I hope she can forgive me.

Edited by Copper, 06 September 2007 - 11:09 AM.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
I'm sorry that I couldn't come up with a snazzier description. I've failed you all. :cry:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Well, crap.

that wasn't my intention at all.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Lol! I'm just joking.

I never intended for that to be the permanent description anyway. We do need a better one!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Mara blinked first. :P (unless Copper wasn't joking back at Mara's joking ... )

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I am always 100% serious.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I know.

But I do not approve.

Anyway, getting back on topic, this is a good idea. I'll think of some suggestions.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Better watch it, sir, or I'll rock your socks!

ahem.

getting back on topic...

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,596 posts

'hay guys we do teh writtings here'

I'm a fan of this, personally...

Or maybe TEH WRITINS WE GOTS EM OMGZLOLZ!!!111!!

Yep :lol:

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,900 posts

TEH WRITINS WE GOTS EM OMGZLOLZ!!!111!!

Yup. Winner. Right there.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
No.

"My writings. Let me show you them."

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
Posted Image

HAY GUISE I'M A WRITAR LOL

ElfinYoda

ElfinYoda

Oh my god Becky, look at her Big Book...

• Members
  • 7,184 posts
Poems, stories and wordplay... oh my!

Aye, a bit lame, twas all I could think of!

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
"WE IN UR FORUMS! WE WRITIN' UR STORYZ!"

(yeah, I suck at that, but you get the idea.)

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Ok. If I’m going to invest 2,000 man-hours in the world’s most labor intensive banner, then a new forum description MUST be worked out. At least a couple of times in the past, I’ve read posts by Son of Lucas about how the amphitheatre turned out to be an abject failure.

W-h-a-t?

Obviously, he comes around the Book Club once or twice a month, sees the Amphitheatre sub forum and then notices that there have been no new posts for two or three weeks. Naturally, he assumes it is dead because he doesn’t understand how it works. I bet a lot of other non-regular members and guests skip over it because they think the same thing.

I think I would drop the solution is to drop whole “contest” angle and bill it as a kind of repository for our fiction. Sure, stories battle here, but amphitheaters of the past weren’t always a place where blood and guts were spilled. You went there to see a show. Watch a play. Whatever. So yeah. I think the Amphitheatre should be re-tooled as a place for ALL Book Club fiction. The contest stuff would continue to be posted here, but other stories would end up here too - after a run in the main forum.

But.

That’s just me.

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
but... what would go in the actual forum? I mean, book discussion, obviously... but nightly fiction makes up a huge percentage of the posts made. It just seems like if we were to do that BOTH forums would end up looking a little sparse.

also, I think we should change the description to A VERITABLE PANTHEON OF PENMANSHIP

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Yeah, I suppose that's true.

In reality, I've always secretly been on Sonny's side regarding the Amphitheatre ... I still think a lot of these stories would catch more reader's eyes if they weren't segregated away in a special chunk of Nightly.

But it's here.

And it works well enough.

I just find it kinda odd that we have half of our collective stories in the Amphitheatre and the other half in the main forum. More than once in the past, I've clicked and double-clicked through tons of backpages looking for a specific piece of fiction, only to discover that it was in the opposite forum.

What was that?

Something about the marvels of the search feature?

SHUTUP.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Typically I'm of the mindset of change = bad, at least for nightly, but I've gotten used to it since there has been so much around here lately. They're training me. But that's a whole different post.

I was very skeptical of the Amphitheatre's usefullness in the beginning. But then I saw that it served its purpose quite well. I was of the mindset that all of the writing we did would be lost in the endless wasteland known as a SUBFORUM.

So... that being said... I really don't think we should put all of our writing in here. I think that The Book Club and The Amphitheatre strike a nice balance, and I am very very afraid to mess with that balance.

So, in summary-- change = bad.

oh, and the Nightly search feature is basically terrible.

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. Son of Lucas' insantity aside, this subforum has worked and does work and serves a very good purpose. What I didn't see at the time was that when a contest came along all of the other threads in the main forum were shoved down and lost in the noise. Now, when there is a contest there is not as much disruption towards people who might not care about the contest. So I think things are perfect as they are now. Meanwhile I haven't seen a noticable depreciation in the replies that each contest story gets.

Having said that, I would love to see a description change and I am enamored with the work you have done on the banners Antilla!

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
hey. whoa. i already claimed antilla's forum-babies.

back off, biatch.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Oh dear ...

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Well.

we have a new forum description!

and apparently shadowdog is still the moderator of the amphitheatre...

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Whenever I see this thread from the Book Club and the main index, it reads "What this forum needs..."

IS MORE COW BELL.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
THAT was the intention!

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
WOOOO!