Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

I'm currently reading Explorations by Robert D. Ballard, the man who discovered the wreck of the Titanic and it's it's fascinating. I've been morbidly obsessed with shipwrecks for as long as I can remember and this book is a highly detailed account of the long serch and final discovery of the wreck along with his other successful discoveries, among them also is the finding of the wreck of the Bismarck haven't got to that part yet. :D

Sounds like the perfect book for you, Sulis!

Copper, I finished Every Visible Thing a couple days ago, and I went to sleep that night feeling depressed. She does such a good job of making you care about the characters. I think I liked The Mermaids Singing better for some reason, but both were very good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now I'm going to read the Harry Potter series again (assuming the library has them all.)

Just finished my Halloween reads (Night on Lonesome October, Dracula, and Call of Cthulu) for the year. I've got this idea for a steampunk novel so I've sort of charted out a cycle of books to read to get me in the mind set.

All my Halloween books were roughly turn of the century, so I'm going from Dracula to Fred Saberhagen's Holmes/Dracula File, then Gibson/Sterling's The Difference Engine, Welles From Earth To Moon, ending with re-reading select bits from The Devil in the White City.

That should sufficiently fill my mind with Victorian steam/aether post modernist angst.

What'd you think of The Case for a Creator, JC? I have it but I've never gotten around to reading it. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

As someone who is neither mathematically or scientifically-inclined, I found a lot of the discussion dry and, unfortunately, over my head. The book takes the format the other "The Case for..." books by Strobel do. He goes to experts in the fields of biochemistry, astronomy, biology, etc. to discuss problems with both traditional evolution and recent attempts to find alternate theories that would still allow for an old Earth and the macro-evolutionary theory.

The part that really spoke to me was in discussing historical fallacies, such as Columbus' era made up of people who believed the world was flat. That has gotten into history books for years (based on a biography of Columbus written by Washington Irving). Strobel's interview reveals that no educated person in the 15th century believed the world was flat and even the Bible which dates further back refers to the Earth as a sphere.

It also talks about alleged church persecution of scientists, pointing out that Galileo received a pension from the church his entire life. (No one denies that the Catholic Church was not perfect during this time, but that allegations of persecution of people like him has been greatly exaggerated)

What'd you think of The Case for a Creator, JC? I have it but I've never gotten around to reading it. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

As someone who is neither mathematically or scientifically-inclined, I found a lot of the discussion dry and, unfortunately, over my head. The book takes the format the other "The Case for..." books by Strobel do. He goes to experts in the fields of biochemistry, astronomy, biology, etc. to discuss problems with both traditional evolution and recent attempts to find alternate theories that would still allow for an old Earth and the macro-evolutionary theory.

I hear ya, JC. I'm enjoying this book because I have the scientific background. I showed my husband a chapter from "The Case for Christ" to answer a question he had, and he was able to understand, but I think "Creator" might either be too over his head or dry for him to enjoy it. I really like how he talks to experts in the field, though. But that might be the nerd in me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly not. Should I be? :)

I'm on chapter 5 of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. It sucks because it's due back today and some stupidhead requested it so I can't renew it. Now I need to get at the end of the waiting list to get it back. It's a good thing I'm not at an exciting part. I don't care that I've already read it before. I don't wanna wait to find out what happens (again!) Now I need to figure out something else to get at the library.

I just got the book, Steven Pressfield- The gates of fire.

It was actually recommended to me by the nightly net book club. I haven't started it yet but I'll get back to you and say how good it is. A few people here have said it's really good so I'm looking forward to it.

I am reading two books by Gillian Summers (which by the by are actually two females; Berta Platas and Michelle Roper; writing under a pseudonym): The Tree Shepard's Daughter and Into the Wildewood. The second book listed just came out and there is supposed to be a third book. Anyways, it is very fast reading and rather interesting. It is a fantasy story told in modern day and takes place amongst Ren Faires. I laugh a lot of the time while reading, totally able to picture scenes being described that you would see at a Faire. If you love Ren Faires, I think you would like these books. I'll give you the Amazon synopsis of both books, since I am very bad at being able to give an account.

The Tree Shepard's Daughter

When her mother dies, fifteen-year-old Keelie Heartwood is forced to leave her beloved California to live with her nomadic father at a renaissance festival in Colorado. After arriving, Keelie finds men in tights and women in trailer trash-tight bodices roaming half-drunk, calling each other lady and lord even after closing time! Playacting the Dark Ages is an L.A. girl’s worst nightmare.

Keelie has a plan to ditch this medieval geekland ASAP, but while she plots, strange things start happening—eerie, yet familiar. When Keelie starts seeing fairies and communicating with trees, she uncovers a secret that links her to a community of elves. As Keelie tries to come to grips with her elfin roots, disaster strikes, and Keelie’s identity isn’t the only thing that’s threatened.

One part human determination and one part elfin magic, Keelie Heartwood is a witty new heroine in a world where fantasy and reality mix with extraordinary results.

Source

Into the Wildewood

After squelching an evil plot by a rotten fairy, Keelie Heartwood is ready for fun at the upcoming Wildewood Renaissance Faire. Getting to know her elf dad has been great, but camping out in his homemade RV while acting out the 16th century isn't so fab. Keelie prefers hot showers and wearing a watch, thank you very much. And a cool new cell phone would be nice, too. But with fairies turning up in the oddest places, an unfortunate misunderstanding about a credit card bill, and that nasty, stuck-up elf-girl, Elia, Keelie's plans to have a good time are all but ruined. So far, life as an elf isn't all that enchanting. And then the unicorn shows up.

Source.

Anyone ever read 'The Longest Tea Party' by Richard DiLello?

It's a very wonderful book. DiLello worked at Apple Corps. during the time of The Beatles (duh TF) and gives a great insight to what it was actually like to work there. It's how you would imagine it, that is, if you imagine the corporation to be full of happy hippies XD

I highly recommend it, especially if you're a Beatles fan!

The Tree Shepard's Daughter

When her mother dies, fifteen-year-old Keelie Heartwood is forced to leave her beloved California to live with her nomadic father at a renaissance festival in Colorado. After arriving, Keelie finds men in tights and women in trailer trash-tight bodices roaming half-drunk, calling each other lady and lord even after closing time! Playacting the Dark Ages is an L.A. girl’s worst nightmare.

Keelie has a plan to ditch this medieval geekland ASAP, but while she plots, strange things start happening—eerie, yet familiar. When Keelie starts seeing fairies and communicating with trees, she uncovers a secret that links her to a community of elves. As Keelie tries to come to grips with her elfin roots, disaster strikes, and Keelie’s identity isn’t the only thing that’s threatened.

One part human determination and one part elfin magic, Keelie Heartwood is a witty new heroine in a world where fantasy and reality mix with extraordinary results.

Okay, being a former ren faire vendor, I must needs to read this :lol:

edit: w00t, I just placed a library hold on it :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.