Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, were I still unemployed I'd keep at it, but I don't have the time for something that long-winded.

I picked up Cassandra Clare's City of Bones. I have a soft spot for fanfic authors who make it big with their original stories. I also have a soft spot for authors who are otaku.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gave up on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, were I still unemployed I'd keep at it, but I don't have the time for something that long-winded.

WHHHHYYY!! It's set in York! YORK! Thats where I live (although only for another month or so). I've been to all these places. I drink in Ye Olde Starr Inne!!

Realistically though I can see why, I have just got it on audiobook, which helps a lot with these kinds of books. Much nicer to have read to you than to read yourself

• 2 weeks later...

Kraken, by China Mieville. Probably a little more than halfway through. Any book that references LOLcats, has a working Star Trek phaser, and centers around a squid worshipping cult and the end of the world gets an A from me. It's reminiscent of Neverwhere, but funnier.

• 4 weeks later...

I Googled that book because it sounded familiar and I think I have read something similar by that author. I don't remember a lot of details, but I do remember it being an engaging read. I'd love for you to pop back in with a review.

D.E. Johnson's The Detroit Electric Scheme. The library's summer reading club is all kinds of switched up this year. 15 books of all genres with the theme of "Good and Evil" (and where the lines blur), with events themed on each book. I'm reading through the books I haven't read already. A lot have been on my "to read" list for years.

And Icy has an awesome library. I would love a themed summer reading club. My library just enters you into a prize drawing if you read a certain number of books. I'd rather they give some suggestions.

All our reading clubs have been like that so far, but at least the city has some cool prizes. This is the first time I've seen this format. I'm... torn. You don't sign up for anything, and I like the "belonging-ness" of being on a roster. You just have a list of recommendations, read whatever you want from them, and if you want to attend some of the events, you do. They have author's meet-and-greets, lectures, movies, even a "mini ComicCon" (one of the books is Batman: Year One). Which is cool.

The Detroit Electric Scheme started kind of slow (after the initial crime scene), but it's really picking up. I'm halfway through right now :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished The Candy Store Conspiracy by Bill Robusto, a co-worker and friend. At times a little insider-y (that doesn't hinder the story, and he does a great job explaining the industry and its role to those unfamiliar. Brando will especially appreciate it) but a pretty straight-ahead race-against-the-clock kind of suspense novel, from the early Aughts and days of Homeland (in)Security. A good read. (Out of print, but he said he's looking to get a Kindle edition out.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.