Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Guest REVROSWELL

"Author Charles Frazier has turned a Civil War tale of a Confederate soldier into a best-selling book "

Cold Mountain is the name and I am still on the first chapter. Its a very good book. The movie has Jodie Foster in it so it has to be good too!

rr

You're thinking of Jodie Foster and Richard Gere's Sommersby (which is based on a really good little book called The Wife of Martin Guerre by Janet Lewis, but the movie was really only so-so for me). Cold Mountain stars Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger (and Jude Law as Inman). Enjoy! Cold Mountain is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite movies. I even used it in my Classics capstone project (I used Martin Guerre/Sommersby, too).

It's great and I am again learning to relax with a book instead of thinking I should be improving myself or learning something from reading. Hey after reading your reply I went to Block buster and rented (well bought a used version) of Cold Mountain and it was fantastic, Tom Cruise is a fool for losing Kidman and the part she played is a fantasy piece in a nice way. Thanks for the advice Iceheart.

I have to confess I sent off for Michael J. Behe, PhD William A. Dembski, PhD Stephen C. Meyer PhD new non fiction, its a pro intelligent design book from (finally) a brace of PhD's ; 'Science and Evidence for Design in the Universe'. Whethersfield Institute Proceedings. Maybe the ID movement could gain some credibility if more projects such as the Whethersfield Institute were undertaken.

rr

I am slowly making my way through the passage. I love the book so far and normally I would just keep reading but for some reason I have to stop a lot because ??????? I mean I read Under the Dome by Stephen King in two weeks, but I've been on the Passage for a month and everyone who knows me I don't fool around when I read and think I don't like the book and that is not true. It is pretty damn good.

I randomly grabbed Manhunt by Janet Evanovich off the shelf today at work and whipped through it this evening. It was my first Evanovich, and I have to say that if that's what she writes like in all of her books, I can't really understand how she's such a popular author. Character cliches (he's SSSSOOOOO handsome, she's SSSSSOOOOO pretty, pretty much everybody else is SSSOOOOO ugly/boring), plot cliches, inane dialogue, blah diddy blah blah blah. It was just so unoriginal and formulaic... I felt like I was reading a Debbie Macomber. Sadness :(

Icy, did you hear she has some new books out? Apparently they're books about Diesel, from the holiday series. I don't enjoy the holiday books as much but I'm willing to check it out. I haven't read the romance novels.

I just finished up Stone of Tears and I just got Blood of the Fold. There was a definite increase in disturbing things in book 2. I'm taking these one at a time instead of fulling dedicating myself to them, because I do hear they get fairly graphic. The guy who told me he couldn't keep reading them is a bit of a prude, but I'm wondering if I'm going to make it! I almost feel dirty reading certain parts.

Guest REVROSWELL

Well, what I said about reading Under the Dome next is apparently a lie. I'm reading Club Dead, The Chemistry and Characteristics of Explosive Materials, and The Big Bang: A History of Explosives. (Yes, at once.)

Cool! I love explosives and pyrotechnics, well I like to read about them. As a child I made my own black powder, and I was hooked. I thought about trying to make some gun-cotton about two years ago to remove a few stumps on my property, but my girlfirend convinced me not to try it, and I agreed. It's amazing what a couple of acids and a 'binder' can do eh? Are you a professional or just like the subject, if you don't mind me asking ?

rr

• 2 weeks later...
:hmm: Bad. Even for Rand, Anthem was positively terrible.
Yeah, definitely not the pinnacle of her talents. It was a painful slog, and opposite my experience with all other Rand: hated the first two acts, highly enjoyed the final act.

Currently reading Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. Ho-hum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.