Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

• 2 weeks later...

I'm halfway through Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. OMFG, I am OBSESSED with this book. It is SO GOOD. If I didn't have T-Day company coming over today, I would have stayed up all night to finish it. I'm trying to figure out what kind of mind reads this and says "let's make this a Broadway musical!" tho. It's pretty dark.

I'm halfway through Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. OMFG, I am OBSESSED with this book. It is SO GOOD. If I didn't have T-Day company coming over today, I would have stayed up all night to finish it. I'm trying to figure out what kind of mind reads this and says "let's make this a Broadway musical!" tho. It's pretty dark.

Haha, I agree. Although, I saw the Broadway show, and they "Disneyed" it up big time. I ended up liking the musical better, but I think that was because of all the singing. :D

I've never heard of that one, Copper. Would you recommend it?

Haha, I agree. Although, I saw the Broadway show, and they "Disneyed" it up big time. I ended up liking the musical better, but I think that was because of all the singing. :D

I've only heard "Popular" and "Defying Gravity" from the musical, I've never seen it, and don't know that much about it... but I'm sure I'd be crying bull**** on the Disneyfication, too much so to really enjoy it :p I liked the darkness and the social commentary of the book.

edit: yeah, I just read the Wikipedia synopsis of the musical's plot. W.T.F? That sounds comparatively awful.

Right now, I'm reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Yes, finally. That whole college thing put a massive cramp in my novel reading style. So far, it's a slow read, and took a bit to get my attention. I also don't like how I'm not sure half the time if it's the father or daughter speaking, but that may be because it's so slow that I'm only skimming through some bits. I don't know, I'm only 100 pages in, too soon to make a good decision about whether I really like it or not.

i think i may have felt some moisture down in the depths of my stony heart, yeah. :p

oh, and i was over halfway through law of nines before i stopped to play co-op 'splosion man earlier, and yet still nothing massive had really happened. it seems as though it's all about to kick off, but i'm not sure goodkind's nailed the pacing of a fish-out-of-water story. there seems to have been too much time wasted on whether his visitor was telling the truth or not about being from the gifted world- hasn't been too much thrilling, yet. :/

I finally started reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter after buying it about a month ago. It's an odd experience because I just re-watched the first few episodes of Dexter Season 1 with my brother, and there are bits of dialogue that are verbatim from the book. It's weird though because even though I've watched the series, the Dexter I picture while reading the book doesn't look like the Dexter from the show.

I finally started reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter after buying it about a month ago. It's an odd experience because I just re-watched the first few episodes of Dexter Season 1 with my brother, and there are bits of dialogue that are verbatim from the book. It's weird though because even though I've watched the series, the Dexter I picture while reading the book doesn't look like the Dexter from the show.

Oh, goodie. Yeah. TV Dexter is pretty different from book Dexter, though I've only seen a few episodes. Fun book, though, isn't it?

I enjoyed the book, but I didn't compare it too heavily to the show. For me the show is absolutely perfect, so I can totally see why they deviated from the book's plot. I love that the author gave the show writers license to change things because the changes added so much suspense. If you like the book I definitely recommend watching the show from beginning to end.

Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt's Dracula The Undead. Yes, my library had the infamous new sequel, and I'm now halfway through. It's not bad so far. It's very violent and gory and perversely sexual, but in a way that's only slightly uncomfortable. The historical implications they're making are a little hokey, but it's a fantasy novel, so I can get beyond that (it's no worse than reading the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series). And they're not trying to copy Bram Stoker's voice, they have a voice and style all their own, which is good. It's also interesting seeing Dacre Stoker write his great-granduncle as a character.

... and I'm halfway through The Historian. I might just buy my own copy so I can pick at it when I feel like it. I like it, but I can only manage a handful of chapters in one go, and I'm not so taken with the story that I need to know what happens next RIGHT NOW. So, I'm reading around it.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across Fallen by Lauren Kate when I was cataloging at the library where I work. The website I download records from for our system was being slow so I started reading it. It grabbed me immediately, but one of my coworkers had called dibs on it first :( It's okay, though, because she's gone for the holidays so I took it anyways :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.