Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

I've been reading Stephen King's 11-22-63. It's the only book of his that I've ever actually been able to read through.

I've always wanted to read through The Dark Tower, but I just can't make my way through his over-description and invented languages. This really doesn't have any of that. It mainly is about stopping the Kennedy assassination, but there's a whole lot of other fun stuff going on it too. I've been surprised at how cool it is to look at the late 50's and early 60's through the narrative of someone from 2011. Also, I won't spoil it, but there's a ton of fun stuff that plays with time travel paradoxes and the butterfly effects that certain degrees of changes can make.

Anyways, I totally recommend it. It's such a cool mix of history, sci-fi, and time travel.

I'm trying to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The story is good, but the way Foer writes the novel gets on my nerves so I don't know if I can finish it. He can have an entire page that is nothing but one long sentence. And I know he's writing it like it's the actual thoughts of the boy but it drives me insane.

That and the way he handles dialogue between characters. He puts it all in one paragraph and it is sometimes difficult to distinguish who is saying what.

YAY!!! I just did a happy dance, Icy! You made my day! :) Now I just hope you don't get too wierded out by all the craziness.

By "craziness", you mean violence against women, right? Was every Scottish guy a rapist in the 1700's? It is a good book, in spite of that. It's a slow read, tho, I'm maybe 3/4 through.

The violence isn't just against women. It's pretty violent all the way around. And just generally bizarre, of course.

If you keep going with the series, expect much more of the same!

I'm getting in to The Help now. I started reading it after watching the movie, and I was afraid it would be exactly the same. Now that I'm six or eight chapters in, I definitely like the book better.

*Please note that I watched the movie before I took the Read it First pledge.

I had a little extra time this morning, so I started The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff and was almost late to class. Then I came home and thought I'd sit and read for half an hour. Four hours later I finally tore myself away. It started slow, but it got better. I'm not impressed with her prose, and there have been a few times when I questioned if her editor read it or skimmed it, but I love the storyline.

I just finished Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua, and I couldn't put it down. It's a very controversial book because Chua is extremely strict with her children and ridicules self-esteem parenting. While I found her a bit extreme at times, I mostly agreed with her methods. It was an incredibly honest portrait of trying to raise children in a strict, traditionally Chinese way in lazy America :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now I'm reading An Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage. Like Catching Fire, but more about modern history and the influence quests for food have had on events. Currently I'm in the chapter on how the quest for spices in Europe helped drive the boom in exploration in the 15-16th centuries. Very interesting. We remember that Columbus was looking for a faster route to the Indies, but forget why he wanted to find a faster route - for spices.

Well, I've always had an interest in human evolution and history. I have a variety of books by Donald Johanson and Richard Leakey on hominids, and many history books. When Borders was having a sale, I loaded up with dozens of new titles for my library. I spotted Catching Fire and Edible History at Borders goin out of business sale, and honestly, I was just really hungry at the time, too. I don't know if I would have bought them if I weren't hungry! But they were good buys even so. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.