Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Twilight created a monster, didn't it? I won't read anything from the teen section of the library unless it's been highly recommended anymore :p

I'm reading Danielle Trussoni's Angelology, which is surprisingly good so far.

It's true! I'm pretty choosy about the teen section these days, but I can find good stuff if I have an hour to kill reading descriptions on the back of book jackets :)

I was pretty surprised when you told me about Angelology on Facebook--when I catalogued it at the library, it looked like it was on the border between interesting and stupid. You'll have to let me know if it continues to be good as you get further into it.

Please up the thread, and give us a play-by-play. Because I want to hear your thoughts on it :yes:

I'm still working through Angelology. The "second circle" was BORING and I broke to read Dead In The Family, but now it's picked up again. I'd say it's The Historian with angels, but this is readable. Not the best book ever written, but readable.

Just finished Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card.

This being the third book in the series, his progression into religious mania and bigotry is really sad to track -- especially since his prose was actually a bit more melodious (by comparison, by comparison) by the time this book came out. The ending is just odd... can't decide whether I love it or hate it, but that's fine.

There are so many brilliant concepts in this book (both physical and spiritual), and so many of them are viewed through a compassionate lens, it's hard to imagine that this same guy had begun preaching against homosexuals before the book was even published.

:no:

Welcome, Cuimhin!

I can't post there ! That thread talks about all four books and I've read only the first. I liked it very much and will continue to read the series on and dwell deeper into the mystery of the Temple of Bad Reviews.

Yeah, all four books plus The Host - in broken spoiler tags :p

Next up for me is Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, btw.

Why did you do that to yourself??? I told you not to! There are exactly two redeeming qualities to those books - one is that they served as inspiration for a badass tv show. Two is that they make Breaking Dawn seem reasonable and not stupid or gratuitous at all :lol:

I hope you've learned your lesson :p

Here, some consolation prizes:

http://languageisavirus.com/vampire-diaries/layouts/vampire-diaries/salvatore-brothers-stefan-damon.jpg

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID24005/images/resized_00558420842.jpg

Why did you do that to yourself??? I told you not to! There are exactly two redeeming qualities to those books - one is that they served as inspiration for a badass tv show. Two is that they make Breaking Dawn seem reasonable and not stupid or gratuitous at all :lol:

I hope you've learned your lesson :p

I have masochistic tendencies, apparently. But those were some wonderful consolation prizes :yes: I saw a commercial for the tv show yesterday and set it to DVR tonight, so I'll get back to you with my analysis of that!

Yeah, I can see how those books could make Twilight--and almost everything else--look good. I was trying to not be too judgmental going into it, but...

...as soon as Katherine pulled her little "I know you two hate each other but I'm going to turn you both immortal and we'll spend all of eternity together happy as clams" bit, acted surprised when they didn't like it, and then ran off sobbing and killed herself, I lost it :lol:

Wasn't Katherine an IDIOT??? I was like "wow... she must be fantastic in the sack, because who would want to keep her brainless ass around?" And I love how Stefan goes from brainstem blonde to Elena the manipulative bitch queen. All those centuries, and he never found his balls...

This is the first week of summer hiatus, so I hope you scored the pilot episode. If you didn't and you're lost, I can explain things for you. It's almost nothing like the books, yay!

And seriously, who even is like that in high school? I've never been somewhere where all the girls are that drop-dead gorgeous and there really is an acknowledged queen bee and one of the other girls actually confronts her about it and threatens to steal her throne. I was like "Good god..."

I got the pilot, so I was pretty thrilled! And OMG I can see why you're in love with Paul Wesley. Seriously.

I read the back of the second book in the series because I don't think I've ever started a series without finishing it, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it...

I know, right? There was a girl who was kind of Elena-like in my HS... she was a very pretty cheerleader who was kind of an acknowledged "queen bee", but she earned that status by being nice to EVERYONE. You don't get popular by being a rampaging bitch :hmm:

Hooray, you got the pilot! And yeah... I'm sure I'd be red shirt vampire bait if I were to move to Mystic Falls, but if everyone is so hot down there... I'd be half tempted ;)

I read the original four books. Books one and two when I was healthy (I got the two-book compilation, so why not, right?) and books 3 and 4 when I was laid up and whacked out on valium. Book four did pick up, probably because Elena was not the main character. But I read the dust jacket of the first book in the new Damon-centric sequel series, and I was like "no ****ing way" :puke: And I like Damon! In the tv show, at least...

Guest REVROSWELL

Skip the background stuff the orange font to see the book I am reading....

I am pretty much a non fiction guy but know I am doing myself a disservice by not reading fiction. The last time I was in jail (a long time ago, so long ago silence of the lambs had not been out long) it was a county jail for 120 days :eek:. No library, redneck vicious guards all on the take, I didn't have enough to give, one TV, no cable no store runs, (for me anyway),

I was going absolutely nutty because I have to read or get on the net, but just sitting around all day and night? Nuts...Anyway, I saw a real thick coverless book stuck to the floor where the stained steel john jutted out of the floor. I peeled it up and it was a (99%) intact silence of the lambs! It was a fantastic read! So thinking about my stay I bought a fiction book. Its by;

"Author Charles Frazier has turned a Civil War tale of a Confederate soldier into a best-selling book "

Cold Mountain is the name and I am still on the first chapter. Its a very good book. The movie has Jodie Foster in it so it has to be good too!

rr

"Author Charles Frazier has turned a Civil War tale of a Confederate soldier into a best-selling book "

Cold Mountain is the name and I am still on the first chapter. Its a very good book. The movie has Jodie Foster in it so it has to be good too!

rr

You're thinking of Jodie Foster and Richard Gere's Sommersby (which is based on a really good little book called The Wife of Martin Guerre by Janet Lewis, but the movie was really only so-so for me). Cold Mountain stars Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger (and Jude Law as Inman). Enjoy! Cold Mountain is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite movies. I even used it in my Classics capstone project (I used Martin Guerre/Sommersby, too).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with that one, Jolene. What genre is it?

I'm currently reading Treasure Island. I have never read it before, and it was cheap or free on the Kindle so I decided to give it a try.

It's been a slow go, though because Netflix has been distracting me from my reading time. I plan to remedy that June 16-26 when I'm on vacation. The over/under is at 8 for how many book I can finish during that time. Any takers?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.