Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Finished Count Zero yesterday evening. Finally!

Started The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford last night.

Geez, I've not updated since April? Well, I finished The Undercover Economist in June, and I've read Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit, Brett McKay's The Art of Manliness and George Gamow's Gravity in the meantime. I started Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff this week.

Favorite? Well, that's a tough one. I guess it would be The Art of Manliness. I read it in one afternoon. It has lots of good tips for being manly instead of macho. I bought it for the tips on fashion for men, but it has lots of other great information, including how to get a better shave and 19th century street fighting (no kidding)! Also parenting tips, recommended father-child activities, and how to break up with a girl (I skipped that section, since I don't need it).

I'm finally a good ways into Stendhal's Scarlet and Black and Julien Sorel is such a Mary Sue character it is unbelievable. Oh he has magic Bible memory powers and everyone loves him and he looks so handsome in his new clothes give me a break.

Favorite? Well, that's a tough one. I guess it would be The Art of Manliness. I read it in one afternoon. It has lots of good tips for being manly instead of macho. I bought it for the tips on fashion for men, but it has lots of other great information, including how to get a better shave and 19th century street fighting (no kidding)! Also parenting tips, recommended father-child activities, and how to break up with a girl (I skipped that section, since I don't need it).

It sounds kind of like The Dangerous Book for Boys only for grownups. Cool!

And, R.C., you don't like completely perfect characters with convenient traits that make everything work out perfectly? Apparently you're not into much of the popular teen lit right now.

Nice to see you join the Game of Thrones club, Icy!

So I've taken a break from my gritty horrific crime mystery novels to read The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. My sister and I got the book at a local used book store that had the author do a guest Q&A, reading and signing. She was a very charismatic lady and I really liked her. So far the book is pretty darn good!

I have finished Scarlet and Black and am now about halfway through Charterhouse of Parma which has a main character named Fabrizio and there was a robot named Fabrizio on Futurama last week and so that is a thing that happened. The battle scenes at the beginning are aces but it kind of goes downhill after that. Next up : Lucien Leuwen.

• 1 month later...

Nice to see you join the Game of Thrones club, Icy!

I've been trying to join that club for awhile, now! I requested that book from the library on August 17th and I'm still only #17 on the list. :(

So, right now I'm reading See A Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody. It's the autobiography of Bob Mould, and if you know who that is...well, then you're cool! ;)

Very cool! My problem, Icey, is that I have too many things I want to read and too little time to actually read. So there are plenty of things that slip through the cracks or get put off 'til "someday". Someday isn't coming very quickly for Game of Thrones: I finished my other book a couple of days ago and I've only moved up one spot on the waiting list (now #16). Considering they have 18 copies in the system, my progress has been painfully slow. :no:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Catching Fire right now. President Snow seems to be the stupidest antagonist in the history of fiction. Or maybe he's actually trying to incite a rebellion. Either way, everything he's done so far has been counterproductive toward his stated goal of quelling the uprisings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.