Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Should I be reading The Vampire Lestat first? Or do they not go in a particular order?

No, you're staring in the right place - IWTV was written and published first, both IRL and in the world of the books. It's just that most people stop with IWTV... and TVL is the better novel, I think so at least. Rice really hits her stride when she takes up Lestat's voice :)

Jeez Shannon, you're whipping through those suckers!

This will probably be TMI for the guys, but I'm only reading while pumping. lol. Shows how much time I actually spend hooked up to that machine. :p If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have any time to read.

I started Interview With a Vampire earlier today. I've never read anything by Anne Rice before and I'm only about 30 pages into it, but it seems good so far.

Whoo hoo! Just make sure you also read The Vampire Lestat to get a good feel for the series. Louis is... whiny. Lestat is awesome :)

Hey, I named my cat after Louis! :(

I just started Stephen King's Cell tonight. He's always been one of my favorite authors and, though I've read over thirty of his books, it's actually been a long time since the last one.

I know his books can often have a sort of slow build up - that is NOT the case here! I'm only two chapters in and there's already more action and mystery than you can shake a demonic car at! :eek:

To all you Lestat peeps: Louis is a badass mothersucker, yo !

Sure... once he stops crying and can re-apply his emo eyeliner ;)

Okay, okay, I'll stop...

I'm halfway through Perdido Street Station, and I have to say, with all the dystopian fiction I've polished off this year so far, I really want science to just STOP. Right here. We're good, really. We don't need to get to the point where we're re-making people. Or generating super-viruses that kill everyone. Or create intelligent machines that breed us for batteries.

I need to read something happy next. I'm thinking a Christopher Moore novel.

Guest Amidala777

Unfortunately, the only three things I've been reading as of late are the NY Statutes, Delaware General Corporations Law, and the Uniform Commercial Code. That and Wired and Vogue magazines.

But.... the book I most recently finished was The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, by Mearsheimer and Walt. Absolutely fascinating, especially for politics nerds like myself.

Other books I've gotten through in the past 6-8 months or so:

Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers and Acquisitions, Rosenbaum, Pearl, Perella

Faust, by Goethe (both parts, 2nd time reading)

Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State, by Gelman

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, by the great Christopher Hitchens

Gone With the Wind, by Mitchell

Nausea, by Sartre

A History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russell

Great Expectations, Dickens (probably the 10th time I've read it or so)

Once I have the free time, next up on my list is: The Oxford History of Western Music, by Taruskin. I got the 5 volume set for x-mas and am so excited about it!!!

Reading Xenocide. Good so far. Card is able to walk the tightrope of simplicity and eloquence better than just about any author in the genre. My feelings about him as a person makes it really hard to appreciate the book as fully as I did Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead, which is a shame, as his writing apparently matured somewhat as the '80s drew to a close (and ironically, around the same time he started losing his mind).

Reading Xenocide. Good so far. Card is able to walk the tightrope of simplicity and eloquence better than just about any author in the genre. My feelings about him as a person makes it really hard to appreciate the book as fully as I did Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead, which is a shame, as his writing apparently matured somewhat as the '80s drew to a close (and ironically, around the same time he started losing his mind).

I lol'ed.

I have the (dubious) pleasure of living near Card, and he really is a jackass. I used to love his stuff, but can barely stomach it now, because of his loathsome persona. Said persona, btw, has even begun to creep into his writing of late.

I have the (dubious) pleasure of living near Card, and he really is a jackass.
How so? Never picks up after taking his dogs on a walk across your lawn?

I used to love his stuff, but can barely stomach it now, because of his loathsome persona. Said persona, btw, has even begun to creep into his writing of late.
Really, really sad. He started out so brilliantly, too. So brilliantly! The tired refrain of "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" come to mind every time I see or hear of him lately.

:no:

I have the (dubious) pleasure of living near Card, and he really is a jackass.
How so? Never picks up after taking his dogs on a walk across your lawn?

I used to love his stuff, but can barely stomach it now, because of his loathsome persona. Said persona, btw, has even begun to creep into his writing of late.
Really, really sad. He started out so brilliantly, too. So brilliantly! The tired refrain of "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" come to mind every time I see or hear of him lately.

:no:

He has a column ("Uncle Orson Reviews Everything") in a local rag (The Rhinoceros Times) and he's just an arrogant schmo. I ran into him at a grocery store not long ago and he was just berating the sales clerk because they quit carrying some brand of ice cream he likes. I also went to a book signing of his at the Borders store here in Greensboro NC, and I asked him a question about if he was ever going to do a sequel to Lovelock. He went off on this ten minute tirade about how authors create their works for themselves and don't owe fans an explanation of what or why they do anything they do. I was all like "Dude, srsly. I wasn't trying to give you career advice. I just asked a question."

:

He went off on this ten minute tirade about how authors create their works for themselves and don't owe fans an explanation of what or why they do anything they do.
Hahah. This, and tantrums about frozen treats. Oh, how the mighty have devolved. Hard to believe it's the same guy who was so humble and thankful to his family, friends, publisher, fans, etc. when he first became successful.

Regardless, I'm finding myself enjoying the book and too curious about philotes/ansible connections to put it down.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.