Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Guest REVROSWELL

Reflections on Kurt Gödel by Hao Wang. I like Godel because he was a theist and a great if not the preeminent logician of the 20th century. The book is a good resource because it goes into more detail about Godels personal beliefs ie religion. However, the presentation could of been better. I don't agree that his ontological argument is good evidence for God, and would have liked to see him put more effort into his 'God' project, but his obsessive compulsive disorder which was similar to Howard Hughes mental problems hobbled his intellect in the mid and late years of his life. rr

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I can see why this is snapping Harry Potter fans up. It's very similar - engaging story and characters, and the writing is admittedly simple but not incredibly dumbed down (bonus points for throwing random Greek words and phrases in and not always translating them :lol:).

I was thinking about skipping over the movie and just reading the series. Sounds pretty interesting, at least.

Currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Really great read! Might start Scott Pilgrim next.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I can see why this is snapping Harry Potter fans up. It's very similar - engaging story and characters, and the writing is admittedly simple but not incredibly dumbed down (bonus points for throwing random Greek words and phrases in and not always translating them :lol:).

I was thinking about skipping over the movie and just reading the series. Sounds pretty interesting, at least.

I actually saw the movie first... it's a good movie for what it is, and if you want to enjoy it, see it before reading the book :p Much like Harry Potter, the main strategy for filming the story is condensing the story. Annabeth becomes a composite character. A HUGE quest becomes a select few action scenes (one of which wasn't in the book at all). The main bad guy/plot isn't even introduced. And they lost alot of Riordan's humor in the translation to the screen. But it is a good family-friendly action flick, the pacing is good, the story is comprehensible, and the actors were well cast.

Speaking of, I'm a couple of chapters into Book 3 right now :) They're nice, easy reads, I can knock them off in an afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I still need to borrow SS&SM from you Icy. (Abbreviated that looks very, erm, racy? :lol:)

I'm be finishing Lawhead's Pendragon today. I orderd Grail from half.com but still waiting for it to get here so I'm wondering what to read in the meantime. I'm debating between total chick lit or nonfiction. All I've read so far this year is fantasy.

I still need to borrow SS&SM from you Icy. (Abbreviated that looks very, erm, racy? :lol:)

I'm be finishing Lawhead's Pendragon today. I orderd Grail from half.com but still waiting for it to get here so I'm wondering what to read in the meantime. I'm debating between total chick lit or nonfiction. All I've read so far this year is fantasy.

Check - perhaps when the guys are shooting things?

You need to read some Christopher Moore :yes:

lol.

I started "Road to Damietta" by Scott O'Dell. You know the author of "Island of the Blue Dolphins". Interesting read so far. It's about St. Francis of Assisi. Kind of, really it's about a girl who thinks she's in love with him. I must have picked it up at a garage sale or thrift shop a few years ago, but I'd never read it. I think it will be a one read sort of book though. Want to read it when I'm done Icy? Otherwise I'll probably send it to Rachael.

Guest REVROSWELL

The Bible: Its Original Languages and English Translations. Why doesn't anyone ever want to borrow my books? :(

Oh Hanfan nice avatar! I believe anyone that takes a lot of pics of ducks has one like that, I have several, at first I thought your avatar was one of my photographs (cropped), but I think I have deleted it from my hard drive....

rr

I started "Road to Damietta" by Scott O'Dell. You know the author of "Island of the Blue Dolphins". Interesting read so far. It's about St. Francis of Assisi. Kind of, really it's about a girl who thinks she's in love with him. I must have picked it up at a garage sale or thrift shop a few years ago, but I'd never read it. I think it will be a one read sort of book though. Want to read it when I'm done Icy? Otherwise I'll probably send it to Rachael.

I think I read that when I was a kid... it sounds familiar, and I read alot of Scott O'Dell. I'll give it a shot.

I am positively disenchanted with Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. I'm 150 pages in (pretty much exactly halfway), and nothing has happened. It's like The Historian with more forced flowery language :rolleyes: I think I'm going to go back to Michelle Lovric's The Floating Book. Things actually happen - within a prologue and two chapters :p

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, I'm about half-way through Pattern Recognition by William Gibson. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I've been doing a whole lot of Gibson reading these past few months. Not all of his books are stellar, but they all have this... feel to them that I can't quite get enough of. Pattern Recognition is the first book that Gibson wrote that takes place in present-day time. All his other books are futuristic. It's a good book for people like us, people who have met initially on the internet and then grow close to each other. It describes the sensation of being completely at home with a group of people you've never met while managing to be completely lonely in your real life. It's a sharp narrative on internet culture today.

Of all of Gibson's books, that description you just gave makes me actually want to read it.

Me, I picked Philippa Gregory's The White Queen up from the library's express rack. The fact that the main character described her first sight of the male protag as "dazzling" made me roll my eyes. The fact that his name is Edward even more so :lol: Otherwise... it's a little slow, and the writing style is a little stilted, but now that I'm getting into the palace intrigue it seems to be picking up.

• 2 weeks later...

I started two different books today. The first is Shadowland by Alyson Noel. I'll admit, I'm starting to get to the point where I can't handle the 'angsty immortal guy and angsty teenage girl get together' thing anymore, but I read the first two books and I hate to be left hanging in the middle of a series, so... yeah.

The second is Arabian Nights, which I'm finding interesting so far, though I'm kind of annoyed by how slutty all the women in this book are.

I'll admit, I'm starting to get to the point where I can't handle the 'angsty immortal guy and angsty teenage girl get together' thing anymore, but I read the first two books and I hate to be left hanging in the middle of a series, so... yeah.

Twilight created a monster, didn't it? I won't read anything from the teen section of the library unless it's been highly recommended anymore :p

Just finished Bite Me, the sequel to You Suck, by Christopher Moore. Need to do a liberry run.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I liked it better than You Suck. You've read A Dirty Job, right? It fizzles out in the end, but the first 3/4 make it more than worth the read.

I'm reading Danielle Trussoni's Angelology, which is surprisingly good so far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.