Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Love Christopher Moore but haven't read Lamb yet. I'm saving it for last since the general consensus is that it's his best work.

I finished Me Talk Pretty One Day and started reading The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti. According to Junot Diaz on the front cover, she is a "twenty-first century Robert Louis Stevenson".

Actually, if you're in Gaspar's temple (not at the gates, inside), it's no longer a spoiler ;)

OMG wait until you get to the Beatitudes :lol:

So, I've finished Lamb and You Suck: A Love Story, and I'm about five chapters into Lauren Kate's Fallen, which is so far Twilight in reform school. I'll wait until the end of the book to make the final judgement as to whether that is a good, bad, or so-so thing to be.

Finished WoT 12 this morning. This was the book written after Robert Jordan died, and surprisingly I think I liked it more than the last few that Jordan had written. :hmm: Maybe it's just the fact that I was ready for a new writing style, by the time I got to it. But he also seemed to stay on track more and tied up some loose ends.

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Example 1:

The Archchancelor turned to his left "What about you, Dean ? You know all the old..."

Ponder groaned. The rest of the wizards shut their eyes and braced themselves. This might be bad.

Ridcully stared down at two empty chairs, with the imprint of a buttock in each one. One or two of the faculty pulled their hats down over their heads, It had been two weeks now and it had not got any better.

He took a deep breath and roared "Traitor !", which was a terrible thing to say to two dimples in leather.

Example 2

She was, in fact, quite a pleasant looking girl, even if her bosom had clearly been intended for a girl two feet taller; but she was not Her.

Footnote: The Egregious Professor of Grammar and Usage would have corrected this to "she was not she", which would have caused the Professor of Logic to spit out his drink.

Example 3

Emboldened, he added, "I should point out, though, that under UU law, Archchancellor, a ban doesn't matter. Wizards are not supposed to take notice of such a ban. We are not subject to mundane law."

"Of course. But nevertheless it is generally convenient to acknowledge the civil power"; said Ridcully, speaking like a man choosing his words with such care that he was metaphorically taking some of them outside to look at them more closely in daylight.

I loled.

I just finished The Lightning Thief (the first book in the Percy Jackson series) yesterday. I picked it up to start reading it for a book discussion and I couldn't put it down! I ordered all the other ones off of inter-library loan today :yes:

What's the ILL wait on those like? I want to give them a shot, but with the movie out... I don't want to wait a year to get them :p I think my friend has them, tho, I may see if I can borrow her copies.

I'm reading E. Christian Kopf's The Devil Knows Latin: Why America Needs the Classical Tradition right now... and I'm 100 pager or so into The Satanic Verses :lol: When ILL orders come in, they do so in droves!

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I can see why this is snapping Harry Potter fans up. It's very similar - engaging story and characters, and the writing is admittedly simple but not incredibly dumbed down (bonus points for throwing random Greek words and phrases in and not always translating them :lol:).

Started "To the Nines" (Stephanie Plum #9) by Janet Evanovich last night. I still like it, but the last 2 books sort of pissed me off because of what they did with character relationships. It's supposedly fixed in this book, but it made me think a little less of the writer because I thought it was lazy.

For those of you who have read it:

I could tell that the author just broke up Stephanie and Morrelli so that she could go screw Ranger. I had no problem with Ranger being a non-sexual friend and a mentor she could depend on. But Stephanie has pretty much been a giant whore for books 7 and 8, and it was not appealing to me. I can get that she's not ready to be a mom and a homemaker, but the way it was portrayed was just immature.

They do fix it...

She has sex with Ranger exactly once, and after that it becomes a charged-but-platonic relationship again. And it was CLEARLY fan service that there was a sex scene with Ranger to begin with. I'm a "cupcake", but the majority of my friends are "babes", and they positively cheered that something finally happened with Ranger. Stephanie and Morelli are still very hot-and-cold with their relationship, tho, even though he takes her back.

You may want to avoid the "between-the-numbers" holiday stories, tho. If you think two men in her life is complicated...

Copper, I remember you telling me something about how the character didn't learn from the situations she's been through.

I think I was just creeped out because I saw Ranger as a big brother figure in her life. Like, Stephanie has Morrelli with his Alpha Male/Protector personality, but I saw Ranger as the mysterious mentor. And right after they slept together, he went straight back to that, but making dirty jokes because he knew it bothered her. If anything, Ranger was probably the most mature one out of all three of them! It just didn't seem worth it to me for a quick screw that lasted a page.

Maybe I'm just bothered when I read stories about women acting stupid.

I think I was just creeped out because I saw Ranger as a big brother figure in her life. Like, Stephanie has Morrelli with his Alpha Male/Protector personality, but I saw Ranger as the mysterious mentor.

Even after he spent the whole first book telling Stephanie that he was going to ruin her for other men? There was always a TON of sexual tension between them.

Oh, I just spent about an hour laying out in the sun reading not-quite-half of the second Percy Jackson book B-)

I just got Psych: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read in the mail. Yes. A novelization of the television show. I'm going through withdrawals.

BONUS: Borders has this awesome deal going on-- if they don't have a book in stock they'll ship it to you FOR FREE! that's why I got the book in the mail. That, with my 20% off coupon I got in my email was the best deal I've had in weeks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.