Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

You know, I just had a thought. I have to put the Sookie book in a discreet place this weekend. If mom takes one look at the cover and think she failed in my raising. :lol: I love my mom.

I wanted quick reading when I choose the book, so Sookie it was.

You know, I just had a thought. I have to put the Sookie book in a discreet place this weekend. If mom takes one look at the cover and think she failed in my raising. :lol: I love my mom.

LMAO! I'm sorry! I actually have two copies, and the other has the cartoon-y cover like the one Dead Until Dark had, but I thought I'd give you the tv tie-in for a change :lol:

edit - wait, I think I gave you the tie-in with the lips last time, too. Okay, I have the full run of the cartoon covers that you will see when I give you 3 and 4, as well as the two tie-ins :lol:

stephanie meyer- twilight. yes, i caved. i did the same thing for harry potter (after resisting for a good 3 or 4 years) and that was a good decision. this one... i'm not so sure. i'm up to where she's talking to edward in biology for the first time, and so far i'm slightly disappointed; the way she goes on about not fitting in, sarcasm and dressing in black makes it clear it was written for 14-year-olds, and i'm pretty sure i already know why edward is so rigid and gripping the table. so while it's an easy 5 or 6 hour read, it also feels slightly hollow.

edit: finished, not too bad. a little too predictable in places, and some passages place it firmly in the 14-year-old girl niche, but it wasn't as terrible as it seems from the movie trailers and fans. there were a few funny bits and possibly even an emotional part or two.

what do you mean good luck? Did you not like it? I'm so confused!

I LOVED it, but it scared me so badly that a decade later I'm still having the occasional Handmaid's Tale nightmare. The only other book of hers that I've picked up since is The Penelopiad, because that's the only one that has seemed "safe" so far :shrug:

UT... :thumbsup: Good for you for venturing into teen chick lit! You have balls :lol:

*checks* yes, i do! :p seriously though, i'll read pretty much anything i can get my hands on. it's the only way to stop running out of reading material...

i'm nearly two thirds of the way through new moon now, i'm enjoying this one more than the first. well, enjoying isn't quite the right word- depressed, anxious, heartbroken... they all fit. ;) meyer can write emotions well, i'll give her that, it's just a shame she can't write suspense and mystery well. at all. predicting plot twists 80 pages before they happen has lost its entertainment value.

also: why is the advert at the bottom of the page for BSN nutrition, featuring a picture of forest griffin kicking what looks like rampage jackson in the face? has someone talked about UFC further up the page?

ok, finished all four published ones now. other than the general post-happy-ending contentment, i don't really feel anything towards the last two books at all. i'm not sure why, really. which i'm pretty sure puts them in the "bad book" category- if they haven't really engendered any lasting feeling, they haven't really succeded as books, i think.

initially i was slightly disappointed at the happy ending, but now i think sad endings are overrated in terms of artistic integrity- the apparent consensus that you have to kill off a bunch of people and put conditions on the future in order to keep it gritty and realistic, which in turn elevates artistic merit, seems flawed to me.

but, i'm going to read the final draft of midnight sun- it came with the download anyway, and the concept intrigues me. after that, it's on to neil ****ing gaiman. anyone know which one i should read first of his? i have everything, i think.

YEAH, NEIL ****ING GAIMAN!!!

I'd recommend The Sandman series first, but if you don't have that - Neverwhere is a very logical (and good) starting place, although if you want to be all caught up for the Ananzi Boys movie they're apparently making, you may want to start with American Gods so you can go on to Ananzi Boys... although AG is a love-it-or-hate-it book, and I thought Ananzi Boys was his weakest book, so perhaps they're not great introductions :shrug: But something tells me you'd be able to appreciate what he's doing with AG.

As for Midnight Sun - it makes Robert Pattinson's portrayal of Edward in the movie (as well as all of the stuff that was in the movie but not in the book wtf???) make much, much more sense. I liked it well enough, but it stops right before the part I most wanted to see.

As for me... "The Great Panic" section of WWZ was very hard for me to get through, but I'll probably finish WWZ either tonight or tomorrow.

finished midnight sun, it was pretty interesting, as i'd hoped. odd how i didn't mind reading from edward's perspective, but didn't particularly enjoy reading jacob's point of view in full moon. i don't think i ever really liked jacob that much.

i also figured out why the last two books didn't affect me: the characters- especially the peripheral ones- were becoming more and more two-dimensional, reminding me that the books feel like they were written only for the target audience, and not the author herself. so i cared less and less about all but the most major characters, and even those i wasn't bothered about, because i could then feel the happy ending was coming, where i hadn't been sure before. keep the audience onside, you know. get more sales out of them.

but anyway, onto bigger and better things. i have sandman, but i'm not sure if i want to start with a big comic book series. i think i'll start with neverwhere, then sandman, then AG/AB. even after that there's still about 25 more to read- i downloaded his entire works, i think. still, at least i have stardust down already, that's a start.

YEAH, NEIL ****ING GAIMAN!!!

I'd recommend The Sandman series first, but if you don't have that - Neverwhere is a very logical (and good) starting place, although if you want to be all caught up for the Ananzi Boys movie they're apparently making, you may want to start with American Gods so you can go on to Ananzi Boys... although AG is a love-it-or-hate-it book, and I thought Ananzi Boys was his weakest book, so perhaps they're not great introductions :shrug: But something tells me you'd be able to appreciate what he's doing with AG.

As for Midnight Sun - it makes Robert Pattinson's portrayal of Edward in the movie (as well as all of the stuff that was in the movie but not in the book wtf???) make much, much more sense. I liked it well enough, but it stops right before the part I most wanted to see.

As for me... "The Great Panic" section of WWZ was very hard for me to get through, but I'll probably finish WWZ either tonight or tomorrow.

Do you actually have WWZ, Icy, or is it a borrowed copy? Joe was just saying last night that he wants to read it. He heard an interview with the author on NPR a while back and was reminded about it when we were talking about P&P&Z.

finished midnight sun, it was pretty interesting, as i'd hoped. odd how i didn't mind reading from edward's perspective, but didn't particularly enjoy reading jacob's point of view in full moon. i don't think i ever really liked jacob that much.

i also figured out why the last two books didn't affect me: the characters- especially the peripheral ones- were becoming more and more two-dimensional, reminding me that the books feel like they were written only for the target audience, and not the author herself. so i cared less and less about all but the most major characters, and even those i wasn't bothered about, because i could then feel the happy ending was coming, where i hadn't been sure before. keep the audience onside, you know. get more sales out of them.

but anyway, onto bigger and better things. i have sandman, but i'm not sure if i want to start with a big comic book series. i think i'll start with neverwhere, then sandman, then AG/AB. even after that there's still about 25 more to read- i downloaded his entire works, i think. still, at least i have stardust down already, that's a start.

I liked Jacob's POV, mostly because she gave more insight into Leah's character there. I thought Leah was the most interesting of the secondary characters, personally. I was sad that she had nothing to do with Bella's story, and therefore had nothing to do with anything... which makes me wonder why she was even there, but oh well.

I liked Edward's POV... but he's really, really creepy, and I wanted to scream at Bella to RUN LIKE HELL through alot of it.

And my first exposure to Gaiman ever was Sandman, and I fell in love immediately, but your plan sounds like a good one :) Try to get your hands on the BBC's Neverwhere miniseries while you're at it :)

I LOVED it, but it scared me so badly that a decade later I'm still having the occasional Handmaid's Tale nightmare.

Ditto that. I read it in high school when I went through a phase of interest in dystopian fiction (1984, Brave New Word, We, Handmaid's Tale, etc) and it scared the crap out of me - had a dream or two about it myself.

Are they as good as the illustrations in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? :D

No :(

I LOVED it, but it scared me so badly that a decade later I'm still having the occasional Handmaid's Tale nightmare.

Ditto that. I read it in high school when I went through a phase of interest in dystopian fiction (1984, Brave New Word, We, Handmaid's Tale, etc) and it scared the crap out of me - had a dream or two about it myself.

I'm sorry it scared you too, but thank heavens! I always thought I was just too sensitive...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.