Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

I gave up on Lucien Leuwen (so boring! no good bits!) and moved to Iain M. Banks' The Hydrogen Sonata. In preparation for it I quickly re-read all but three of his Culture novels and have noticed a few recurring favourite words of his : inchoate, spinnaker, accrete. So there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Universal Baseball Association Inc., J. Henry Waugh Prop. by Robert Coover. It was excellent. It's a novel about an old guy that's created his own fantasy league of baseball players that he meticulously gameplays, rolling dice for every moment of each game and every detail of each player. It avoids the sort of cliches that this sort of scenario brings to mind and does what it does simply and beautifully. It kind of reminded me of Philip K. Dick (plot-wise, the style is very different) especially the turn it takes at the end. The last chapter is a killer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm towards the end of Palafox by Eric Chevillard and it is pretty good. The book is like "What if Moby Dick was some combination of Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner and a really French guy was narrating the action?" and I kind of think it would make a good movie. As long as the movie had a CGI SFX budget of twenties and thirties of millions of dollars in order to do a rendering of the title character justice.

Have almost finished Clockwork Angels. Having only been familiar with Kevin J. Anderson through his Star Wars works (which have never been my favorites), I wasn't sure what to expect. Being based on the latest album by my favorite band, Rush (that is, the story/lyrics of drummer Neil Peart), however, intrigued me enough to check it out. Not blown away exactly, but it's certainly been worth the trip to the library. :)

cracking the spine on The Hobbit. Haven't read this since high school. Also, reading a collection of short stories titled Moonlight and Vines by Charles de Lint. If you've never read de Lint, you should. His quality of writing is very literary but his stories are a melding of folklore, urban legend, magical realism and horror. He is a true modern classic.

• 1 month later...

For anyone who has watched the movie previews for Beautiful Creatures and wonder what the hell the storyline might be, it's basically gender bent Twilight.

But while it's not the best book ever, it is on the upper end of quality for YA paranormal romance.

I am so close to being finished with The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan. "Why, Cashmere," you might ask, "Why would you put yourself through that after RC's scathing review and recommendation to burn it with fire?" Well the answer is that my library had it right on the shelf at a time when I needed another book for the challenge, so I figured that review counted as "hearing bad things" about it.

It sucks. A lot. But it's getting slightly better as the climax approaches.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway through George R. R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons. I wasn't a huge fan of the way he split this and the last book, so that an entire novel went by without some of my favorite characters and then I had to "catch up". Likewise, the beginning of this book was odd, too, because it essentially went back in time to the beginning of the previous book. Thankfully, this far in, it's no longer really a problem. And though it's not the format I would have chosen, it really doesn't stop this from probably being my favorite fantasy series ever.

Is it wrong that A Song of Ice and Fire has fairly well surpassed Tolkien's works in my heart?

I am listening to Just Kids by Patti Smith. She also reads the book.

I have been fighting the urge to smash my ipod for days now. She is incapable of pronouncing even her most commonly used words correctly, even when you cut her some slack for her NYC accent.

Two of the most grating examples:

drawling (referring to making marks on paper with a writing utensil rather than speaking in a Southern accent)

Fur-tography???

Come on lady, you've lived your whole life as artist surrounded by people who do these two things regularly and you still haven't made even the slightest effort to learn how to say them?!?!

Also, I didn't really know who she was when I started the book, and about half of the people she mentions in the book I have never heard of. Looking forward to it being over!

• 3 weeks later...

RATS: Observations on the history and habitat of the city's most unwanted inhabitants by Robert Sullivan

It is non-fiction. For the contest. (I've had it for a long time- it's the kind of non-fiction I like, engaging, specific, and somewhat icky)

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.