Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Isabel Allende's Daughter of Fortune here. The set-up got a little tedious, but now that I'm into the actual story (which started halfway into the book - I seem to have a knack for finding books with ungodly amounts of set-up these days), it's gotten pretty interesting.

I've never heard of that one, Iceheart. What's it about?

The book jacket will tell you that it's about a Chilean woman who sets off to find her lover who has left for California during the 1849 Gold Rush. Yeah. That happens at the book's halfway point. It's more about the life story of said woman and all of the people around her. It was a bestseller about 10 years ago, and it was one of Oprah's book club picks, so you'd probably recognize it if you saw the cover.

It's not bad at all, it's just not as good as Allende's Zorro.

I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of starting World War Z. Okay. Not the actual battle. The book. I'm thinking a cake is in order for the occasion. Topped with a lone candle. The gift of the final few chapters would be very welcome, dear you-know-who-you-are. :unimpressed:

i've been having a hard time getting through two different books so I picked up a popcorn novel. about 1/4 of the way through Promises in Death by JD Robb. Just what the doctor ordered!

I might have to actually try her books now that I've heard you say you like them. I've been avoiding them on principle, because I look at the big writing on the cover saying, "Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb" and think "What can possibly be the point in writing under a pen name if you name yourself RIGHT THERE?!" I have yet to figure it out :)

Ah, well originally she wrote just under the pen name. It was part of a deal she made with her original publishing house. I don't know the specifics but eventually it came out that she was JD Robb and then she started putting her name on all the JD Robb books to make more money :)

It's not bad at all, it's just not as good as Allende's Zorro.

Do you have Zorro or was that a library/borrowed read?

I just started Wheel of Time book 10 last night. I'm hoping to finish 10, 11, and 12 soon. Then I can give the books back to my friend and free up shelf space for my books from storage. I think after I finish these, I might have to read Anne of Green Gables or something way girly. lol. Oh, I haven't read Girl of the Limberlost in years. I think that will be next on my list.

Ahh Copper, I guess that makes more sense. I always assumed that she wrote her romance novels under Nora Roberts and then started using J.D. Robb when she started writing straight fiction and I was confused.

I finished Why I Let My Hair Grow Out and I really liked it! Screw the easy reading level, it was hilarious. I'm definitely reading the next two in the series :yes:

Do you have Zorro or was that a library/borrowed read?

I liked the library's copy so much I bought one for my very own :) I own Daughter of Fortune, too. I take it this means you want to come over again sometime soon? ;)

I started Gregory Maguire's Son of a Witch this morning over coffee. He's just dangerous. I read almost 100 pages in one go, and had to force myself to put it down. As I'm all but snowed in today and short on priorities, I'm sure I'll have it done by tomorrow at the latest :p

We got at least that, I'd even estimate up to a foot. The plows went through, and my dad took the snowblower to the driveway, but my mom took the car with the snow tires, and no one's too keen on trying out the Olds' bald tires on all of the packed ice from the last melt-off, so we're homebodies today :p

I started Interview With a Vampire earlier today. I've never read anything by Anne Rice before and I'm only about 30 pages into it, but it seems good so far.

Whoo hoo! Just make sure you also read The Vampire Lestat to get a good feel for the series. Louis is... whiny. Lestat is awesome :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.