Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

I am 627 pages deep into Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford. It has been slow going. All in all, probably should have just been satisfied with the excellent mini-series and left the book well enough alone.

However, a mark in its favour is the book's Old Faithful-ish ability to continually spout forth a cool word every two or three pages --- chiefly being outdated slang, Yorkshire regional vocabulary, materiel of the WWI era army, Frenchiness, or what dresses and foods and stuff used to be made of and stuff. For the sake of future generations here are some of those words for you why not : placket, serge, almoner, exordium, maussade, soggart, capercailzies, pi-jaw, divvy, garret, cretonne, gravid, byre, kedgeree, sloe gin, Gitana girl, haulms, maslie slots, niblick, hustings, epergne, galantine, attaindered, missel thrush, spikenard, stile, haw, ammer, sainfoin, paigle, burdock, briony, clematis, mullein, glaucous, paulo-post, ingle, constation, oasts, fleed cakes, ostler, matutinal, divagations, ormolu, expatiate, squits, asticoteries, rum-negused, quiff, quitamer, snaffled, hobbledehoys, Napoo finny, atrabilarian, gazetted, cully, begumboiled, moil, farriery, crape, cachinnating, fugally, lummy, Ghibelline, immure, baize, purdah, roan, crepitating, beanfeast, corncrake, reticule, aubade, puttees, euonymous, accouchement, parados, toper, obrieties, damascened, bully-beef, chevaline, peach (as in "to peach"), brise, nave, cagoules, revetted, catamount, diminuendo, agglomerations, objurgations.

I'm looking forward to seeing the miniseries. GUESS WHY?

I didn't know it was a book. Sounds like I should just revel in the period drama-ness and excellent casting of the miniseries and call it good.

I'm finally reading Winter of the World. I have a love/hate relationship with Follet's villains. They're George R. R. Martin level despicable, and he kills them off about as frequently.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just Netflixed an entire season of Miss FIsher's Murder Mysteries (je a'dore) and am starting on the books. The books are well written fun but I still for once liked the television production better than the books!

Also i just learned what "ship" means. What a weird turn of phrase.

There's actually a whole website devoted to this "art". Cozy mysteries are a genre of the crime fiction where the actual gruesome crime and sex are toned down and the approach is more humorous. Think Jessica Fletcher of Murder, She Wrote fame from Cabot Cove or even Miss Marple. Even takes place in a small community and the detective is a local and not a professional.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.